Is it time for new axles? (bigger shafts) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it time for new axles? (bigger shafts)

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
hacksunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is it time for new axles? (bigger shafts)

I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited with a 4" short arm lift, D44 in the rear (limited slip) and an open D30 in the front. I currently have the stock 3.73ís and Iím running 33ís. I need to get ARB lockers within the next month. I recognize an R&P change will be necessary, 4.10s as I still drive to the trails. If I am changing gears I might as well change the axles to a higher spline count. As I add up everything I am wondering how much more would it be to get new heavier duty axles that are already setup for my jeep and avoid the labor cost of the locker and R&P install. I wonít need Dana 60ís, as I really don't see going any larger than a 36ís on this jeep as it wouldn't fit in my garage. I would like to retain my wheels and could swap the brakes if necessary. Question is, do I build my stock axles or start fresh with some custom built axles. Budget is tight but I will spend what I need to get it done right.

I would be curious as to what you all thought about my situation and what would be the most cost effective solution. The details are below. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but inexperienced so I will need the complicated parts to be done professionally. I'm confident I could swap out complete axles but for the right price I would have it done professionally also.

My plans for this vehicle include mainly trails and some basic rock crawling. I would like to be able to have fun at Moab and the Rubicon yet still drive there from Missouri. Just so you know about where my budget is I am also considering the package below and I am figuring 500 per axle for installation to bring the total to around 4599.95 including shipping.

Ultimate Superior Axle and gear Package TJ XJ Dana 30 / 44 4.56
Includes:
Super 30 kit with ARB Locker
Super 44 Kit with ARB Locker
4.56' Gears front and Rear
Master Install Kits
ARB Compressor
Everything you need to install!!
FREE SHIPPING Special Price: $3,599.95

hacksunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You wont need to get new axles. Once you upgrade then you will be all set for the 36's that you want.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Which transmission do you have? That will also dictate gear ratio.

Those axles will be pretty well built for 33s.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
hacksunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the manual trans. (6 speed) I agree they would be built well but I would have $4600 in them and still have a Dana 30 in the front. It just seems like a lot of cash to put into stock axles. I also question the housing on the TJ Dana 44.
I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what some of you have done. The stock axles are fine but when you want to add the lockers it starts the snowball with the gears. You've got big money in the lockers and if you ever want to upgrade the axle shafts. Then you question the integrity of the housing.
I'm just trying to avoid doing what i did when I lifted it. Budget boost to 4" short arm to long arm. I just want to do it right but not over the top.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The reality that I, myself, am slowly adapting to is this: most people have no need of anything over a 35" tire on a Jeep. Most people have no need of a 1-ton axle, much less the professionally built, competition-level D60's that I see slung under everything in the magazines. I've belatedly realized that approximately .1% of the Jeeps out there need to run 36's or 37's and D60's front and rear...so at least keep that in mind when you're deciding on what to do. If you just want them, then more power to you. Personally, I'd start more along the lines of what you have laid out, but reduce my tire size down to 35"...that won't strain the front as much, and you'll have plenty of extra cash on hand.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

grab a junkyard HP30 before you put all that nice stuff in there, it will only cost you a couple hundred more to do so.
Rigger007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
ncbluetj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
grab a junkyard HP30 before you put all that nice stuff in there, it will only cost you a couple hundred more to do so.
Ditto.

I'm about to gear and lock my TJ and I will definitely swapping in a high-pinion front while I'm at it (already bought the HP gears). It's just too cheap and easy not to.
ncbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
hacksunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have had so much trouble finding junkyard parts here in Missouri. It there a trick to it? What do you all do in NC and OR?
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
ncbluetj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . You can search junkyards in your area. This is an extremely useful tool. I have bought all kinds of replacement parts and upgrades found through this site.
ncbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
-ExDementia-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

In my area and from what I've heard from everyone else; Cherokee's are plentiful in junkyards. (great for me)

Also Sundowner is right, look up vids or pictures of what Jerry Bransford and Mr.Blaine wheel. JV is some of the craziest rock crawling in the world and they do it on 35's by choice, not budget.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" [B]- George Carlin[/B]

[B][SIZE="3"]Click [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php"]HERE[/URL] for the elusive search button everyone talks about.[/SIZE][/B]
-ExDementia- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on your transmission, you could consider different gears. Otherwise, that would be a solid set up for your uses. You may want to consider Superiour Tube seals as well.

You will want to consider 4 wheel disk breaks and a steering upgrade after the 33's are replaced.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running 35s on a locked HP30 and a super35 kit.

Pick up a HP30 from a junkyard, and throw an ARB in your d44. Carry spare front shafts (yoke ears are the weak point) and go out and wheel it for a fraction of the price.

Take the money you saved and get the Vanco Big Brake kit.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
hacksunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I will check out car-part .com in a few. I have an Unlimited so it came with 4 wheel disk. The e-brake is very trouble some though. Have though about upgrading the brakes to bigger ones. Thats a benefit i could get going the new axle route. What do you all think of the G2 Axles the catalog companies are selling?
I have been contemplating the gears. I plan to stay with the 33's for a while as they are barely used. Do you all think the 4.11's will be fine. I will upgrade to 4.56 when its time for the 35's/36's. Depending on the manufacturer they are about he same anyway. I prefer MTR's but currently have some ProComp Extreme Mudds. I still need to be able to drive on the highway.
Already did the steering upgrade. Well I replaced the linkages with HD 1 ton stuff from Rugged Ridge/OmixAda and Rusty's. Tube seals I will do. Good idea.

Will a locked dana 30 hold up with 35's/36's?
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I'm running 35s on a locked HP30 and a super35 kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksunlimited View Post

Will a locked dana 30 hold up with 35's/36's?
I don't know...will it?

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
hacksunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ouch. I missed that. . .sorry. I was sorta wondering how it would do without the SuperKit though.

Tags
arb locker , axle , d44 , dana 44 , replace , replacement , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.