TJ 2" Skyjacker lift: tire, wheel, backspacing, gear ratio questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ 2" Skyjacker lift: tire, wheel, backspacing, gear ratio questions

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
WranglerTJ05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

TJ 2" Skyjacker lift: tire, wheel, backspacing, gear ratio questions

New to the forum and had some specific questions. I've scoured the posts and can't find all the information I wanted so was hoping for some help.

I have a 2005 Wrangler X and have only recently started doing some work on it. On top of new fog lights, rotors, nerf bars and floor mats, the only other mod was the 2" inch Skyjacker lift with Hydro shocks, followed by the necessary alignment. That lift had the 1" inch bumpstop extension, but everything else is stock: bumpstop, tires, wheels, springs, etc.

The Jeep is my daily driver on the road and only see's light off-road once every month or so. Not trying to rock crawl or anything.

Questions:
1) I've read that 32x11.5 would fit under the skyjacker lift, but would I need new wheels to adjust for backspacing? Or would steering stops, spacers and fender trimming be needed? How will that size affect off-road capability?

2) What sort of gear/axle ratio adjustment would be needed after installing those 32's to keep everything working nice and is that something I can do myself or need professional attention?

3) Or if I just get 31x10.5's could I avoid all that extra work/additions to the jeep? 31's would also have more space underneath to move around during off-road, right?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully not too long-winded.

WranglerTJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
rrent
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my new-to-me 2006 came 32X11.50 15's on what I guess is about 3.50-3.75" backspace 8" wide aftermarket wheels -- no lift.
I do very little off road, mainly just two rut roads to hunting areas - so flex isn't an issue and yes these tires to get into the flares on occasion.
With this tire/wheel/clearance experience - I have a set of 15X 8" 3.75" backspace steel Cragars and plan to run 33X12.50's with a 2" lift.

Unread 11-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
WranglerTJ05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, sounds like the 2" should give me more than enough room with 32's, provided a change the wheels to 15x8 and have the proper backspacing. Anyone have an idea as how much the gear ratio will be off at that point? After some initial reading, it seems like regearing can be done on your own, BUT only after reading everything you can, watching video's, and having a lot of time and patience on your hands.
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Many people do not regear for 32" tires.

You currently have either 3.07 or 3.73. If you have 3.73 gears, you'll be in better shape for the 32s.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
WranglerTJ05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Turns out I have the 3.07 but am only riding with 31s. I should survive, right?
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine. You really only need to regear once you hit 33s. I'll probably end up going back down to 31s maybe, go to 32s on my next set. I don't have the money to regear right now and 33s/3.73s just sucks.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.