The FSM is a little helpful for this.
From the FSM:
TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
The transmission throttle valve is operated by a
cam on the throttle lever. The throttle lever is operated
by an adjustable cable (Fig. 177). The cable is
attached to an arm mounted on the throttle lever
shaft. A retaining clip at the engine-end of the cable
is removed to provide for cable adjustment. The
retaining clip is then installed back onto the throttle
valve cable to lock in the adjustment.
A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable will cause
the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously
with the throttle body lever from the idle
position. Proper adjustment will allow simultaneous
movement without causing the transmission throttle
lever to either move ahead of, or lag behind the lever
on the throttle body.
Checking Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment
(1) Turn ignition key to OFF position.
(2) Remove air cleaner.
(3) Verify that lever on throttle body is at curb idle
position. Then verify that transmission throttle lever
(Fig. 178) is also at idle (fully forward) position.
(4) Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body
(5) Compare position of cable end to attachment
stud on throttle body lever:
† Cable end and attachment stud should be
aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm
(0.039 in.) in either direction.
† If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned
(off center), cable will have to be adjusted as
described in Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment procedure.
(6) Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then
with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission
throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
† If both levers move simultaneously from idle to
half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is
† If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or
lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will
be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents
transmission lever from returning to closed position,
cable adjustment will be necessary.
Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment Procedure
(1) Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
(2) Remove air cleaner if necessary.
(3) Disconnect cable end from attachment stud.
Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull
(4) Verify that transmission throttle lever is in
fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle
body is at curb idle position.
(5) Insert a small screwdriver under edge of
retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
(6) Center cable end on attachment stud to within
1 mm (0.039 in.).
(7) Install retaining clip onto cable housing.
(8) Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission
throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.