Tie rod ends total cost? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tie rod ends total cost?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
mkiv808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tie rod ends total cost?

Shop wanted ~$800 with all parts and labor to do all tie rod ends, including alignment.

Seems like way overkill to me.

What should I expect for this service? Is it worth upgrading to beefier components if I'm not going to offroad much at all?

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Upgrade your tie rod and ends by doing the V8 ZJ swap yourself..the only alignment a shop can do is adjust you're toe-in. You can do that yourself in the driveway after you replace your tie rod with a tape measure. Total cost to you for the moog V8 ZJ parts should be less than $120..

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is high. I work in Stamford every day. I could come by and help you do it yourself if you wanted. Need to know exactly what they mean by "all tie rod ends". Maybe better to step back and ask what is the problem? Depending on what the problem is and what they are replacing we could probably have it done in 1-2 hours and a couple hundred bucks in parts for you. Oh, and on the alignment all they're going to do is set the toe which is simple to do yourself also.
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEERING-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-93-95-98-5-2L-TIE-ROD-ENDS-/140499371995

Pick up the 2 adjuster sleeves at the junkyard and you can do the upgrade for under $100 with new tie rod ends. Granted they are low quality and will have to be replaced sooner but they get the job done.

Stu's website has instructions for doing the alignment yourself.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
mkiv808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the tips. That eBay set is lower quality? I'll definitely spend a little extra for it to last.

What's the deal with the adjuster sleeves?
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
mkiv808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Upgrade your tie rod and ends by doing the V8 ZJ swap yourself..the only alignment a shop can do is adjust you're toe-in. You can do that yourself in the driveway after you replace your tie rod with a tape measure. Total cost to you for the moog V8 ZJ parts should be less than $120..

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm
It looks like from Napa the ZJ parts are more than $120? Each tie rod end is $50 and the tie rod itself is $100
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
mkiv808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So glad I stumbled upon this image:

Going to get under the car and see for myself what's worn and what isn't. The mechanic I had look at the vehicle before I bought it had stated the drag link end that connects to the pitman arm was worn. Nothing about the others.

If it's just that one drag link end, I assume that's a pretty easy part to swap out? Any watch-outs?
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
So glad I stumbled upon this image:

Going to get under the car and see for myself what's worn and what isn't. The mechanic I had look at the vehicle before I bought it had stated the drag link end that connects to the pitman arm was worn. Nothing about the others.

If it's just that one drag link end, I assume that's a pretty easy part to swap out? Any watch-outs?
It's easy to swap out. Nothing hidden will get in your way.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished doing that exact job. Fairly simple. Might need a pickle fork to get the end off the pitman arm. Unscrewing the tire rod end out of the drag link was time consuming because it was kinda rusted on there. Make sure you get it on there with the same measurements of the old one or your steering wheel will be off center. Take a drive and adjust it accordingly if so. Might take a few tries. Took me three to get it centered.
releaseme3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.