Time to change out the steering stabilizer? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time to change out the steering stabilizer?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
dylan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril View Post
Thanks for the perspective.
How long has it been since you changed your stabilizer? Was yours leaking when you changed it?

I know mine is leaking, but I'm purposely waiting to do that until after I have every thing else working properly.

Thanks for the clarification.

This phenomenon would cause the opposite of my experience. So i will rule brakes out

my next step is remove the steering stab. and test drive.

Any tips on checking the unit bearings and or the u-joints in the front axle? i dont hear any noise or feel any play when I spin the front wheels.

For my SS, i purchased the jeep (2000 TJ) with 50,000 miles on it. I drove it around for few weeks then put a 4 in lift in it. Right after putting in the lift i had prety extreme DW at 35 mph. pulled off my SS and it was completly junk so i replaced it with a stock $40 autozone special, thats the only time i have replaced it and it worked great, but thats just my experience. For the cheap money its not a bad move... i thought

dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbanga View Post
....... No need for a stabilizer on a tj with decent tires imo.......
I totally agree that if you have a DW, steering shocks only mask true problem.
I also agree that a Steering Stabilizer is not required....especially off road!

But.... At the risk of being flamed, I would share a thread with you that opened my eyes to why the factory installs a SS in the first place. I got involved in this discussion because I have started using my TJ as a daily driver........
If interested, please read HERE
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got an update-
I brought it back to the alignment shop because the wheel was at 10 o'clock while going straight down the road.

I talked to the tech and he said he rechecked it and couldn't get the alignment right. He said he went over the front end thoroughly and everything is tight, but the camber on one of the rear tires is out of whack.

I left the jeep there and he is going to go through the rear end tomorrow and try to figure out what is bent or out of whack. I just find it strange that i can feel the vibes and shaking in the steering wheel, if there is a problem on one of the rear wheels..

Any thoughts or input? I dont know what to make of this now..
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
geardwrong
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on a 97 TJ. I replaced all the stuff you did plus both wheel hubs and still had DW. Took it in for a 3rd time to be aligned and they found that my rear track bar mount was broken. The repaired mount and installed both front and rear track bars. Jeep has never handled as it does now and never had DW again.
geardwrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can center your steering wheel and do an alignment yourself in about 5 minutes. Alignment, adjust the tierod sleeve. Centered wheel, adjust the draglink sleeve. Simple.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just find it strange that i can feel the vibes and shaking in the steering wheel, if there is a problem on one of the rear wheels..
I was driving down the road yesterday and the steering wheel started shaking a bit. After looking everything over today, I see that a rear wheel shed a balancing weight.
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad to see this isn't unique to my jeep. The shop I brought it to couldn't figure it out so they gave me a refund and I will take it to Sullivan tire on Monday. They deal with more trucks, so hopefully they are better able to diagnose my problem.

Based on posts here I looked at my rear sway bar, track bar and control arms, nothing looks warped or broken to me.
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Drove the Jeep to the 2nd alignment shop today, I didn't even feel the vibration on the way over. I hit 40mph several times the ride was smooth. What gives!?

The steering wheel is still way off center though. Hopefully I will hear from the shop by lunch time
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
Sixbanga
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got an update-
I brought it back to the alignment shop because the wheel was at 10 o'clock while going straight down the road.

I talked to the tech and he said he rechecked it and couldn't get the alignment right. He said he went over the front end thoroughly and everything is tight, but the camber on one of the rear tires is out of whack.

I left the jeep there and he is going to go through the rear end tomorrow and try to figure out what is bent or out of whack. I just find it strange that i can feel the vibes and shaking in the steering wheel, if there is a problem on one of the rear wheels..

Any thoughts or input? I dont know what to make of this now..
If the caster or camber is off in the rear you have a bent wheel or axle. Put a floor jack under the rear axle and have some one let the clutch out in first gear to spin the tires slowly. Look for a wobble. If you have a open carrier you may need to lift one side at a time so that tire will spin. Dont shift through the gears or spin the tires fast because you can damage the clutch or auto trans when the drivetrain is unloaded.
Sixbanga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril
Drove the Jeep to the 2nd alignment shop today, I didn't even feel the vibration on the way over. I hit 40mph several times the ride was smooth. What gives!?

The steering wheel is still way off center though. Hopefully I will hear from the shop by lunch time
I told you before that you can do it yourself it 2 minutes. It's stupid simple.

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbanga View Post
If the caster or camber is off in the rear you have a bent wheel or axle. Put a floor jack under the rear axle and have some one let the clutch out in first gear to spin the tires slowly. Look for a wobble. If you have a open carrier you may need to lift one side at a time so that tire will spin. Dont shift through the gears or spin the tires fast because you can damage the clutch or auto trans when the drivetrain is unloaded.
If the shop cant find the root cause today, i will try that when i get the jeep back. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I know that I can toe in the front on my own, but my concern is this rear camber issue.

I've inspected the rear suspension and nothing is loose or worn out or bent enough to be seen with the (admittedly inexperienced) naked eye, but something on the alignment rig is getting thrown off.
If I do have an issue in the back, the alignment shop with their experience and super accurate tools will have a better shot at determining what is throwing me off.
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You told him once..... so let it rest!

Some can't or don't want to DIY!
His money....his choice!!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ

RJ
if you want to let people waste their money, that's fine. But I like to try and save people money.

Unread 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post

RJ
Quote:
if you want to let people waste their money, that's fine. But I like to try and save people money.
Did you see my reply above? This is not a simple toe-in toe-out issue, which I agree I could do in my driveway.

Do you have a DIY write up to adjust the camber for a rear wheel?? I do things myself whenever I can, but I know enough to figure out when i'm in over my head..
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have a DIY write up to adjust the camber for a rear wheel??
And how do you expect the shop to adjust rear camber if that is a problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.