throwout bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > throwout bearing?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

throwout bearing?

lately with the new AX15 i installed last month when it gets hot, it is hard to shift into and out of the gears. yesterday i replaced what i thought had gone out, my clutch master cylinder. i bled the lines and everything, but when i went to put the slave in the bell housing, it seems that the fork is pushed further away than before.

it was acting like i wasnt pressing down on the pedal far enough. i assure you, it went to the floor.

i started it and drove home. i stayed in second gear for 10 miles.

does this sound like my throwout bearing went bad? or the springs on it went bad? or did it pull apart? or something else maybe?
TIA.

Unread 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
lately with the new AX15 i installed last month when it gets hot, it is hard to shift into and out of the gears. yesterday i replaced what i thought had gone out, my clutch master cylinder. i bled the lines and everything, but when i went to put the slave in the bell housing, it seems that the fork is pushed further away than before.

it was acting like i wasnt pressing down on the pedal far enough. i assure you, it went to the floor.

does this sound like my throwout bearing went bad? or the springs on it went bad? or did it pull apart? or something else maybe?
TIA.
Why did you stay in 2nd gear for 10 miles? Is it not allowing you to even get out of gear without the clutch? I only ask, becasue I can go from 1st gear to 5th without touching the clutch, so if youre having issues getting it out of gear, it may be the AX15.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes, it is not letting me out of gear. i am afraid that if i pull it out of second that it wont let me back in to any other gear.

i probably could yank it out of gear. it was getting really hard to shift in and out of gear before. then my clutch pedal went to the floor and i assumed that it was my clutch master because the clutch line was the only thing used i put on here besides the bell housing.
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
yes, it is not letting me out of gear. i am afraid that if i pull it out of second that it wont let me back in to any other gear.

i probably could yank it out of gear. it was getting really hard to shift in and out of gear before. then my clutch pedal went to the floor and i assumed that it was my clutch master because the clutch line was the only thing used i put on here besides the bell housing.
I dont want to try to give advice, I am not knowledgeable in transmissions and clutchs... I just know with my transmission, im able to get in and out of gear without the clutch, but I dont know if the clutch or throwout bearing being bad would effect getting into and out of gear.

Good Luck.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Hokie76

I had a similar problem before I replaced all of my hydraulics. Mine will still act up on my when I'm driving in traffic on a hot day, but other than that it's smooth sailing. I'm going to try some new gear oil and see if that helps at all

I would try and replace the whole system, as it is easily swapped out and cheap, and then if that doesn't fix it look at some more serious causes
Hokie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

TIA.
When you say lately, has it been doing this since you did the tranny swap? The reason I ask is I had a very similar issue when I first bought my used '99 TJ. The problem ended up being that the "fork" was installed 180 degrees off. Meaning what should have been the right side was flipped to the left side. Is there a chance you mistakingly did this? Did you do the work yourself or did you have someone else do it for you? I would take a close look at this, it is not hard to do if your not paying attention. The distance from one end of the fork to the center of the throw out bearing is different than to other side. Does that make sense?

Good Luck!

David M
David_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i did the work myself.

along with the bell housing, i got the fork with the spring clip on it. i put the spring clip onto a new fork.

if this was my problem, why would it work for the last month just fine? i remember having a hard time installing the slave the first time because the fork was closer. now it seems to be pushed further away.

i wont rule out that i might have installed it incorrectly. is this installed correctly?

not mine, just want to be sure.
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Honestly, It's been a while and I couldn't say for certain. I will look to see if I took some before and after pictures and try to verify for you.

I will say this, your symtoms are exactly what I was seeing. The jeep would be fine on short trips (5-10 miles) anything longer and it just would not go into any gear. I changed tranny fliud and slave cylinder and it didn't do solve anything. I bought the LUK clutch kit and during the process I discovered the "fork" problem. It has shifted like a champ since then.

David M
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i ride my clutch for 4 hours a day. this is my work vehicle.

and lately since it has been getting really hot outside, later in the day it has been giving me trouble shifting in and out of gear.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This may sound stupid and simple but make sure at the slave cylinder rod that pushes the clutch fork is seated on the fork/cylinder. Because it is possible to miss the indention and not see it because of the rubber boot. Either that or a shift fork is stuck if you cant get it out of gear.

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i did make sure the slave rod was in the indention in the shift fork.

the shift fork is stuck.
Quote:
it seems that the fork is pushed further away than before.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If the fork is stuck looks like you need to start pulling bellhousing bolts.

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

the shift fork is stuck.[/QUOTE]

Yet another reason to check what I mentioned above. If the fork is rotated 180 degrees the left side will slightly rub the bellhousing.

David M
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

TO bearing could be stuck on the tranny input shaft or it could be busted, anything is possible at this point but you have no choice but to remove the tranny again.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

bump for the night crowd.

is the shift fork installed correctly in the pic i posted in post #7?
thanks again for all the replies, guys.

Tags
throwout bearing , clutch , ax15 , tranny , transmission , issue , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.