Timing Chain or Belt Wrangler 4 cyl.? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing Chain or Belt Wrangler 4 cyl.?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
blazer8

Timing Chain or Belt Wrangler 4 cyl.?

I have a 97 Wrangler with a four cylinder. Does anyone know if it has a timing chain or a belt? I believe it is a 2.5L. Is that right? This is my first Jeep and I am clueless.

blazer8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It uses a steel timing chain so no worries about needing to change it on a regular basis like if it had a rubber timing belt.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
blazer8

That is great news! One less thing I have to worry about right now. Thanks Jerry.
blazer8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Combatsylvania

Looks easy as pie to change, whats the maintenence schedule say? like 100km's or something?

Looks like you just gotta pop off that open idler pully and remove the cap and your there. One thing I like about the 4cyl is the amount of room under the under the hood.. Im thinking of putting a 5th seat in there, lol
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatsylvania
Looks easy as pie to change, whats the maintenence schedule say? like 100km's or something?

Looks like you just gotta pop off that open idler pully and remove the cap and your there. One thing I like about the 4cyl is the amount of room under the under the hood.. Im thinking of putting a 5th seat in there, lol
You're confusing the serpentine belt which does nothing but drive the waterpump, fan, alternator, and a/c compressor. He was asking about the timing chain whose job is to turn the camshaft. You can't see the timing chain, it's under a cover.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Combatsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
You're confusing the serpentine belt which does nothing but drive the waterpump, fan, alternator, and a/c compressor. He was asking about the timing chain whose job is to turn the camshaft. You can't see the timing chain, it's under a cover.

No im not, I said to get at the timing chain you pull that idler pulley (for the serpentine) and remove the cap (or cover) and your at the timing chain.. The cover is held on with 3 screws.. really easy to access..

im not completely inept,
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
jeeptj19992001

Quote:
No im not, I said to get at the timing chain you pull that idler pulley (for the serpentine) and remove the cap (or cover) and your at the timing chain.. The cover is held on with 3 screws.. really easy to access..

im not completely inept,
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
James04TJ

For the search value of this thread. The 2003+ 2.4L uses a timing belt not chain as with other TJ motors.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
Combatsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by James04TJ
For the search value of this thread. The 2003+ 2.4L uses a timing belt not chain as with other TJ motors.
Are you sure? I dont have a FSM for the 06, but I do have one for the 2003 and I was almost positive I read that it was a chain. It even showed a picutre with a marked link.

Ive been wrong before tho (many times). So if it is indeed a belt, how often is it supposed to be changed?
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
SpitNine

2.4l Timing Belt

Quote:
Are you sure? I dont have a FSM for the 06, but I do have one for the 2003 and I was almost positive I read that it was a chain. It even showed a picutre with a marked link.
Ive been wrong before tho (many times). So if it is indeed a belt, how often is it supposed to be changed?
The 2003 thru 2006 2.4L motor has a rubber timing belt.
I'm not exactly sure of the replacement schedule but it's around 100,000 miles.
Judging from how accessable the front of the 2.4L motor is, changing the timing belt should be pretty simple.
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
Combatsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitNine
The 2003 thru 2006 2.4L motor has a rubber timing belt.
I'm not exactly sure of the replacement schedule but it's around 100,000 miles.
Judging from how accessable the front of the 2.4L motor is, changing the timing belt should be pretty simple.
Thanks.
He speaks the truth, just looked it up with the AC Delco parts search. Sais its a belt. (AC Delco part# TB265)
Unread 03-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
spiicytuna
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So to be 100% clear.....and I am only asking because I am about to inherit a 1995 2.4L Wrangler with 114 on the OD.... pre-2003 the 2.4L had timing chains? How long are timing chains good for?
spiicytuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
bobbert350

Quote:

im not completely inept,

wow thats pretty sweet if its that setup...i have the 4.2 it was a pita since i had to remove my rad and all that stuff....and it was held in by like 15 bolts and 4 that were on the oil pan
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiicytuna
So to be 100% clear.....and I am only asking because I am about to inherit a 1995 2.4L Wrangler with 114 on the OD.... pre-2003 the 2.4L had timing chains? How long are timing chains good for?
Let's not get confused here, the 2.4L engine currently shipping in new TJs is nothing like the 2.5L engine in that 1995 Wrangler. Make sure you realize what you have is a 2.5L engine which does use a timing chain.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
spiicytuna
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Let's not get confused here, the 2.4L engine currently shipping in new TJs is nothing like the 2.5L engine in that 1995 Wrangler. Make sure you realize what you have is a 2.5L engine which does use a timing chain.
Sorry for the confusion (ignorance) on my part. Got it. 2.5L . . . . how long are timing chains normally good for? It had a "major tune-up" about 5k miles ago where the serpentine belt among other things was changed.
spiicytuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.