Timing chain fixed, now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing chain fixed, now what?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 03-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
m3buzz

Timing chain fixed, now what?

Well, my son and I spent a good portion of the weekend pulling the timing cover off and the valve cover and replacing the sheered pin in the cam sprocket. I did all the research here and in the Wrangler forum and got all the steps taken care of. The timing and rotor, timing marks etc were all confirmed, and we buttoned it back up and - it started right up, after not running since it was rolled off the flatbed back in the fall. We were ecstatic, so we did a lap of the neighborhood with the doors off (in brisk 45 degrees). When we stopped to talk to a neighbor who had been asking baout our progress during the weekend, the 97 TJ 2.5L stalled out. It had been feeling very 'normal' and idled just great - sounded very strong and we thought we nailed it. Unfortunately, after letting it roll down the hill to our driveway, we wracked our brains to figure out what would cause it to be fine one minute and then stall and not start the next. It may be something to do with it warming up, but here is everything we tried after it ran the first time.

We sprayed starting fluid into the open throttle body, nothing. Pulled the #1 spark plug and saw it spark. Verified TDC mark with position of rotor in distributor (and verified rotor was turning, at least eliminating another sheared sprocket pin). It is getting fuel (can smell it) and spark, and of course air through throttle body. But after cranking and cranking, it still won't start.

Very frustrating to have the 'victory' lap end that way, and of course it put a damper on a great weekend showing my son the ins and outs of motors and repair. Does anyone have any ideas why it would start right up and then just kind of die? I tried again when it was cold again, still no start.

m3buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You probably have to reset all your sensors and do a cam crank relearn.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
m3buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
You probably have to reset all your sensors and do a cam crank relearn.
By reset - you mean disconnect the battery for a while? Or more like 'buy new ones!?" We had the neg cable off the last two days. I can take it off again, if that'll give them another chance to reset. But would that cause it to just stall out and then refuse to start? Seemed so good for the first 5 minutes...
thanks
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
m3buzz

We'll see if that does anything - wouldn't start so disconnected the battery and will let it sit a day or two. Any other ideas would be appreciated!
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
m3buzz

So it cranks and cranks and then the smell of gas is strong, so assume no spark...the rotor is turning in the distributor, so it's not a repeat of the sheared cam sprocket pin, so what's next - what fails so immediately while the car is running that kills spark? and that is not even for sure, since we pulled the #1 plug and grounded it and it was sparking, although it seemed to not be a real strong spark. Anyone?
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
m3buzz

I checked codes, and the only codes are 12 (battery disconnect to PCM, which was intentional), and 55 - endo fo fault codes display. So - fuel is pumping, the thing ran great for a bout 5 minutes, then just stalled and hasn;t started up since. Cranks fine, the rotor spins, the timing still seems to be right (TDC and rotor pointing to #1 wire still). Timing mark lines up at right time, sparks (although friend said it was a 'weak' spark). I can;t think of any reason it won't start. CPS, coil, dist cap and rotor, plugs and wires all recently replaced. Anyone?
thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.