those running the OME kit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
paroxysym
2007 WK 

those running the OME kit

did you do a MML with the lift to eliminate vibes or will a tcase drop be sufficient? the reason im asking ive seen answers ranging from just a tcase, to doing a SYE. but for 2.5" lift i didnt think it would be necessary? im running a d35, arent they friendlier to lifts/vibes compared to a d44? thanks for the help.

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 06:38 AM
thejafe

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
did you do a MML with the lift to eliminate vibes or will a tcase drop be sufficient? the reason im asking ive seen answers ranging from just a tcase, to doing a SYE. but for 2.5" lift i didnt think it would be necessary? im running a d35, arent they friendlier to lifts/vibes compared to a d44? thanks for the help.
Here is my philosophy on it and how I went about my buildup:

There really isn't a cut and dry answer to vibes... basically you just gotta put on the kit and see what happens because as they say "every Jeep is different", and that's true. Some will get vibes, some will not. Dropping your t-case might eliminate your vibes, might not but it certainly won't do anything to help your ground clearance.

A BL/MML may or may not solve a vibe problem. It really isn't the cure-all solution it's made out to be. Although it does help in some cases.

I didn't want a BL on my rig because I really do dislike the way it looks. Just a personal preference. Some will tell you that it will allow you to fit larger tires and add a belly-up transfer case skid while allowing you to keep a low center of gravity. I opted to add .75" spacers above my coils instead. With only a 2.5" lift I did not feel that adding another .75" was going to seriously have an effect on my center of gravity. There are tons of people out there running RE 3.5" Superflex kits (and larger) on their daily drivers so I wasn't worried. Of course I was planning on a SYE/CV from the outset.

Also, people will telly you that the BL will allow you to add a belly-up BUT if you go with the Nthº Tummy Tucker (the best belly-up option IMO) it does NOT require a BL. Also, with ANY belly-up type skidplate you will be required to have a SYE/CV anyway. So unless cost of the SYE/CV + labor is a factor why not just do the SYE/CV from the start and be done with it? No need to mess around with the BL/MML combo and you'll be vibe free AND ready for your belly-up should you choose to go that route.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Grimmjpr

A long long time ago in a land far far away i had a Pro Comp 2 inch lift on my 97 Sport. Just shocks, springs and discos ran 31 inch BFG MT's and then upgraded to 33x10.50x15 SS Thornturds......I had no vibes. The lift gave me excatly 2 inches over stock not including the tires. After i moved to Utah and put on a Teraflex 3 inch system i needed to drop the t-case with the supplied spacers. I think i was just about at the limit of the lift/vibe ratio with the 2 inch lift. hope this helps a bit. Every Jeep is a bit different. My Rubi is running a OME HD 2 inch with a JKS BL/BMML combo with a Medic TT and i have no vibes with the stock driveshaft and stock legnth control arms.....but others have done 2.5-3 inch lifts only and had vibes.....kinda hit and miss. Good luck.

2012 JK Rubi - Cosmos Blue/5 speed auto
04 TJ Electric Lime Green Rubicon - Bunch of extras. Cha-Ching - Gone
97 TJ Lapis Blue Sport - Gone

post #4 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 AM
erickpl

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thejafe answered pretty much what I was going to say. But I have the 2.5L and D35 setup. When I FIRST installed the lift, I tried driving it for a half day to see about vibes. I had them on acceleration, so I put the t-case drop on. I originally didn't want a body or motor lift because I wasn't too thrilled about the looks myself.

Well, after wheeling, I realized that even that small t-case drop was acting as an even bigger shovel. Dammit. My wife even commented that I needed to get out of the dirt and go bigger with the Jeep.

So the JKS 1.25" BL was installed. Okay, that doesn't look so bad. My trim is black and my Jeep is green, so it wasn't so noticeable. I can live with that. But to really get rid of the vibes and regain my clearance, I went with the BMML. Now honestly I was nervous about this one because I was loosening the engine from the mounts and that just freaked me out - until I did it. It was a slight PITA to do, but SO worth it. I raised my t-case back up (kept it VERY loose while doing it so the engine could move easier), and drove it.

NO VIBES!!!!

But the BL/MML also allowed me to consider several different belly up options, besides nth degree's solution - an added benefit of BL/MML setup. I'm going with the 33 Engineering skid setup. So combine that with the 2.5" OME setup, I think I'll be good to go for the wheeling I do. Yeah I need the SYE/CV for that too.

Ultimately, you have to decide if the BL/MML is right for you. Depending on your wants and needs (bigger tires, higher clearance, etc) is worth it for you. I hated the looks of the t-case drop more than I hate the looks of the BL.

-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl
thejafe answered pretty much what I was going to say. But I have the 2.5L and D35 setup. When I FIRST installed the lift, I tried driving it for a half day to see about vibes. I had them on acceleration, so I put the t-case drop on. I originally didn't want a body or motor lift because I wasn't too thrilled about the looks myself.

Well, after wheeling, I realized that even that small t-case drop was acting as an even bigger shovel. Dammit. My wife even commented that I needed to get out of the dirt and go bigger with the Jeep.

So the JKS 1.25" BL was installed. Okay, that doesn't look so bad. My trim is black and my Jeep is green, so it wasn't so noticeable. I can live with that. But to really get rid of the vibes and regain my clearance, I went with the BMML. Now honestly I was nervous about this one because I was loosening the engine from the mounts and that just freaked me out - until I did it. It was a slight PITA to do, but SO worth it. I raised my t-case back up (kept it VERY loose while doing it so the engine could move easier), and drove it.

NO VIBES!!!!

But the BL/MML also allowed me to consider several different belly up options, besides nth degree's solution - an added benefit of BL/MML setup. I'm going with the 33 Engineering skid setup. So combine that with the 2.5" OME setup, I think I'll be good to go for the wheeling I do. Yeah I need the SYE/CV for that too.

Ultimately, you have to decide if the BL/MML is right for you. Depending on your wants and needs (bigger tires, higher clearance, etc) is worth it for you. I hated the looks of the t-case drop more than I hate the looks of the BL.
so a MML and a BL, without a tc drop will cure vibes till i do a SYE/CV and a belly-up?

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
post #6 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 AM
dojohnso

No guarantees. "Every Jeep is different." Be prepared to do the deed.

05 SOLAR YELLOW TJ Rubicon
Yellow Jeep Club Member #1102
I've got a few cool add ons.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
rsm688

transfer case drop

04 TJ Columbia Edition with some junk in the trunk
post #8 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 08:37 AM
erickpl

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so a MML and a BL, without a tc drop will cure vibes till i do a SYE/CV and a belly-up?
On my D35 with the 2.5" lift (3" actually), yes it did. Again, no guarantees, but I think there's a greater than 50% chance that it will.

-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 AM
RubiconSS

I did the 2.5 OME (came out closer to 2.75") I had/have vibes.
I did the TC drop - no help.
Balanced tires, DW Drive shaft, Adj CA's, nothing ever got rid of the vibes.

I now have 33's, Nth*TT, lots of Armor weight and the vibes never went away.

I think it has more to do with the fact that, our rigs ride atop springs - now mine rides atop springs that are higher and of a different spring rate than stock.
I have altered almost every stock Geometry on the jeep - the vibes just transfer into the passenger cabin unabated.
The vibes may have even been there before - I just feel them because nothing insulates me from them.

As far as my opinion goes - Mod a Jeep by doing everything I have done and some vibes are going to be part of the package.
I doubt that any Vendors will agree or publish that because it would negatively effect sales of aftermarket parts.

'05 Rubicon (to go) '01 CamaroSS(to go fast)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 AM
RafterTJ

OME 2.5 plus MML

No vibes.

RafterTJ- '98 TJ Sport 5 speed, OME 2.5" lift, JKS 1.25" BL, JKS MML, JKS Swaybar "Quicker" discos, 15x8 Cragar Steelies, 33x12.5 BFG A/Ts, Custom Front Bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.