TJ adj. control arm length - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ adj. control arm length

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ adj. control arm length

I know there is a link on here telling what the lowers and front uppers should be for so much lift but all I could find was one for an XJ. Are they the same? If not any one no where it is or how long they need to be for RE 3.5 springs? Thanks

1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just crawled out from under jeep.

Uppers = 15 1/2" center bolt to center bolt
Lowers = 17 3/16" " "

The jeep was just aligned by OK4WD in March.

Last edited by njbowhntr; 05-24-2010 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: added measurements
njbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found a link that said about 16 1/2 for the lowers at 4" of lift. Is there any problems that occur if you run them any longer. I've heard some talk about the main thing is having the tire centered in the wheel well. Any opinions?
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My RE adj lowers are set at 16" center to center. 1/4" longer than stock. This is also the length of the RE fixed lowers for their 3.5" or 4.5" springs. No real need that I am aware of to go any longer. Currie uses the stock length of 15.75" on their 4" lift and that worked real well on my 97 tj.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

there all going to be a little diffrent the pinion angle is what is important
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coils Rule View Post
there all going to be a little diffrent the pinion angle is what is important
This.

Some people extend their lowers out as much as they can get away with to cheat a little extra wheelbase. The uppers will all be different to accurately set your pinion angle.
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

The most important thing about control arm length is making sure everything clears. You have to check it at full compression also, not just ride height. If you only drive it on the street you may get away with centering the wheel in the wheel opening, but not if you take it offroad much.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I should have elborated a little. Your not trying to point the pinion at the output shaft like you would with your rear end you want to "flatten out" you pinion angle to get the correct caster/camber. Looking at mine by eye ball it is almost level maybe even slightly down.
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am re setting my lowers/uppers soon, and I was going to set the lowers at 15 3/4 mabe 16, then the uppers too 13 1/2. Most likely I will not used exactly 13 1/2 for my uppers since my main focus is just getting the pinion angle back in alignment. If i were you I set the lowers to 16, and then just focus on getting the pinion angle correct, just make sure you stay within the boundaries of the control arms and how far they can be adjusted.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well the 1st reply I got said 17.5 which I thought was a little much unless he's comp cut or has extended wheel well openings. I'm gonna set it up for about 16 1/2 and see how everything clears. Thanks for the replys. Once I get this done I'm gonna submit it for Tj of the month. It's gonna be sweet. It's based of of Redlyners rig.
Unread 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

16.5" might be a bit long.

Especially in the rear with your 8.8 axle.

You will likely run in to clearance issues with the diff cover and the gas tank skid.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
LDO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was told from Rusty's with their adj lowers and my 3" lift the front should be set to 16.5
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There isn't any EXACT length. You need to know enough about your constraints to set the arms correctly for your setup. Ideally, you want to maximize wheelbase while preventing contact anywhere @ full bump all while running proper pinion/caster angles. It can come down to a game of fractions of an inch. If you don't care and just want to set the arms and go, set the lowers @ 16", maybe a hair more and set the uppers for pinion angle in the rear and find a good mix of pinion/caster up front.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have 4" suspension lift and my lowers are at 16 which is perfect for me. the uppers will vary for caster/pinion angle like most others have already said
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeck87 View Post
i have 4" suspension lift and my lowers are at 16 which is perfect for me. the uppers will vary for caster/pinion angle like most others have already said
Because I'm sure, 9 months later, he was still trying to figure this out.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control , control arm , length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.