Tire size and gearing questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire size and gearing questions...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
firejeep42
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tire size and gearing questions...

This isn't the typical can I put x tire on my d35 thread....

I'm getting ready for my axle swap this spring and am putting parts together and had a few questions.

First off, the axles are a hp D44 front, and a 9" rear. Chromoly shafts, selectable lockers so they will handle the tires I'm looking into. I'll be putting on a clayton 5.5" long arm set up at the same time. With that and the 1.25 bl, I've been stuck on what size tires to run. I'm torn between 35"s and 37"s (I'm aware of having to stretch). I know it will clear 37"s but I'm afraid of not having enough room to flex and limiting my suspension travel to the point of being better of on 35"s. I did plan on going to metal cloak fenders at some point, but that may not be for a while. Hopefully some of you guys who ran this or similar lift setup can chime in and speak from experience. My question is, will I be able to flex on 37"s enough to make them a better choice over the 35"s

The next thing I'm stuck on is gears. I was pretty set on going 4.88s but the thought of doing 5.13s has been creeping into my mind. This isn't my DD, and doesn't see much highway time but it does get the occasional trip up the turnpike. I don't want to be redlining to keep up with traffic, but on the other hand I want to have enough power when I'm wheeling.

Hopefully you guys can throw some input an experience in here

Unread 09-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is only a 5% difference in the gearing that you are pondering, so you really won't notice much difference between them. Sound like you are more interested in off road performance so the 5.13 will most likely serve you best. As for the tires, if you find that the 37's rub too much you can add some bump stop extensions to fix that. Your tire size should be determined by your intended use and what will meet those needs the best.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For your AX-15, I'd definitely go 5.13 or 5.38 for 37" tires. 4.88 is ideal for 35's and your transmission but it's not for 37's. Having been burned by undergearing once years ago, I'd probably go 5.38 myself.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
firejeep42
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
As for the tires, if you find that the 37's rub too much you can add some bump stop extensions to fix that. Your tire size should be determined by your intended use and what will meet those needs the best.
Right, I planned on ultimately stepping up to 37"s in the long run. But I'm just concerned about losing too much flex or if I'd have to add too much bump stop with the stock fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
For your AX-15, I'd definitely go 5.13 or 5.38 for 37" tires. 4.88 is ideal for 35's and your transmission but it's not for 37's. Having been burned by undergearing once years ago, I'd probably go 5.38 myself.
37"s are the biggest I plan on going.. For now atleast....

Looks like you guys talked me into the 5.13s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.