TIMKEN Hub Assembly Warranty Info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TIMKEN Hub Assembly Warranty Info

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TIMKEN Hub Assembly Warranty Info

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where I should put this.

2002 TJ 4.0L

I purchased a pair of Timken Hub Assemblies for my Jeep last Spring and put them on my Jeep, they have a 12 month warranty which expires in 6 days. Conveniently enough, I jacked the Jeep up today to check on everything and noticed that when I grabbed the tire from side to side there was a lot of play in the bearings.

I ordered my Timken Hub Assemblies from Rockauto and I've never dealt with a warranty before especially one online. Does anyone here have experience with this and know what I have to do to get a new set sent to me?

I am hoping that I don't have to box up the ones on the Jeep and send those in before I get new replacements cause the Jeep is my DD so I cant go without it for more than a day.

Thanks

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
26679cj5
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Then you're out of luck, probably. If you had bought them local,you could just take them in and swap them out. They will want the old ones back to inspect them.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

call rock auto. tell them your situation.
most likely, u will be buying 2 new ones, then sending your old ones back in the boxes from the new ones.
they will look at them, and decide if they are eligible for warranty.
should be pretty simple process really, assuming you got your receipt.

im suprised timkens failed in less than a year.
u might wanna look into why?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're certain it's not the ball joints?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Are we certain it's not the ball joints and did we get the stub shaft nut torqued correctly to maintain the preload on the bearings?
Unread 04-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #6
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I checked the ball joints as well by sticking a pry bar under the tires and lifting up and saw no movement. Last summer I pretty much replaced everything in the front end, ball joints, tie rods, track bar, gear box, coil springs, hub assemblies, so I'm really shocked to find an issue.

And yes everything was torqued to spec. I didn't have the proper torque wrench for some of the applications so I rented one just so it was all done correctly. I do live in MI and some of the roads I drive on a day to day basis are terrible, I suppose bad wheel bearings shouldn't surprise me..

Unread 04-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #7
bobjp

I have warrantied through RockAuto. Call them.

They ship you the replacement parts with a return shipping label. You put the defective parts in the box, and ship them back.

Are you getting any on road symptoms? A bearing so bad you can feel the play as you describe would give you symptoms while driving.

You mention that the wheels move side to side, but what about top to bottom (12:00 and 9:00)? If the bearings are bad there will be play no matter which way you do it. Did you have someone helping you? I'd rather be lying underneath while someone else moves the wheels. I have initially misdiagnosed steering and suspension issues because it isn't easy to load/unload a joint while looking for small movement. You should also take the wheels off and confirm that it is actually the hub moving relative to the knuckle, and not just slop in the steering or another bad component.

You know, even with the steering wheel locked you can turn the front wheels some.

If it is the bearings, they should not fail that soon. I don't care how bad the roads are. I live in MI too. Hell, I still have a factory driver's bearing at 274000 miles.
Unread 04-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #8
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I have warrantied through RockAuto. Call them.

They ship you the replacement parts with a return shipping label. You put the defective parts in the box, and ship them back.

Are you getting any on road symptoms? A bearing so bad you can feel the play as you describe would give you symptoms while driving.

You mention that the wheels move side to side, but what about top to bottom (12:00 and 9:00)? If the bearings are bad there will be play no matter which way you do it. Did you have someone helping you? I'd rather be lying underneath while someone else moves the wheels. I have initially misdiagnosed steering and suspension issues because it isn't easy to load/unload a joint while looking for small movement. You should also take the wheels off and confirm that it is actually the hub moving relative to the knuckle, and not just slop in the steering or another bad component.

You know, even with the steering wheel locked you can turn the front wheels some.

If it is the bearings, they should not fail that soon. I don't care how bad the roads are. I live in MI too. Hell, I still have a factory driver's bearing at 274000 miles.
I just got off the phone with RockAuto and the guy told me that I have to order new ones and the boxes that the new ones come in I put my old ones in and ship those back. After they're inspected I will get a refund for my payment.

I too find it a little odd that they should be replaced so early, especially since I don't get to wheel the Jeep much. I noticed that the drivers side had movement from side to side, I didn't check top to bottom. When driving on the roads I get a slight steering shimmy in the steering wheel at around 50 mph. Also, yesterday when I was checking everything out I noticed that with the front end off the ground and a buddy turning the steering wheel side to side, my drivers side axle shaft U-Joint was popping in and out of place. I am also getting a clunking noise when the wheels are on the ground turned from side to side that I haven't been able to pinpoint. (Assuming the U-Joint/Hub...hopefully..??)

I find it hard to believe that I am having all these front end noises/issues since I just replaced about everything in the front end over the past 2 years. And I made sure it was done 100% correctly.

Anyways, Im going to jack it up today and give everything one more look around just to make sure that U-Joint needs replacing with the Hub.

Its funny how over the winter I never heard any noises cause my windows were always up with the hardtop on. But as soon as the weather got nice and I took the top and doors off, I heard noises I didn't know were present.

Unread 04-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
I just got off the phone with RockAuto and the guy told me that I have to order new ones and the boxes that the new ones come in I put my old ones in and ship those back. After they're inspected I will get a refund for my payment.

I too find it a little odd that they should be replaced so early, especially since I don't get to wheel the Jeep much. I noticed that the drivers side had movement from side to side, I didn't check top to bottom. When driving on the roads I get a slight steering shimmy in the steering wheel at around 50 mph. Also, yesterday when I was checking everything out I noticed that with the front end off the ground and a buddy turning the steering wheel side to side, my drivers side axle shaft U-Joint was popping in and out of place. I am also getting a clunking noise when the wheels are on the ground turned from side to side that I haven't been able to pinpoint. (Assuming the U-Joint/Hub...hopefully..??)

I find it hard to believe that I am having all these front end noises/issues since I just replaced about everything in the front end over the past 2 years. And I made sure it was done 100% correctly.

Anyways, Im going to jack it up today and give everything one more look around just to make sure that U-Joint needs replacing with the Hub.

Its funny how over the winter I never heard any noises cause my windows were always up with the hardtop on. But as soon as the weather got nice and I took the top and doors off, I heard noises I didn't know were present.
Do the dry steering test with the wheels on the ground and the weight of the jeep on it. The leverage created by the weight can cause slop places that you would miss testing it with the front end in the air.
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #10
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Do the dry steering test with the wheels on the ground and the weight of the jeep on it. The leverage created by the weight can cause slop places that you would miss testing it with the front end in the air.
Okay I will try that out I will get back with you all on the results.

Unread 04-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay I will try that out I will get back with you all on the results.
hey, did u work at haistings auto on 9 and I75?
grey jeep?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I checked the ball joints as well by sticking a pry bar under the tires and lifting up and saw no movement. Last summer I pretty much replaced everything in the front end, ball joints, tie rods, track bar, gear box, coil springs, hub assemblies, so I'm really shocked to find an issue.

And yes everything was torqued to spec. I didn't have the proper torque wrench for some of the applications so I rented one just so it was all done correctly. I do live in MI and some of the roads I drive on a day to day basis are terrible, I suppose bad wheel bearings shouldn't surprise me..
Do you remember what you torqued the axle nut to? The only reason I can see the hub bearing assembly failing that quickly (let alone both sides at the same time) would be from improper torque or a freak manufacturing defect causing an entire batch to be bad.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #13
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisHeim View Post
Do you remember what you torqued the axle nut to? The only reason I can see the hub bearing assembly failing that quickly (let alone both sides at the same time) would be from improper torque or a freak manufacturing defect causing an entire batch to be bad.
175 ft/lbs

Unread 04-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #14
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
hey, did u work at haistings auto on 9 and I75?
grey jeep?
Yeah I used to Joe and I remember you.
I remember you telling me you had just bought an LJ at the time and had a CJ as well.
Small world.

Unread 04-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #15
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

So with further inspection with a second pair of eyes me and a fellow co worker (mechanic) spotted that where the drag link bolts to the tie rod was loose. I pulled the castle nut off to find that it was severely stripped and loosening its way out. I replaced the nuts with no issue. Apparently the wheels had some side to side play off the ground because where the drag link connects to the tie rod wasn't tight enough causing slop that I didn't see.

However I am still getting a steering shimmy at around 45-55 mph. Can a bad axle shaft u-joint cause this? When I was inspecting the wheeling bears prior I saw the drivers side ujoint popping in and out of place. Shifting from side to side as I rotated the tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.