Ticking is driving me nuts! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ticking is driving me nuts!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
bat619

Ticking is driving me nuts!

OK, '99 4.0 5 speed. When I bought it a couple months ago it had a ticking noise. The dealer said their mechanic thought it was piston slap. I brought it to my girlfriend's family's mechanic and he said the same thing. This is from just staring at the engine while it's running. Both said it'd probably run another 100k miles. It's really bothering me though. Today I had our fire truck mechanic actually listen around different areas and he says it's coming from right under the valve cover and is probably valves or lifters.

I've read tons of posts with most saying it's just a Jeep noise that most all of them have. It doesn't seem that anybody ever comes back saying "This is what it was and this is how I fixed it". The noise is always present, increases in speed with RPM, MAYBE a little quieter when it warms up. Anybody ever have the problem and actually have it resolved?

Thanks in advance for the help.

bat619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat619 View Post
OK, '99 4.0 5 speed. When I bought it a couple months ago it had a ticking noise. The dealer said their mechanic thought it was piston slap. I brought it to my girlfriend's family's mechanic and he said the same thing. This is from just staring at the engine while it's running. Both said it'd probably run another 100k miles. It's really bothering me though. Today I had our fire truck mechanic actually listen around different areas and he says it's coming from right under the valve cover and is probably valves or lifters.

I've read tons of posts with most saying it's just a Jeep noise that most all of them have. It doesn't seem that anybody ever comes back saying "This is what it was and this is how I fixed it". The noise is always present, increases in speed with RPM, MAYBE a little quieter when it warms up. Anybody ever have the problem and actually have it resolved?

Thanks in advance for the help.
It's probably piston slap, I bought my TJ with piston slap, drove on it for 20,000 miles after they drove on it for who knows how long.

I have a few friends that are driving with piston slap. I wasn't worried about it because I planned on replacing the motor with a stroker when it blew.

You can have your current motor rebuilt, you could buy a new stock short block, you could buy a new stock long block, you could buy a used motor off of someone, or you could buy a stroker motor.

If you have low miles on the motor it would probably be a good call to rebuild that one, if it has high miles I would drive it till it pukes and start saving for some kind of replacement in the mean time.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search for "piston skirt" and you'll see what happens when you let piston slap go for too long. I personally had an issue with piston slap that resulted in a broke piston skirt. Here is a link with some pics of the damage.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/en...skirt-1005710/
I ended up just getting a crate engine and because I needed to get it back on the road quick. If you have the time and the money it's a great time to consider a stroker. Just don't assume that it will run another 100k with piston slap. I thought it was a problem with lifters too, but I really didn't know until I took the oil pan off and saw the skirt laying in the bottom. I tried several different things to diagnose the problem and none of them seemed very conclusive to me.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
bat619

i listened more today and it's definitely coming from up top, passenger side, at the rear of the valve cover. i guess i'll take it off and have a look-see. i'm not mechanically inclined at all so this ought to be fun.
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lifters ticking and piston slap are two totaly different sounds. This isn't a 6.0 GM with some weird *** pistons, if you have piston slap you should get it fixed, if it's lifters then it is pretty common for thes motors to have lifter noise.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
bat619

hopefully this is clickable to watch the video. i was sure the sound was coming from the passenger side of the valve cover, but at the end of the video when i move closer to the exhaust manifold it seems to get louder...

Unread 07-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
A small exhaust leak near the manifold can sound like a tick.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've learned to ignore my lifter tick, I find that it's less noisy after I change my oil so it motivates me to change my oil more often hehe.

If anyone is in the York area and wants to go wheeling let me know I'm always down!
Fischey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That doesn't sound good to me. Maybe it's just the video.
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
bat619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
That doesn't sound good to me. Maybe it's just the video.
the video is pretty much exactly how it sounds unfortunately...
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You want the good news or the bad, the good news is if you've ever wanted to install something different then this is the time for it. The bad news is it does sound like a slapping piston.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
andrewferin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sure sounds to me like lifter noise...........done a few of those that sounded just like that. replacing lifters is not a huge deal, but you do have to pull the head, so if you are not mechanically inclined, i would steer clear.

'61 CJ5
Chevy 350, 33's
andrewferin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm no mechanic, but I have lifter tick and that's not what it sounds like on mine... I think it sounds more serious too, personally.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My lifter ticking drives me bat-crazy. Now it is summer and the top is off and I cannot hear now most times. I have to agree that mine does not sound like yours. Your noise sounds different than what I hear when the RPMs change definitely. Good luck on what comes out of this.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
JrJmisn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mine seems to fade into the engine rev noise more when the RPMs go up than the one in the video. The video seems to sound like the ticking gets louder with RPM increase. Is that true? Mine doesnt seem to do that. But...along with all of you...THE TICKING IS DRIVING ME CRAZY
JrJmisn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ticking , piston , engine , motor , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.