TJ 4 Inch Front Spring Lengths - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ 4 Inch Front Spring Lengths

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TJ 4 Inch Front Spring Lengths

Hello,

I am currently running Pro Comp 4 inch tj springs in the front of my tj. I am also running OME long travel shocks. When one side of my front suspension is at full droop, my coil spring drops away from the upper pocket. I really like the shocks, so I would like to find some longer, yet still soft springs that will still give a 4" lift height.

Does anyone know the uncompressed free length of the Currie front 4" TJ springs?

How about the length of the Pro Comp 4 inch springs for comparison?

I have searched the web, but don't necessarily trust the information that I have found. I emailed Savvy twice, but I keep getting error messages back from my email system, so I don't know if the messages are going through or not. I am thinking some knows this information and can share it here.

If I can get these two measurements from someone, I would be able to determine if the Currie springs will be the right length. I am thinking about 1.5 to 2 inches longer would be about right.

Thanks!
Jess

2001 TJ Sahara, White. Dana 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.25" total lift, JKS Control arms and disconnects, Currie steering, M.O.R.E. Steering box brace, Woody CV shafts, Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid Plate, Undercover Fab Aluminum TC Skid Plate, Skid Row Engine Skid, Ultra Nomad Wheels, 35 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's

2004 LJ - Just getting started...
coyote595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
IslandSoul

You could do limiting straps for less than switching coils and keep the same ride quality. If you are a budget minded person you could use these and fab them to work instead of buying premade straps. They come in different lengths and different venders (these are from Northern Tool @ $10 ea) Or you might be able to get away with a Currie Anti Rock setup and figure out what setting will work.

IslandSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

not to hi-jack your thread, but are you using the ome lt shocks for a 4" lift or longer? I have the same coils and i dont like my fox's up front and want to move to ome.

back on subject though. limit straps would work. DJ safety has them, beard has them, off road warehouse has them, etc
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

From what I've seen, the procomps shorter, stiffer coils. The Currie springs are undoubtedly longer, I just don't know by how much.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to do limiting straps. It is a daily driver and I'd rather just have it be right. I do think the curries are longer. If no one knows the lengths on here I might just have to contact Currie and Pro Comp. Maybe Blaine or Gerald will chime in with some answers.

Desert TJ - Yes, I am using the OME LT shocks for 4 inches of travel. Going from memory, I think the part numbers were N66L and N67L. I got them from OK4WD because they had them in black at the time. Not sure why as OME's are usually yellow. They have a nice ride on the street and work fine offroad. Maybe a little softish offroad, but good most of the time. I would buy again. Been on for 3 years with no fluid seepage or any other problems. Hope this helps.
2001 TJ Sahara, White. Dana 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.25" total lift, JKS Control arms and disconnects, Currie steering, M.O.R.E. Steering box brace, Woody CV shafts, Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid Plate, Undercover Fab Aluminum TC Skid Plate, Skid Row Engine Skid, Ultra Nomad Wheels, 35 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's

Unread 03-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Ggg
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How far down does the spring come off the rubber isolator? Does it just slide down a little, or does the spring come all the way off the bump stop? My springs slide down about 1/2 way but thats it, they do not come off the spring guide. As far as limit straps, I do not see what being a DD has to do with running them or not.
I can get some 4"lift spring free length measurements tomorrow, but tonight I'm at work and will not be home till 09:00 or so.
Ggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Hockey85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As I recall the free length of the Currie 4" front spring is 22-1/4"
Hockey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, it is kind of hard to see from the driver's seat, but I have seen photos taken of my Jeep in that situation, and it looks like about 1.5" - 2". Plus when it happens it makes a clanging noise against the metal pillar of the upper bumpstop that is really annoying. These springs are about 9 years old, so I don't mind replacing them with new. They have been wheeled hard and are probably kind of sacked out anyway. If I could get the measurements, that would be great. Thanks!

Unread 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
ekim

My front Currie springs free length is 20 1/2" and installed they are 15 1/4" with a winch and heavy bumper.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! That will help. I have one post with a length of 22 1/4 and one with 20 1/2 for the Curries. Can we get a third for verification? The 22 1/4 sounds more like what I would need. Also I have never measured the Pro Comps when they were out, so I need that too to give me what I need to know. Anybody have the Pro Comp uninstalled length?

Thanks guys!

Unread 08-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sorry to bring up an old thread but does anyone know the free length of the currie 4 inch front and rear springs???
anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey85 View Post
As I recall the free length of the Currie 4" front spring is 22-1/4"
thats what I measured.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

what about the rear?? Thanks
anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote595 View Post
Anybody have the Pro Comp uninstalled length?

Thanks guys!
I just measured my old Pro Comp 4 incher's and they measure:

Front 20.5
Rear 15.25
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok this is strange. We have two people that have posted that the uncompressed freel length of the Curries is 22 1/4 inches. Another poster measured 20.5 inches. I called Currie a few months back and they said that the front 4 inch springs are 20 inches. You would think there would be only one answer, or that all the different answers would be close enough not to worry about, but the answers are like 2 inches different. I guess the only way is to contact Currie and have them pull a spring out of stock and have them physically measure it. If anyone calls them, please post up what Currie actually measured.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.