Tips for buying used Jeep, what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips for buying used Jeep, what to look for?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
MtnBikingAddict

Tips for buying used Jeep, what to look for?

I'm in the market to buy a 2001-2002 Wrangler Sahara, 5-speed most likely, I've never bought a used Jeep and thought I should probably ask if there is anything I should look for before buying, like to know if has been extremely offroaded or something.

[B]PAST JEEP(s)[/B]: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Selec-Trac 4x4, 4AT, I6 4.0L, 3.73 (80,000 Miles)[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
MtnBikingAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Both of those years are ideal because you get the sailcloth soft top as well as a host of other minor improvements. '02s lose the driver's side tumbling fron seat, so rear seat passengers will have to get in on the r/h side. HVAC was supposedly improved in '02, but I'm not sure exactly what they did to it. '02 also got the 30" wheel and tire group standard (it was optional on '01) so if it has a manual it will have a dana 44 by default - any '02 ordered with a manual and 30" tires were required to get the dana 44. I would also get dual top if you can find it since it will save you money in the long run.

As far as mechanical things - the transmission will have a neutral gear rattle. I looked at a bunch of 2000-2002 Jeeps before I bought mine, and some were definately too loud and those that were generally had a balkier shift action. Mine is relatively quiet and shifts very smoothly. Although you may get lucky, most will have a minor rear main seal leak. Unless you are a neat freak who panicks at the slightest spot on the driveway, I wouldn't bother with it. Try to peek in the valve cover for sludge - they did have years that had head cracking problems that can help create sludge in an otherwise well maintained engine. Radiators are another known issue - check where the bottom and top tanks are crimped to the core for leaks. Check that all the blower speeds work - blower motor resistors can and do fail. Paint checking (small cracks or "fissures") is common on the darker colors - mine is doing it. Rust is also a constant specter with a rudimentary vehicle like this - there are many seams that come together (especially at the back below the tailight) that are exposed and rely on paint only to protect them.

Thant's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure others will chime in with some other things to look out for.
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
MtnBikingAddict

I've seen a lot of Jeeps with rusty door hinges, front and back, I'm guessing thats one of the weak points, would it be good to replace all the hinges with stainless stell ones?
[B]PAST JEEP(s)[/B]: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Selec-Trac 4x4, 4AT, I6 4.0L, 3.73 (80,000 Miles)[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
Unread 12-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
MtnBikingAddict

Does the 2002 Sahara come with 4 wheel discs?
Unread 12-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
Does the 2002 Sahara come with 4 wheel discs?
not from the factory
Unread 12-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77
...'02 also got the 30" wheel and tire group standard (it was optional on '01) so if it has a manual it will have a dana 44 by default - any '02 ordered with a manual and 30" tires were required to get the dana 44...
You sure about this?

I don't think there were any packages in '02 that included a D44 rear.

I always thought it was a completely seperate option, at least in the pre-2003 TJs.
Unread 12-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
MtnBikingAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootRubi
not from the factory
Does it really matter that it doesn't have 4 wheel discs? Is it a cheap mod to install rear ones?
Unread 12-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
letsroll
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Try to avoid buying one that has been wheeled much. I know they are a great off road vehicle but the more one has been wheeled the more likley it is to have or develop problems. I own one and I know mine is not as sound as one with the same miles that has never been wheeled. One way to aviod getting into one that has been wheeled a lot is do not buy one with a lot of modifications. Stockers and pretty lightly used.
letsroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
You sure about this?

I don't think there were any packages in '02 that included a D44 rear.

I always thought it was a completely seperate option, at least in the pre-2003 TJs.
It wasn't really a package, just a mandatory "option" that was automatically added to any TJ with a 5-speed and 30" tires.

Chris
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.