Tire dilemma. 33's on a 98 TJ Sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire dilemma. 33's on a 98 TJ Sport?

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
dbdraggin

Tire dilemma. 33's on a 98 TJ Sport?

Hello everyone, I'm a very infrequent poster and a long time lurker here who has himself in a bind.

What I have? A 98 TJ Sport 4.0 with 31" BFG MTs

My problem? Inspection time is upon me and I need new tires.

I did a gear swap a while back (to 4.10) when my differential blew with the intention of going with 33's later on down the road.

I knew back then I would be needing at least a 2" lift to make 33's fit for decent off-roading use. I'm not nearly the hard core mad man as most of you guys are, but I love to leave the pavement when time allows to have some fun.

I've been preparing for the lift plus the tires for a while now, unfortunately some sadly unforeseen wallet bashing has occurred as of late and, for lack of a better word, I'm screwed.

I'll have the money for the lift in a few months at the latest, but I need the tires now and don't can't reasonably rationalize buying 2 sets of tires in a short span (31's again for inspection and then 33's later on), especially when one set I won't be using ever again after a few months.

So, what I'm asking is this... can I go with 33's and use my TJ strictly for street use until I can get the lift?

I've tried to use my imagination and pretended to have tires 2" bigger and checked for turning clearance with the steering wheel turned all the way in both directions, I don't see a problem on either side. And I can't see how they'll come up high enough to hit the fender flares unless I hit a big pothole or speed bumps at a high rate of speed, neither of which is high on my list of things to do in the near future.

Please note, that by no means do I claim to be any kind of authority in this field, but to my amature eye, I would think they'll fit for street use. But this is why I'm here to ask the experts, as opposed to blindly making a poor decision that will bite me in the ***.

Help?

Respectfully,
Russell

98 TJ Sport: 33" BFG ATs, AR 15x8 Baja's, Borla catback and header, air-raid tb spacer, Rusty a$$ Smitty Bilt tube bumpers front and rear, a lot of car audio to be installed someday... though the "someday" countdown started when I created this profile, and has yet to be installed to this day lol.
dbdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
dbdraggin

Also, a bit of information that I forgot to provide that may or may not be relevant, I have after market fender flares. I'm unsure of the brand name now, but I bought them off Quadratec and they are 7" wide and look just like the stock flares.
98 TJ Sport: 33" BFG ATs, AR 15x8 Baja's, Borla catback and header, air-raid tb spacer, Rusty a$$ Smitty Bilt tube bumpers front and rear, a lot of car audio to be installed someday... though the "someday" countdown started when I created this profile, and has yet to be installed to this day lol.

Last edited by dbdraggin; 07-28-2008 at 02:12 PM..
dbdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
rls88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you can run 33's without a lift, more than likely you will screw something up. Just go on E-Bay and get a 2" BB, they have them on there all the time for $59.00 with free shipping that will get you by until you have the money for a full spring lift.
rls88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just joking around one day we put a set of 35's on my friends then stock jeep and they fit but would rub the rear inner fender on any angles like a driveway. If it's strictly temporary you might consider doing a 1 inch body lift and stay on the streets and take it real easy and you probably could get by temporarily with the 33's. Just be careful! Also fined someone local and borrow there 33's for a test fit and I mean put all 4 on, if you were local I would say swing on by and I have a set or 2 you could test fit.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
rls88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hah, a body lift will work but that's alot more work then a set of 2" spacers on the springs and most body lifts are like $125.00 you can pickup the 2" budget boost for under $60.00
rls88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls88yj View Post
...you can pickup the 2" budget boost for under $60.00
With shocks? If not, it's not a budget boost, just coil spacers.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i had 33s on my jeep w/only 2" lift and rubbed everywhere, speed bumps, parking lots, driveways, i dont see how ppl get away with 33s and 2" lift while wheeling

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think you can run 33's without a lift, more than likely you will screw something up. Just go on E-Bay and get a 2" BB, they have them on there all the time for $59.00 with free shipping that will get you by until you have the money for a full spring lift.
I'd suggest this plan as well.

Check out CrawlerReady.com

I have used his BB spacers. They're just as good as any other out there and are very affordable. You can order from his website or sometimes they're listed on E-bay for even cheaper. You can always check the classifieds section of this site as well.

I wouldn't worry about bump stop extensions or any other parts other than the spacers if you plan on installing a suspension lift in the future.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be looking to borrow some tires for the inspection, know anybody with a cherokee, grand cherokee up to '98, YJ, or TJ? Maybe you can find someone here on the board.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
03silversport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I mounted a set of 285/75's (33/11.50) on my stock TJ before driving it to the shop to have my lift installed. It was very tight! i had to drive 40 miles to the shop and had no problems, although i took it very easy.
03silversport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you lived closer, I would lend you my stock take-offs for the inspection, they only have 9000 miles on them. Perhaps you can borrow a set of tires from a friend. Oh, 33's definitely would not fit my Jeep when stock....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
mexican_hippie
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can get some hockey pucks for $0.99 each at a sporting goods store and RTV them down as bumpstops in the front. That should help to keep you from rubbing too. Probably need two for each side. Then just pop them off later when you do your lift.
mexican_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #13
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hah, a body lift will work but that's alot more work then a set of 2" spacers on the springs and most body lifts are like $125.00 you can pickup the 2" budget boost for under $60.00
There are plenty of cheaper body lifts than 125 and as the BB goes if it's 60 it's not a complete BB, also last time I checked there are only a few bolts for a body lift and you don't need to worry about getting a re-alignment.
Unread 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
i had 33s on my jeep w/only 2" lift and rubbed everywhere, speed bumps, parking lots, driveways, i dont see how ppl get away with 33s and 2" lift while wheeling

Alot of it has to do with the current condition of your springs,the actual size of tires and rims. Not to mention the type of wheeling you do, generally I would not recommend 33's and a budget boost.
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #15
canjeeps
TJ Wrangler 

a friend of mine had some 33x9.5 pizza cutters on stock suspension and factory wheels. Long story short the jeep is no longer drivable, its needs some work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.