Throttle Position Sensor replaced, but code keeps popping up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Throttle Position Sensor replaced, but code keeps popping up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
adudenamedsean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
The thing is, I did. I replaced it, followed all the instructions the FSM gave me, and was careful to make sure the shaft was correctly positioned. And somehow it still got srcewed up . Frustration ensued afterwards...

I learned my lesson. I'm embarrassed, but I learned my lesson.
Two years ago my TPS started throwing a code and acting up also. I installed a new one and it didn't fix it. Thinking I bought a bad one, I went back to the parts store and got a new one. Didn't fix it either. During all of this, I was installing it exactly how I had read too. I even reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. I eventually spoke with a family friend who worked at the Jeep dealership and he said it had to be calibrated. So he took the Jeep to work with him one day and it came home running beautifully. I have no clue what he did, but it fixed it. So, maybe we have special Jeeps?

adudenamedsean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #32
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adudenamedsean View Post
Two years ago my TPS started throwing a code and acting up also. I installed a new one and it didn't fix it. Thinking I bought a bad one, I went back to the parts store and got a new one. Didn't fix it either. During all of this, I was installing it exactly how I had read too. I even reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. I eventually spoke with a family friend who worked at the Jeep dealership and he said it had to be calibrated. So he took the Jeep to work with him one day and it came home running beautifully. I have no clue what he did, but it fixed it. So, maybe we have special Jeeps?
What year was your jeep?
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #33
adudenamedsean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesjeff33 View Post
What year was your jeep?
It's a 98
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #34
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

These TPS's shouldn't require any calibration, unless perhaps it's on the PCM side? While dealing with certain problems from my new TPS's (weird idle to WOT range from scanner, 10-69% and voltages from TPS don't match FSM specs) I spoke to a service tech at a dealership. He was puzzled by what I told him but suggested I come in and they use a DRB Scanner to reset my ECU. I asked him if this was similar to a battery pull and he said that they actually go in and delete information. For $94 I was not about to find out if this was actually true or not. Could this be the calibration everyone is speaking of? The FSM states that the PCM learns a voltage for the minimum TPS value and that the actions for several calculations (fuel management, WOT threshold, some fuel cuttoff values, etc) are based off of this learned idle voltage. If the PCM does need to be calibrated to relearn this idle TPS value then this is something we cannot do ourselves or without a DRB scanner which costs $8k. To the OP, did you try resetting your PCM like suggested? Did you try a 8-10 hour (overnight) clearing?
MikalCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #35
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adudenamedsean View Post
This makes me feel great I still have no clue what I did wrong, or what the mechanic did to fix the problem. Glad I'm not alone!!! haha
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #36
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
This makes me feel great I still have no clue what I did wrong, or what the mechanic did to fix the problem. Glad I'm not alone!!! haha
what year was your jeep?
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #37
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what year was your jeep?
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #38
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine View Post
These TPS's shouldn't require any calibration, unless perhaps it's on the PCM side? While dealing with certain problems from my new TPS's (weird idle to WOT range from scanner, 10-69% and voltages from TPS don't match FSM specs) I spoke to a service tech at a dealership. He was puzzled by what I told him but suggested I come in and they use a DRB Scanner to reset my ECU. I asked him if this was similar to a battery pull and he said that they actually go in and delete information. For $94 I was not about to find out if this was actually true or not. Could this be the calibration everyone is speaking of? The FSM states that the PCM learns a voltage for the minimum TPS value and that the actions for several calculations (fuel management, WOT threshold, some fuel cuttoff values, etc) are based off of this learned idle voltage. If the PCM does need to be calibrated to relearn this idle TPS value then this is something we cannot do ourselves or without a DRB scanner which costs $8k. To the OP, did you try resetting your PCM like suggested? Did you try a 8-10 hour (overnight) clearing?
So I disconnected the battery for over 10 hours last night and it ran much better in the morning, but I still have a hiccup in the acceleration and the TPS high voltage code is still there. My cruise control still does not work either.
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #39
adudenamedsean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I disconnected the battery for over 10 hours last night and it ran much better in the morning, but I still have a hiccup in the acceleration and the TPS high voltage code is still there. My cruise control still does not work either.
I would say its definitely the clockspring then. Disconnect it from behind the steering wheel and see how it runs. the clockspring and the TPS share a common ground.
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #40
zupatun

Quote:
If you've been having hiccups and your cruise does not work the "hiccup" may have dislodged one of your vaccum lines. My TPS needs replacement (scanner) and in the last couple months I've had to go and push one of the vaccum lines back on after a "hiccup".

Open the lid and listen inside for a whistle that sounds like a vaccum leak on the right side of the engine compartment, there are at least a couple places where a vaccum line might get dislodged...worked for me.

Matt
zupatun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #41
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My clockspring was bad and everything is working perfectly now that it is replaced. It cost me $214 plus tax. I would highly recommend finding one at a junk yard... there is a lot of money to be saved on this part.
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #42
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Just curious, why do you recommend the positive cable first?
Ive always done that cause being an electrician you disconnect the hot first because if there is a load on the circuit the neutral will be hot if you remove it from ground.
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #43
natetgreat

having excact same problems no cruise control code 24 already replaced tps also digital overead dir. and temp disply comes and gos wipers work even when igntion is turned off but i dont have air bags and drivers window was out while parked for months so it rained thru hole a few times but no clock spring no air bag HELP 1992 cherokee larado 4.0 auto run fin shifts wrong tep gauge bounces all over the place
natetgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #44
natetgreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetgreat View Post
having excact same problems no cruise control code 24 already replaced tps also digital overead dir. and temp disply comes and gos wipers work even when igntion is turned off but i dont have air bags and drivers window was out while parked for months so it rained thru hole a few times but no clock spring no air bag HELP 1992 cherokee larado 4.0 auto run fin shifts wrong tep gauge bounces all over the place
natetgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #45
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

for the cruise issue, try the brake light switch. mine wouldn't work at speed and that was all it was. the cruise light would come on and everything but wouldn't hold speed.

i fd up my clockspring when i changed my steering box a few years ago. my horn and cruise didn't work.
i picked up a used one on egay for like 75 i think. it was way cheaper than a new one.

i did have a tps problem bout 6 mths ago. i picked up a new one from advance auto and it lasted about half a day. i had to exchange it for another one and it worked fine after that. i used the flashpaq to clear the code.
i did not do the reflash of my comp.

every couple of days or so my jeep will just shut off while idling. dunno what the heck it is. no codes or check engine light. i replaced the cps and cps around the same time as the tps. i was getting a camshaft sensor/bank 1 circuit 1 when it would die out. i changed the upstream o2 sensor and the camshaft sensor and the cps and it still does it, but with no codes. dang heep

hope this helps
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
p0123 , position , sensor , throttle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.