Tires Size. Should I remove 3" BL? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tires Size. Should I remove 3" BL?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tires Size. Should I remove 3" BL?

I know opions are like elbows but I am looking for some feed back. When I bought my jeep it had a 3" body lift already installed and I have recently installed a 4" suspension lift. I am running 33" tires and I am debating on whether or not to remove the 3" body lift. See the attached pic and let me know if you think there is too much spacing between the tire and fenders. I dont want to cruise around looking like a dork with tires that look to small.

img_20130616_153048_695.jpg   img_20130616_153036_291.jpg  
Morgan_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
anotherlilguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Remove it. If I had the funds to do a 3-4 inch suspension lift, I would remove the body lift installed by a prior owner.
anotherlilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty much everyone around here is going to tell you to remove the 3" BL, or cut it down to 1".

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that much of a BL is uglier than sin.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify, I would only cut it to 1" instead of removal if you plan on a raised belly skid in the future.

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

For the LOVE OF GOD man,REMOVE IT!
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Just to clarify, I would only cut it to 1" instead of removal if you plan on a raised belly skid in the future.
Wouldn't be easier to buy a 1.25" BL? With all the crap that'll have to be removed with a 3" BL.Fan shroud 3" relocation brackets,3" grill supports,3" t case shifter bracket,3" shifter extender (if it's a 5 speed),3" longer fuel filler hose,steering linkage brace.
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan_TJ View Post
I know opions are like elbows but I am looking for some feed back. When I bought my jeep it had a 3" body lift already installed and I have recently installed a 4" suspension lift. I am running 33" tires and I am debating on whether or not to remove the 3" body lift. See the attached pic and let me know if you think there is too much spacing between the tire and fenders. I dont want to cruise around looking like a dork with tires that look to small.
Your profile says it's a 2" BL.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Wouldn't be easier to buy a 1.25" BL? With all the crap that'll have to be removed with a 3" BL.Fan shroud 3" relocation brackets,3" grill supports,3" t case shifter bracket,3" shifter extender (if it's a 5 speed),3" longer fuel filler hose,steering linkage brace.
You would know that better than me. I've never installed, removed, or modified any BL over 1.25" on a Jeep...

Quote:
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer a 4" lift with stock tires.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
You would know that better than me. I've never installed, removed, or modified any BL over 1.25" on a Jeep...
It's a PITA! I removed one on my buddy's YJ.I don't know why they even make them.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
...I don't know why they even make them...
Because people continue to buy them.

Quote:
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. The worst part about this is that i have to cut the nerf bars off so the body can come down. The previous owner welded the bars to the frame so that the tube rises about an 1 1/2" over the top of the frame. This will be a PITA to remove but I thought I would ask for some feed back.
Morgan_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan_TJ View Post
Thanks for the replies. The worst part about this is that i have to cut the nerf bars off so the body can come down. The previous owner welded the bars to the frame so that the tube rises about an 1 1/2" over the top.
Tell the heaviest women in the neighborhood that you're doing a sexy big girls edition calender photo shoot and to stand on your nerf bars.When they fall off under the heavy pressure,buy them all a McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger and send them on their way.
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman
Or to add in a MML to get rid of some tcase drop

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.