Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) replaced...

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sportcoupe 
#1 ·
2000 TJ w/ 4.0, replaced my TPS today. I had been having a few issues with it idling up and down. I had cleaned My IAC and the port in which it sits. Now with the new TPS installed I'm idling at a steady 1k. This seems a little high to me, though I'm not sure if i had been driving on a failing one for so long, or if i need to look at replacing the IAC too.

#2 ·
Re-boot and clear out the old data.

This very simple procedure will Erase the “Adaptive Memory” stored inside the PCM and allow a new “Adaptive Memory” to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.

Please perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn Mode adaptive mode.

Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground ( not the battery negative terminal ) for 30 seconds. The engine block or the A/C compressor pump will work as a ground. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory).

Reconnect the Battery Cable
Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine
Turn Headlight “On”
Turn Headlights “Off”
Turn Ignition Key “Off”

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”.

The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

#3 ·
Re-boot and clear out the old data.

This very simple procedure will Erase the "Adaptive Memory" stored inside the PCM and allow a new "Adaptive Memory" to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.

Please perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn Mode adaptive mode.

Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground ( not the battery negative terminal ) for 30 seconds. The engine block or the A/C compressor pump will work as a ground. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory).

Reconnect the Battery Cable
Turn Ignition Switch to the "On" position but DO NOT start the engine
Turn Headlight "On"
Turn Headlights "Off"
Turn Ignition Key "Off"

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the "Adaptive Memory".

The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.
Thanks! will try this first thing tomorrow and report back.

#5 ·
this may be a stupid question, but can't you just have autozone clear the code with a code reader? or does it not get all of the stored information out? the reason i ask is because i just replaced an O2 sensor (bank one sensor two) and every time i clear it, it comes back in short order...i'm wondering if i need to do what you're saying here...thanks!

#7 ·
..can't you just have autozone clear the code with a code reader? or does it not get all of the stored information out? ....
AN OBD-II code reader can only delete the trouble codes. It does not delete any Adaptive Memory data.

If you are having a repeated Check Engine Light trouble code you have an issue that needs to be addressed and the trouble codes are your starting point for diagnostic testing.

#8 ·
Does that "clear/re-learn" sequence work with all computers, or just for the jeeps?.
There may or may not be similar procedures for other vehicle makes, but I would not randomly attempt this on other vehicles until you determine it is safe to do.

Most fuel injected vehicles do have an idle control valve that might need cleaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.