For those of you with LED tails... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > For those of you with LED tails...

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
hboy828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For those of you with LED tails...

I just bought some blazer 4" led STT lights from walmart, what are you guys doing for reverse lights? Im looking for a clear 2" led with rubber grommet but haven't had any luck. Also, how do you do the wiring? I haven't taken off the old ones yet, but the blazers have 1 red, 1 black, and 1 white wire.

hboy828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
98wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this mod about a month ago, the splicing is pretty easy, although I don't remember the colors just hook up a volt meter to each one and see which one gets voltage with the parking light and which with the blinkers, the white wire on the led lights is a ground, drivers side has a grounding strap that I just spliced into and the other side I had to hunt for a place that works, just make sure you cut a 4.5 inch hole or they won't fit right. This is what mine look like, I haven't done reverse lights yet though
image-3407903481.jpg  
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rubber tractor light, $12 at Autozone.
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got this LED on amazon for ~$25.00. Super bright and draws less than 2 amps so I wired it directly to the stock backup light wiring.

image-1864036866.jpg

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
socaldaveh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This works for me...

You can read about jeeps all you want, but if you take a jeep that you don't love out on the trail, she'll shake you down just as sure as the the turning of the world. Love keeps her going when she ought to break down, tells you she's hurting before she dies. It's a jeep thing, you probably won't understand.
socaldaveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0 View Post
I got this LED on amazon for ~$25.00. Super bright and draws less than 2 amps so I wired it directly to the stock backup light wiring.

Attachment 548274

Sent from my TJ
Just got this light after waiting a month for shipping from hong kong... ebay Wiring it up the same, just mounting on a stock rear bumper.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Attachment 548274

Sent from my TJ
I bought one of those too (from eBay mind you, but looks identical.) How bright is it? I mounted mine to my bumper, but haven't wired it in yet. It seemed bright enough running it from a battery...
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus

I bought one of those too (from eBay mind you, but looks identical.) How bright is it? I mounted mine to my bumper, but haven't wired it in yet. It seemed bright enough running it from a battery...
It's VERY bright. Lights up everything. I don't like the position- the spare tire shadows too much. Gonna move it. It's only temp'd in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17

Just got this light after waiting a month for shipping from hong kong... ebay Wiring it up the same, just mounting on a stock rear bumper.
?? Mine was on my door step in 2 days with amazon prime. Free shipping to boot!

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
wazilian
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldaveh View Post
This works for me...

Why are you showing us a picture of your headlights?
Black Hard Top...when its on
Garfield Air Freshener
And there's a frame under there too...I've seen it
wazilian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
ChrisTJ34
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the tractor light from autozone to!
ChrisTJ34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
socaldaveh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazilian View Post
Why are you showing us a picture of your headlights?
That's my back up light!

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...bar/1218/2859/

The price seems to be going up every time I look at it but $170 is still very reasonable compared to what most off road led light bars cost. It's definitely not bullet proof though it is water proof, I'm expecting the glass on it to break at some point though it still hasn't.

Also fyi, superbrightled's has a 2 inch flushmount white LED kit you can ACTUALLY use for backup lights.

Lights

Grommet

Plug

I think my order was right around $25 for these. Same process as installing the taillights, mark off a hole, freak out a little over drilling big *** holes in you tub, drill holes. I haven't actually mounted mine yet but they're on my list.

Wow, I just looked and when I bought that light bar it was $109, I should have bought 3.
You can read about jeeps all you want, but if you take a jeep that you don't love out on the trail, she'll shake you down just as sure as the the turning of the world. Love keeps her going when she ought to break down, tells you she's hurting before she dies. It's a jeep thing, you probably won't understand.
socaldaveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
sbaird95
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the little walmart "fog" lights mounted under/behind the bumper, pretty bright and out of the way.
sbaird95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's VERY bright. Lights up everything. I don't like the position- the spare tire shadows too much. Gonna move it. It's only temp'd in now.
Good to know, thank you I put mine on the pass side bumper. I have Saavy tails, so the drivers side wasn't going to work as it would cover to much of the plate as it's lowered now.
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Genright has a nice semi-flush reverse light. They are designed to work with their bumper plate but will work in any 1"((I believe) hole.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
giles45shop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a pair of these 2" LED's for $24.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-White-2-Ro...item20cbfa1efd

and installed them in my tire carrier. I used a hole saw to cut the holes in the tire carrier and ran the wires inside the carrier tubing and then out the backside near the hinge point on the passenger side.

Biggest problem was that I ran into the reinforced section of the C-channel from the hinge that was welded inside the tube on the passenger side when I was cutting that hole. I had to use my plasma cutter to finish making a hole for it.

You can also see the license plate light (normal incandescent bulb ~ $8 from auto parts store) and my LED side marker lights ($7 from Tractor Supply) in the second picture.

Tail lights are Grote 53312 Super Nova's (24 LED's Hermetically sealed, $35 each) from here:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/gr...ed-p-w38-53312

giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
LED lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.