Throttle Position Sensor Replacement Write-Up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
djflyy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement Write-Up

Couldn't find a write up on here, so I thought that I would post one just in case anyone else needs the information on how to do this! My TPS was failing, which is exhibited by loss of power during acceleration and an unsteady idle. My TJ started throwing a CEL last September but never had any other signs of failure. A few weeks ago though I lost power accelerating up a hill on the way to a trail run, and it became worse after that.

I purchased the part from RockAuto for $24 and had it a few days later (usually their shipping is quick, but this came from Cali to Mass so it took a little longer).

TOOLS/PARTS NEEDED:
  • Throttle Position Sensor - RockAuto part #TH189T
  • 1/4" Drive Ratchet
  • 1/4" Drive Ratchet Extension
  • T20 Torx Bit

So first, lets locate the Throttle Position Sensor. It's right on the side of the Throttle Body, and has a harness connecting it to the engine computer. After removing the computer harness and securing it out of the way, we can begin backing out the long torx bolts that hold it into place.

There are two of the torx screws. They were sent from the factory with Loc-Tite on the end, so be prepared to fight a little. This can be a pain in the *** since there isnt a lot of room due to the wires and parts so closely near by that get in the way. The drivers side of the two screws might require use of the aforementioned socket extension just to get out of the way a little.

After both screws are out, you will be able to remove the TPS from the Throttle Body. It may take a little force, but it's a plastic piece so it should not be too difficult. Be sure to not lose the screws. At this point you can put it next to the new one and marvel at what little damage 13 years does to a piece of plastic, compared to a 13 year old part of steel or aluminum on the same Jeep.

The next step is to secure the gasket around the front of the TPS. Mine was blue. From there, you re-align the TPS with the TB, and screw it back in place. Be sure to note that it may take some slight off-camber positioning in order to get it onto the throttle body. Be gentle but move it around a bit to get it on there. Also make sure that the screws are nice and tight, and that there are no gaps between the TPS and the throttle body. After that, reconnect the harness and put away your tools...... The Jeep is back in service!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice write-up and pics

Obviously, it is much easier to get at if you happen to have the throttle body off for cleaning already anyway
post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflyy View Post

There are two of the torx screws. They were sent from the factory with Loc-Tite on the end, so be prepared to fight a little.
No kiddin'!

I twisted the splines on both of my T20 bits trying to get those screws out, so I ran out and bought a new set of "heavy-duty" Torx bits. Twisted the T20 in that set, then gave up and took it to a shop who had to drill the Torx screws out. I was out of time and patience.

'03 red Rubi
post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Amazing write-up! Thank you!!
Quick question: could you be more specific about the symptoms you were experiencing?

My Jeep is throwing P0122 and P0123 and I want to know if my symptoms are matching yours?
I experienced erratic RPMS while cruising, a loss of power (as if my pedal wasn't working), and a feeling that my Jeep was going to die.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-21-2016, 06:20 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.dailydriventj.com/tps.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishbot View Post
Amazing write-up! Thank you!!
Quick question: could you be more specific about the symptoms you were experiencing?

My Jeep is throwing P0122 and P0123 and I want to know if my symptoms are matching yours?
I experienced erratic RPMS while cruising, a loss of power (as if my pedal wasn't working), and a feeling that my Jeep was going to die.
TPS failure may have one or more of these Physical Symptoms:

1) The engine loses power and is stalling. Stumbling rpms while driving.
2) The engine will idle, but may die as soon as you press the gas pedal. When driving, it seems as if all power is gone.
3) Sometimes it feels as if the transmission is failed or isn't shifting properly, if at all. If you quickly jump on the gas you might be able to get the transmission to shift, but it won’t shift properly by itself. Shifting manually, the transmission goes through all the gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 PM
RedTheRebel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
For those you who have trouble gettin at the little torx heads, I replaced mine and found it was much easier to remove the whole throttle body so you can get some good pressure and a much better angle at these little torx heads (this was of course after stripping my T20) and the throttle body is pretty simple to remove especially if you have a cold air intake. just 4 bolts and pull 3 plugs (to include the TPS) off. it also gives you a great chance to inspect your throttle body which I discovered mine looked disgusting inside. Also there is no real need to order offline unless you really want to. local auto parts stores should have em in stock.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1339.jpg   IMG_1344.jpg   IMG_1345.jpg  

//REBEL TIL THE END //
2.5L 1998 TJ
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you Boogieman! Much appreciated!

RedTheRebel, did you clean your throttle body too? Is that something I should do? Does it really help? I figured since I'm messing with the TPS anyway, I should?
Also, did you do any cleaning to the Idle Air Control or MAF sensor?

For everyone, how long on average do TPS sensors and these other sensors normally last? Mine is wearing out at 115,000 miles.
Is a failing TPS a common thing? I just want to make sure it's not wiring or a bad PCM or dirty throttle body.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey all!

Just want to say that I replaced my TPS today.
It was a 30 min job: 1 min to replace the sensor, 29 min to unscrew the damn thing. Holy ****.

But it's all running amazing now. I even cleaned out the throttle body while I was at it!
Thanks everyone! I'll update again in 6 months, but if you don't hear from me, it means everything worked

Nishant
post #10 of 10 Old 03-24-2016, 08:00 PM
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Actually, quick question.
My TPS never had a gasket when I removed it, and my new one didn't come with a gasket.
Do I actually need one?

Tags
bad idle , loss of power , throttle , throttle position sensor , tps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.