Tires wearing faster outside half of tread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tires wearing faster outside half of tread.

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tires wearing faster outside half of tread.

I noticed my at's are wearing uneven. Just checked toe-1/8", 27lbs air and on garage floor measuring with a square, top to bottom they angle in at top rather than the opposite you would expect if camber was off due to ball joints.
No slop with tires off ground with the 6-12 0'clock pull.
All four are doing this. ?
Just swap to letters out to max the life out of them?
It's just something I noticed after a lot of miles on these, but nonetheless the inner blocks have easily over a 5/16" depth, outers maybe 3/16".
Is 1/8" toe too much?

05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

1/16" minimum with 1/8" toe-in being pretty appropriate for a 33" tire.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thought so. Just seemed with the uniformity of the issue left to right, my first guess was excessive toe rather than both side ball joints. Probably have 30-32k on em anyway.
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Slow down around corners.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutta View Post
I noticed my at's are wearing uneven. Just checked toe-1/8", 27lbs air and on garage floor measuring with a square, top to bottom they angle in at top rather than the opposite you would expect if camber was off due to ball joints.
No slop with tires off ground with the 6-12 0'clock pull.
All four are doing this. ?
Just swap to letters out to max the life out of them?
It's just something I noticed after a lot of miles on these, but nonetheless the inner blocks have easily over a 5/16" depth, outers maybe 3/16".
Is 1/8" toe too much?
Actually, my tires are wearing on the outside, and i have a feeling my tires are angled opposite, just like you mention. I was also told it's got to be the toe in, but checked mine just like you did and also was fine.....

Anyone else having this problem but us two?

(I used to rotate my tires frequently before and guess they were never worn enough for me to notice before they got swapped, but haven't done so in a long time now and definitely noticeable).
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Slow down around corners.
Haha. This thing is too high to speed on corners and besides, my slowness coincides with age, perhaps surely not wisdom

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.