Are throttle body spacers worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Are throttle body spacers worth it?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
MeGAMoE

Are throttle body spacers worth it?

was wondering the throtle body spacers worth it, and if u had the opition of putting plugs instead which one u'd go for?

thx

MeGAMoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
paroxysym
2007 WK 

id swap plugs first if you need to. i have a rustys throttle spacer and it makes a whistle noise when you romp on it. doesnt do anything... if you dont need plugs- save the money for something else. or get one for the whistle..
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, absolutely not. Don't forget that nothing but air comes through the throttle body, all the fuel is injected well below directly into the combustion chambers. Spacers can work wonders when installed under carburetors, just not throttle bodies where the fuel is injected well below them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
bobbert350

best bet is to get a high flow air filter like a k&n
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert350
best bet is to get a high flow air filter like a k&n
Only if he wants additional dust and dirt getting into his engine. And, no kidding, the factory air box and filter can flow way more air than the engine is capable of demanding even at high RPMs and wide-open throttle. Once I figured out how much additional dirt and crap my K&N was passing, I removed it and went with a Trueflow air filter. Before I found the Trueflow, I ended up adding two prefilters on top of each other trying to reduce the additional amount of dirt the K&N was passing.

Unread 10-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
BMdeckie

I hear the spacers make excellent paper weights.

[COLOR="Orange"][B]U.S.C.G. Jeep Club member[/B][/COLOR] #2
BMdeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
DrMani
Live to Cut

2002 TJ Wrangler 

The whistle is cool sounding, but that is about the only good that the thing does. People do tend to look when they hear it.

If I had known about the forum prior to buying mine I would not have bought it.

No autopsy, no foul.
DrMani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdeckie
I hear the spacers make excellent paper weights.
Hey that is a good idea, I will move my red anodized TB spacer from my junk box to my desk where it will be a nice conversation starter.

Unread 10-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Envygreen

for some reason it made a difference for me, even wife was shocked, it had a lot more get up and go. I thought it was the best engine mod i made. If you run an intake just use an outerwears when your offroad. If every quad and sand car is alright with that setup, your straight six will be too. Be aware of forum hype, alot of people repeat things they have heard as fact from experience
Envygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envygreen
for some reason it made a difference for me, even wife was shocked, it had a lot more get up and go. I thought it was the best engine mod i made. If you run an intake just use an outerwears when your offroad. If every quad and sand car is alright with that setup, your straight six will be too. Be aware of forum hype, alot of people repeat things they have heard as fact from experience
In my personal opinion, that added "get up and go" you felt was there was a placebo effect. There's no technical reason it could do that, at least no one has ever presented valid data or reasons here on how it could do that.

Quad and sand cars also get driven so few miles when compared to our Jeeps as to make that a meaningless comparison. And Baja type race cars that use K&Ns get their engines rebuilt probably 5X as often as our Jeep engines do. If you had seen the ISO 9001 tests that showed just how poor of a filter the K&N was, you wouldn't be defending it. The added amount of silica and dust that got past the K&N, when compared to something like an AC-Delco paper air filter, was amazing. Too bad that website is no longer up.

Unread 10-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Envygreen

Ok no prob, i get everything oil analyzed from blackstone. However i know your passionate about the subject. I have seen that test, its not real world, unless you follow people at high speed on dirt roads. On another note On my way to Escondido last night a dear jumped out at me on del dios destroyed my crossfire, thought you would enjoy a wildlife story from a local, CHP was shocked

Last edited by Envygreen; 10-03-2006 at 02:05 PM..
Envygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used one of the throttle body spacers that has the spiral core for about a year. All it did was whistle and cause my cruise control not to engage right. I'm sorry I ever bought it.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Agree on the spacer being meaningless on anything but a carb. Fuel and air must pass through them to make them effective. To that end I have seen VERY measurable gains on an engine dyno with a spacer under a carb. Even then the style of spacer is a big factor. 4 holes work on some better that the open kind and all that depends on a million variables such as head flow, cam selection, intake selection, carb selection, compression.....etc...etc.... As far as air intakes.....no the stock intake is not the most efficient design. An open element style of your choice will pick up power across the board. Combine that with a cat back and you will see an increase again. We are not talking nitrous oxide gains, but a measureable, gain. I'm stating a fact, not opinion. I have installed, dyno'd and driven many cars and trucks with just these mods. Think of it this way, yes you can breath through a straw. Yes you can breath through a snorkel. Yes you can breath through you mouth. Which of those is easier? Again, this in not my theory, I have seen this a thousand times on a dyno. It's also similar to the x pipe v. H pipe exhaust arguement. They both flow enough for the given engine but because of design, x pipes usually make better power. Also I'm pretty sure most of the dune buggies and quads see a real good amount of off road time comparable to Jeeps. I would say my average speed whil moving on my quad is at least 40 or 50 off road and most of that is at WOT. I know a guy who has about 75,000miles on his dune buggy and has a cabin at Silver Lake sand dunes. He drives his buggy every where and spends a considerable amount of time in the sand. He has been driving dunes for the last 30 years. He runs K&N's and outerwears and has never had a filter related failure. All the people I know run pretty much the same setup on our stuff and can say the same. However, K&N filters are not the best filtering filter. You have to keep them oiled and clean. They do dryout a lot, especially in higher horsepower applications or boosted applications. Once they dry out a little they become far less effective. I agree with Jerry, never buy a part because a "race car" runs it. They have a far shorter life than any street motor. They also have different tolerances and get way more frequent oil changes and check ups in that short life.
Wup This is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envygreen
On another note On my way to Escondido last night a dear jumped out at me on del dios destroyed my crossfire, thought you would enjoy a wildlife story from a local, CHP was shocked
Wow, a deer on the Del Dios? I'm on that road all the time, never have seen any. That's pretty darned close to my house! Too bad about your Crossfire, that's a really nice car but at least it doesn't sound like anyone got hurt!

Unread 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
TJAB
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't beleive everything I read, but here is what the guys at Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road magazine have to say about it.

"There is a lot of controversy over the legitimacy of throttle-body spacers. We can tell you that they definately work (to improve power and fuel mileage) on some engines, while others we couldn't tell. ............... and throttle-body spacers definately work on 4.0L (JEEP) engines."

They go on to explain that with the stock settup air is entering the intake manifold fast enough that it "bounces" back at incoming air and slows the intake of air. The spacer slows down the air and it enters the intake manifold more effeciently. The end result is supposed to be better power and mileage.
TJAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.