For those of you with tummy tucks (exhaust) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > For those of you with tummy tucks (exhaust)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
290tjjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For those of you with tummy tucks (exhaust)

What exhaust setups are you running? My Flowmaster muffler is done with, the internals are falling apart and rattling. On my jeep I have the UCF UHC skidplate so it does push the exhaust up quite a bit. So the muffler I am going to be looking for needs to be way slimmer than the Flowmaster. It would hit the heat shield and the upper control arm bolt.

290tjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
goody6691
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep had a banks monster exhaust on it. That muffler just fits with the ucf ultra high clearance skid. I put a turndown right after the skid. Try one of the round magnaflows.
o3 tj, yellow, currie 4 in,savvy arms, 1in bl, mml, ramsey 9500, synth line, 8.8, 456's, arb's. 35x12.5x17 mtrk's, 17x8.5 raceline beadlocks, aem, banks exhaust, psc rear stinger, no limits front stinger, rockmen corners, a-z cage, piaa lights, rampage softtop, anti-rock, AA shifter, UCF aluminum skid.........98 audi a4, fully built, 350 whp awd, yellow
goody6691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had an exhaust shop weld in a smaller tubular welded muffler. No real name brand to speak of, but it's a lot smaller than stock and barely any louder. Just go to an exhaust shop and ask for their help. See what they have.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
290tjjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just got back from an exhaust shop and I got quoted around $760.00 for a new magnoflow muffler and tailpipe installed...

Then I went to a friends to measure his muffler on his jeep. He has a Banks muffler, which is significantly smaller than the Flowmaster.

Flowmaster: 4.25 x 9.5 x 17.25"
Banks: 4 x 9 x 14"
Magnoflow: 5 x 8 x 18"
Unread 03-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a little SpynTech muffler and a turn down right after the skid. I am not in a state that does inspections or in an area that does emissions though.
Unread 03-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 10 series Flowmaster with a turndown about 4 inches past my UCF skid. It drones a bit on the freeway, but doesn't bother me at all.

I bought the mufflers from a guy at work that had them on his new Camaro for 3 days and didn't like them. I bought the pair from him for $80 (steal of a price) They didn't even have any carbon built up in them. I liked them because of the small size to tuck nicely in the skid, and it does just that. I can try to get a photo if you're interested.
Spent about an hour in the garage fitting and welding it where I liked it.
I may put the other on my DD Ranger, or just keep it on my parts shelf. For the price I might as well hang onto it for the future.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
290tjjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer having the tailpipe and not the turndown after the muffler. Right now I am leaning towards the Banks exhaust kit, due to its smaller sized muffler. Also does anyone have experience with the MBRP kit? I like that the muffler is round. My main concern is to make sure what ever new exhaust I get does not hit the heat shield and the control arm bolt.
Unread 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

AFE has bolt on SS hi-tuck versions of the mach force xp cat back with 4x9x14 muffler (similar to banks, with perforated straight through core and pack) with either 2.5" or 3" piping and tailpipe. similar price to banks ...

(btw the only bolt on SS 3" cat back system so far ... interesting for swap/stroker projects )
chmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
290tjjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright! Well I went with the Dynomax exhaust and I am very satisfied! The muffler and tailpipe with fine with the tummy tuck. The sound is very similar to the Flowmaster 50, except its a tad bit quieter. But that all can change over time. The only thing I had to do to besides installing it was to cut off part of the tailpipe at the end. It stuck way to far out and I didn't want it to get bend by anything offroad.

Old Flowmaster...

Long tailpipe

Cut

Underneath

Unread 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i went cheap with a 30 dollar cherry bomb muffler in the tubular style... got it from summit racing... body of muffler is no more than 6 inches wide and 8 inches long (15 overall) i think... a little louder than the turbo muffler i had on there with the turn down but once i get my rear suspension set i am going to re do the rear pipe and that should help quiet the noise and get the exhaust noise out from under the jeep... the turn down is ok - i did it right- aimed away from gas tank and there is no fumes in cab... it is the cheap way to go with maximum clearance for UCF skid

this is the one i got:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IMM-87522/

short and tucks anywhere... again, kinda on the loud side and took some time getting used to with the 2.5 but fit beautifully.

Last edited by aparke4; 03-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: added link for muffler
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290tjjeep View Post
I just got back from an exhaust shop and I got quoted around $760.00 for a new magnoflow muffler and tailpipe installed...
I had a Magnaflow put in before my TT install. I knew the TT install was on my horizon, and just kind of explained to the guy what I what I was after. Fit like a glove and the TT went in fine. Probably lucked out on that one?

I think I paid about 1/2 what you got quoted, call around is all I can say. Course I have no clue if there is more than one type of Magnaflow either.

To me the magnaflow sounds kind of "ricey". I might try a more "throaty" one next time if my driveshaft breaks off and takes this one out too.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
290tjjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you guys know that I already bought the Dynomax muffler and tailpipe.
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
tailhole
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just cut mine off and ran down to the muffler shop and found a short flow master and a 10in piece of pipe.
tailhole is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.