Tighten Emergency Brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tighten Emergency Brake

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
jrs948
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tighten Emergency Brake

E-Brake does not hold anymore even with the hand lever totally pulled. This is for a 98' TJ. Can someone point me to a step-by-step thread?

Thx.

-Justin

jrs948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePOTERmApw

2002 FSM PDF version
angelo2975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs948 View Post
E-Brake does not hold anymore even with the hand lever totally pulled. This is for a 98' TJ. Can someone point me to a step-by-step thread?

Thx.

-Justin
Justin,

The Video Angleo posted is great for adjusting the drum brakes, however you can adjust the emergency brake with an open ended wrench with the two cables go into one. If you get under the Jeep and look at the bottom of the tub you can follow the cables from both brakes and see where they come together. The adjustment is pretty self explanatory form there. Let me know if you have questions!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
Justin,

The Video Angleo posted is great for adjusting the drum brakes, however you can adjust the emergency brake with an open ended wrench with the two cables go into one. If you get under the Jeep and look at the bottom of the tub you can follow the cables from both brakes and see where they come together. The adjustment is pretty self explanatory form there. Let me know if you have questions!

-Ryan
Per the FSM, adjustment should only be made at the cables when cables have been removed/replaced. All other adjustment should be made at the star wheel in the hubs.
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Per the FSM, adjustment should only be made at the cables when cables have been removed/replaced. All other adjustment should be made at the star wheel in the hubs.
Interesting. I keep my drums adjusted properly but my cable must have stretched. Even though the drums were adjusted the brake didn't hold well. After adjusting the cable, all was good.

OP: Of course go with what the FSM says first, but if your drums are adjusted properly and you're still not getting it to hold, adjusting the cable worked for me. Good Luck!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.