Tire Carrier ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire Carrier ??

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 03-18-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
04TJFan

Tire Carrier ??

I just had some new 31x12.5 Pro Comp ATs put on the Jeep and I'm wondering if the stock tire carrier can carry the weight of the new tire and steel wheel without damaging the rear door?? The tire weighs about 45 pounds and the Crager 397 is about 22-25 lbs. Do you thing it will be alright? Thanx for the help

Scott

[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
GzrGlide
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you do a search you'll find that the general consensus is that the 31 will be fine.

Most people say that once you get up to 33's that the stock carrier needs to be replaced.
RE 4.5SF with 3.5 springs & Tera QDFTs
Super 35 & Detroit in back w/4.88s
33x10.5 BFG KM2's
Cobra 75WXST w/4' Wilson Antenna
Warn M8000
(1) Rubber Ducky
GzrGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
digitalcox
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, I just mounted a 32x11.50 tire on a 15x8 crager wheel on my stock tire carrier the other day.

I raised the thrid brake like an inch and also extended my rubber isolater that are attached to the tailgate so that it touches the spare to prevent it from moving back and forth much.

I read about some people being perfectly fine running bigger tires (up to 33") on a stock carrier but yet I also hear horror stories of others having them crack or bending.

Have a good one,
Justin
digitalcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
b3x
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I put my 33" on the stock carrier, i have yet to move the light ... it is still partially visible over the tire.

While, I do intend on getting a bumper mounted tire swing in the future, i have yet to notice any ill effects of the larger tire on the stock mount. I can imagine that keeping the tailgate open for extended periods of time would lead to problems, but for now the stock mounts apear to hold the additional weight just fine.
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
FlyersFan2009

If you don't wheel your Jeep you may not notice any effects soon, but the weight will put too much stress on your hinge (this is for 32" and bigger)

With a 31, you'll be fine.
FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
04TJFan

Thanx for the advice. I love this forum

Scott
[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
BluesMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The only issue I had with my 31's was the new BS of my wheel was 3.75
If you do not use some kind of spacer that will allow the rubber tire stops to make contact with the tire, you may (very probable) have damage to the tailgate system.
I used Rubber mallet heads cut in half and longer bolts myself.
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
bandit5150

Try the stock mount for a while. You will be able to see the tire bouncing around if it's going to be too heavy. I ran around for a month or so with a 33x12.5 on a pro-comp alloy on the factory mount. It was quickly apparent that the tire was too heavy. The worst was the rythmic bouncing on the freeway - from the expansion joints in the pavement. The tire bounced around like Ali. A bumper / tire carrier was in order, the tailgate wouldn't have lasted long.
bandit5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Most important thing is to make sure the tire contacts all the little rubber bumpers on the tailgate area to stop it shaking.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
2to1 Jeep wins
2011 MK Compass 

Hi,

Another new guy here, with a question very similar to this post.

I got a spare tire mounted rack (Thule 987xt with 943) for my 05 Rubi and was wondering how much weight the tire carrier can handle in addition to the spare. I am looking at this rack plus a pair of skis and 2 snowboards. Does anybody else use this setup?

I was going to go with the Mopar unit, but it could only carry skis.
My friends are wimpy snowboard riders , so I needed to carry both.

Thanks!

Sean
2to1 Jeep wins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
Eggs4Lunch

Tire carrier weight

04TJFan:

You should be fine. The stock Rubi 245/75 R 16 is a very heavy tire. It weighs 76 pounds mounted on the Moab rims. I would be a little cautious about adding anything else because the owner’s manual for 2004 says maximum weight for the tire carrier INCLUDING the tire and rim is 50 pounds. If you have a problem, DC will undoubtedly pull the manual out and try to rub your nose in the 50 pound comment.

Eggs
Eggs4Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My tailgate hinges started failing even with the stock 30" gsa on it. I wouldn't trust even a 31 on the factory mount. Granted mine is a '98 and they have done something with the hinges since then, hopefully made them stronger.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
maxedout

I run a 33" tire on the stalk carrier without a problem, on the other hand I am waiting for my custom bumper and tire carrier to be completed.
maxedout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:20 PM   #14
Sammy Jenkins

warn swing away tire carrier was the solution to my problem. <------------- in case if u ever have one.
Sammy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #15
Flyingbrass

33"

And I'm right in the middle of my Jeeperman tire carrier/rear bumper install as we speak. I had to take a break.
2004 Flame Red Unlimited, 4"Superlift suspension lift, 33" BFG MT's, Pro Comp Extreme Alloys 1079's, 4.56 gears, Eaton Electric Locker, Superlift rock rings, Superlift steering stabalizer, hardtop, full set of Husky Liners, matching spare, Jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper 54" with light bar, and Warn 6" flares,
Flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.