Thoughts about this lift?? Skyjacker 4" Economy Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Thoughts about this lift?? Skyjacker 4" Economy Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Enimo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thoughts about this lift?? Skyjacker 4" Economy Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks

I have a 97 tj with 2" BL. Would like to add 33's. I want the best look and ride possible without spending $1000's. Should I remove BL and add SL or keep BL and add smaller SL? Also, thoughts on the 4" Skyjacker Economy Lift with Hydro from Quadratec??

Enimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
TJamie

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't buy it - that kit doesn't come with nearly enough parts for a 4" lift kit. You'll definitely need adjustable track bars, and you'll need adjustable control arms if you ever decide to get rid of the t-case drop. The Hydros are cheap shocks and won't be a very smooth ride either. Ultimately you won't save any money by going this route.

If you're just looking to fit 33's on a budget and look okay, do a 2" BB in addition to your BL. You'll keep your stock coils, get upgraded shocks (maybe) and won't have to deal with a t-case drop. And you'll only spend $300 and have it installed in a day.
TJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the 2" body lift and replace it with a 1.25" then add a 2-2.5" spring lift. Check out the dpg deluxe kit. 2" of bl is just to much for a number of reasons.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are really too many things wrong with the parts that come with this lift kit. First off you don't need the DPA, doesn't come with an adjustable trackbar. For the money I wouldn't waste my time. The shocks are decent for the price they are nice riding hydros if you are looking for a soft ride. If budget is the issue I would go with the Zone offroad 3" lift kit . This lift kit you could always add an adj. trackbar or just redrill the axle side mounting hole. And if you want gas charged shocks they are upgradable for only $21.
drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

DOODOO /thread
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Enimo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks STIFLER for your fine comments. I ASSume you never had questions and was a professional from day one. Congrats!!
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

oh sorry.. let me try again! That kit is great you should buy 2 of them! and it was day 2 that I turn pro
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Enimo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, sorry Mr Marine, I just now saw the UMC in your title....semper fi bro...
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enimo View Post
Oh, sorry Mr Marine, I just now saw the UMC in your title....semper fi bro...
FWIW I think that "doodoo" was his opinion on the lift, not your post.

I had this lift and wasn't happy at all... the PO installed it and I replaced it.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
FWIW I think that "doodoo" was his opinion on the lift, not your post.

I had this lift and wasn't happy at all... the PO installed it and I replaced it.
DING DING DING

and it is USMC for the record

and Semper Fi
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

As said above: ditch the tall body lift and get a 1" or 1.25" kit from a decent/reputable manufacturer. I would do a motor mount lift at the same time, to prevent drilling your fan shroud. You can get a 2" budget boost/coil spacer, but that doesn't address your shocks at all. For the price of the BB, you could get decent shocks, and the springs aren't that much more.

Check DPG...they have good stuff from OME. JKS makes MML blocks, or you can spend $100 on the Brown Dog versions. Savvy, Daystar, etc. make good BL kits. Or, if you want to do it all at once:

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/

That gets you in at $1000, and you have quality components. If you can't swing $1000 now, then do it next month if at all possible. There's nothing more expensive than doing something the cheap way.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
Remove the 2" body lift and replace it with a 1.25" then add a 2-2.5" spring lift. Check out the dpg deluxe kit. 2" of bl is just to much for a number of reasons.
Why is 2" too much?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the above posts - the skjacker economy rides like crap - my friends GF's TJ had one when she bought it and within the week we replaced the entire kit even though it was like new! The poly arms and t case drop just did not cut it... I would actually prefer my RC 2.5 with a 1.75 spacer over the SJ 4 inch coils and the RC coils are notorious for being stiff... I think the rock ready coils have a softer rate but do not quote me on that.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Why is 2" too much?
the gaps are ugly and even though it is safe, 2 inches of body lift will give you issues with t case shifting, slight alteration of steering shaft between wheel and box and fan shroud problems.

1.25 is not noticeable at all and paired with MML gives you vibe free performance. On my 01 I did not have to modify anything - just installed MML's same day and rolled.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Why is 2" too much?
Same as mentioned above. It was my understanding that the shifters/linkages and steering column could start to pose issues at anything over 1" or 1.25"...I hate the way it looks, too, but my commentary was based on physical issues.

If I'm wrong on that, PLEASE correct me.

Edit: also, the fan shroud and motor mounts...although I think I've seen 2" raised motor mounts at Brown Dog...but that's a lot of drivline angle change.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.