Time for new Steering Linkage... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time for new Steering Linkage...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Don't get the Rugged Ridge set up, I run it myself, and I like it, and it works great for me, but if you buy it and run it yourself, you'll have to listen to everyone else on here call you and idiot and chastise you for running it...
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

Unread 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^ Oh snap

I agree the currie is a great setup and worth the money.

Just so not everyone is saying the exact same thing in this thread, I would evaluate your NEED for the currie steering. If you're on 33s or smaller and dont play in big rocks alot, a ZJ tie rod swap and new TREs would be a good way to go as well. Beefier than stock, cheaper, and available locally.

Or just get the Currie from Savvy and be done with it. The upgraded Savvy tierod is *****in too.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy & Currie, all you need to know.

Sent from DROID2
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Crown steering linkage kit is another option that still uses the inverted y style of steering, is a bit beefier than stock, but not as expensive as the Currie steering. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Steering-...n=CROHDSTRGCR2
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Crown steering linkage kit is another option that still uses the inverted y style of steering, is a bit beefier than stock, but not as expensive as the Currie steering. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Steering-...n=CROHDSTRGCR2
You're more than halfway to Currie at that point. Plus, the drag link is stock = no upgrade. Either buy a ZJ tie rod alone or go Currie.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
^ Oh snap

I agree the currie is a great setup and worth the money.

Just so not everyone is saying the exact same thing in this thread, I would evaluate your NEED for the currie steering. If you're on 33s or smaller and dont play in big rocks alot, a ZJ tie rod swap and new TREs would be a good way to go as well. Beefier than stock, cheaper, and available locally.

Or just get the Currie from Savvy and be done with it. The upgraded Savvy tierod is *****in too.
The Currie with the Savvy Tie Rod is a solution to a problem, the problem being you play in the rocks and tend to work your stuff a bit harder and you still demand precise steering the rest of the time.

The above reply is spot on, solve the problem. No problem, don't solve it with some high performance stuff you may never test.

I ran the ZJ tie rod for a long time on 35's and I was well aware also that the stock draglink can and will suffer for it. Carry a spare because the tie rod is very easy to rig up to get back to camp, the draglink, not so much.
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You're more than halfway to Currie at that point. Plus, the drag link is stock = no upgrade. Either buy a ZJ tie rod alone or go Currie.
I agree if he has the money, but if he was caught off guard and really needs to replace everything now, the crown set up is a well priced alternative. That's just my opinion though. I don't like inverted y style steering set ups myself, but I've never ran the Currie set up either, so I can't speak one way or the other about it. Maybe if I ever get to drive A TJ with the currie set up I will see the light, but I don't know anyone that I wheel with that runs it. I do know that the Rugged Ridge set up won't work with factory Rubicon wheels, and lot's of folks don't like it. He did post the Currie set up in the options he's considering though, so If he has the money to afford it at this time then it's his best option. What would happen if he replaces his steering linkages and still has DW problems? I think that is what he is really trying to fix, and I don't doubt his TRE's are worn out at all from DW... but what if he still has DW after he replaces his steering, and the DW destroys his brand new $400 TRE's? I'm not saying that that will happen, and since I've never ran them I don't know if DW would even kill a Currie TRE... I just wonder what other parts under the front of his rig are worn out, and maybe a dry steering test and a few other things should be checked out before he spends all his money...
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #23
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I agree if he has the money, but if he was caught off guard and really needs to replace everything now, the crown set up is a well priced alternative. That's just my opinion though. I don't like inverted y style steering set ups myself, but I've never ran the Currie set up either, so I can't speak one way or the other about it. Maybe if I ever get to drive A TJ with the currie set up I will see the light, but I don't know anyone that I wheel with that runs it. I do know that the Rugged Ridge set up won't work with factory Rubicon wheels, and lot's of folks don't like it. He did post the Currie set up in the options he's considering though, so If he has the money to afford it at this time then it's his best option. What would happen if he replaces his steering linkages and still has DW problems? I think that is what he is really trying to fix, and I don't doubt his TRE's are worn out at all from DW... but what if he still has DW after he replaces his steering, and the DW destroys his brand new $400 TRE's? I'm not saying that that will happen, and since I've never ran them I don't know if DW would even kill a Currie TRE... I just wonder what other parts under the front of his rig are worn out, and maybe a dry steering test and a few other things should be checked out before he spends all his money...
The crown steering is just a ZJ tie rod and stock drag link. I just got a new ZJ tie rod raybestos brand for $60 shipped from rock auto.
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #24
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211 View Post
The crown steering is just a ZJ tie rod and stock drag link. I just got a new ZJ tie rod raybestos brand for $60 shipped from rock auto.
Sounds like a good deal to me What else would you need to fully replace the whole set up? If it's cheaper than the Crown set up then the OP could save a bunch of money without switching to Gieco...

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

How quaint,

Is cryoming in your pocket?
You have something to say to me Double-0-Blaine? Is there something you want or are you too busy "developing jeep parts your not allowed to say you developed"

Lmao, I still can't take you seriously! !
I thought maybe if I left you alone and stopped asking questions you aren't capable of answering you would grow up a little and quit trying to bait me, I see thats not going to be possible now. Ok 'Double-0-Blaine, license to krill, super-duper-double-secret-jeep-developer, I guess I wont leave you alone after all
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #26
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You would need a new drag link and adjusting sleeve

Here's what the stuff costs

Right inner tie rod $11.70
Left outer tie rod $11.70
Tie rod, Left inner $28.70
Drag link, Right outer $49.79
Adjusting sleeves, $6.65 each

So like $115 plus shipping for everything.
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
You have something to say to me Double-0-Blaine? Is there something you want or are you too busy "developing jeep parts your not allowed to say you developed"

I thought maybe if I left you alone and stopped asking questions you aren't capable of answering you would grow up a little and quit trying to bait me, I see thats not going to be possible now. Ok 'Double-0-Blaine, license to krill, super-duper-double-secret-jeep-developer, I guess I wont leave you alone after all
Be carefull, if you try to pick his brain to much, he will deflect your questions and avoid answering, and if you press him much more than that, or call him out to often, he will add you to his "Ignore" list... god forbid that should ever happen... I feel like the world just crashed in upon my shoulders now, how will I ever live through this madness???? I always thought I was posting on "Jeepforum" but it kinda seems like this is just "Blaineforum" for the most part... at least on some of the threads. There is some other good advice on this forum though. I'm just glad that the other Vendor/Parts makers don't jump up and down in so many threads as Blaine does, and that helpfull advice here isn't always limited to what the Savvy Nation considers the best stuff since sliced bread... We don't all wheel where they do, so we have different ideas about stuff. It would actually be nice to post on here without getting bashed by Blaine, or the rest of his followers... So I'm glad he put me on his "ignore list" because hopefully I will be able to post my thoughts about different upgrades in the future withough having him come in and derail my threads anymore...

But I doubt he keeps me on ignore for very long, He will see other people reply to me, or get currious about what I'm saying, then He will un-ignore me(is that an actual word?) and everything will go back to how it was before, lol

I actually think he was just having a bad/stressfull day today for some reason, because he's normally much thicker skinned... but maybe I'm wrong, and he won't... Who knows?

To the OP:

What else have you checked out yourself? What condition are your control arm bushings? Have you tested your ball joints, unit bearings, and trackbar bushings? If so how did you test them, and what were your results?

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for the Savvy/Currie Ultimate setup, I just did mine 2 weeks ago. This thing takes a hell of a beating
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post

You don't have a choice but to leave me alone unless you can get someone besides tat to quote you because you get to join him in his special place.
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #30
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

You don't have a choice but to leave me alone unless you can get someone besides tat to quote you because you get to join him in his special place.
Im going to go ahead and guess that that made more sense when you thought it than when you typed it. :shrug:
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.