Time to change out the steering stabilizer? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time to change out the steering stabilizer?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Reply
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler
 
tyvanwie's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 8,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril
The steering wheel is still way off center though. Hopefully I will hear from the shop by lunch time
This is what I was referring to...

__________________
MY BUILD THREAD
MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION
JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
drewabril
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East, Massachusetts
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
And how do you expect the shop to adjust rear camber if that is a problem?
They can't, but at least they (according to them) can determine what is bent or out of line.
could be one of my control arms is tweaked, but I can't tell
maybe the axle housing is bent, but I can't see it with the naked eye.

At this point I have taken lots of advice from lots of threads on here, and triple checked my work. I am running out of ideas but i want to remain methodical.
After all this frustration, I don't mind spending the $70 for some professional help/advice which may save me from replacing parts that were never broken in the first place.
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #33
drewabril
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East, Massachusetts
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
This is what I was referring to...
I gotcha. yes i could've centered it, but i knew i'd be taking it to another shop for a second opinion anyways so i may as well get as much as I can out of the money i am spending, right?
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #34
RowJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas/OK Border
Posts: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
if you want to let people waste their money, that's fine.
No point in your trying to figure out what I do or do not want!
But FYI, I'd settle for fewer redundant posts.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #35
drewabril
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East, Massachusetts
Posts: 75
Should I be worried about these lock washers hanging off the tie rod?

I tried to attach a pic from my phone lets see if it works
image-498459465.jpg

drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
rchase559
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 2,090
Those are typically found on either side if that locking collar. I just cut them off and didn't look back when I aligned the stock steering.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #37
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril View Post
Should I be worried about these lock washers hanging off the tie rod?
Those are retainers used during assembly by the OEM, IIRC. You can cut them off...
Knuckelhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #38
drewabril
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East, Massachusetts
Posts: 75
well thanks to everyone here for keeping me sane.

The back of my Jeep was just fine. The second shop mentioned they had to spend alot of time getting the drag link sleeve freed from the rust that was on it, they even replaced the hardware on the sleeve. I guess the first shop just had no idea what they were doing and threw me for a loop.
My jeep is driving much better, the shaking is almost completely gone and the steering wheel is pointing straight again. I am comfortable taking my hands off the wheel and letting it track down the road by itself. In the end i probably could have saved that $70, but live and learn I guess.

Now to cut off those tie rod retaining clips and I'll move on with my life!
Thanks again everyone.
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #39
eduardostewart
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril View Post
well thanks to everyone here for keeping me sane.

The back of my Jeep was just fine. The second shop mentioned they had to spend alot of time getting the drag link sleeve freed from the rust that was on it, they even replaced the hardware on the sleeve. I guess the first shop just had no idea what they were doing and threw me for a loop.
My jeep is driving much better, the shaking is almost completely gone and the steering wheel is pointing straight again. I am comfortable taking my hands off the wheel and letting it track down the road by itself. In the end i probably could have saved that $70, but live and learn I guess.

Now to cut off those tie rod retaining clips and I'll move on with my life!
Thanks again everyone.
are you saying all the problems were from a bad drag link?
eduardostewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #40
drewabril
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East, Massachusetts
Posts: 75
No, the drag link was not bad or broken, it was simply not adjusted properly. The issue was alignment all along. Here's why:

The alignment must have been bad for a while, but the stock rubber track bar bushing was absorbing the shakes/vibrations of it so I didn't notice. Eventually that track bar bushing gave up from the abuse and gave me DW. I replaced the stock bushing with a poly one, which doesn't absorb the vibration the way the stock rubber one did.
With the firmer poly bushing in place the vibrations from misaligned tires became noticeable.
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #41
eduardostewart
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril View Post
No, the drag link was not bad or broken, it was simply not adjusted properly. The issue was alignment all along. Here's why:

The alignment must have been bad for a while, but the stock rubber track bar bushing was absorbing the shakes/vibrations of it so I didn't notice. Eventually that track bar bushing gave up from the abuse and gave me DW. I replaced the stock bushing with a poly one, which doesn't absorb the vibration the way the stock rubber one did.
With the firmer poly bushing in place the vibrations from misaligned tires became noticeable.
gotcha, thanks. i try to absorb others peoples trials so i have a little intellect what to look for if/when i have troubles.
eduardostewart is online now   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.