thinking about a spray in bed liner for my tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > thinking about a spray in bed liner for my tj

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
2000TJMan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thinking about a spray in bed liner for my tj

im thinking about a spray in bed liner for my tj and was wondering about the pros and cons and mainly about after the carpet is gone is it loud or was the carpet not much of a sound deadner anyways

2000TJMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
GOTROX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have LineX in my TJ Tub.

Pros - Easy to Clean, tough, looks nice

Cons - Loud, Hot Feet (Heat from Tranny tunnel), if you install it without proper prep work, it can peel.

I WOULD do it again, probably sooner next time
GOTROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rhino Hardlined about three years and couldn't be happier with it. Practically bulletproof, super easy to clean, looks great. The only downside is the cost.
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The heat sucks in the summer, I covered mine with new carpet and padding to reduce the heat coming from the trans. tunnel.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
unbreakable
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine with Gatorguard and am very happy with it. It took a little prep time but it was better than paying LineX 700.00
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
ehron
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I really like not having carpet to worry about, but I will second the complaints on heat from the floor. Also, I suspect it is louder in the cab with no carpet, though I don't have a frame of reference for comparison.
ehron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
USAFRecon

Talk to Luckrider he works for Monsterliner

Jokin about him workin for them but I have heard some great things about Monsterliner.

PROS as said easy to clean, don't have to worry about staining carpet or getting wet so you can leave the top off all year round if you wanted

CONS gets hot as balls in the summer but thats why you take the top off
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
jshamis1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just sprayed mine with Hurculiner... very happy with results. It looks fantastic!
jshamis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did the U-pol stuff
Pros: lots of auto paint shops are starting to carry it around here at least, very easy to spray, has held up great i have abused the heck out of mine firewood metal toolboxes dragged in and out of the back. No problems. its cost effective.
Cons: Hot inside when in traffic on a summer day. Added a fair amount of road noise to my rig not a crazy amount.
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i ran no carpet for 2 years before i sprayed Herculiner on the inside of my tub. it does deaden the road sound compared to no carpet. i absolutely love it.

next time i would try the duplicolor truck armor. it has kevlar in it.
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Raptor here. Love it.....no fading, cleans out easy, goes on nice. It could be a bit tougher but I just touch it up whenever it gets dinged. My transmission must run cooler than most because I can touch any area after being on the highway for an hour with no problem.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
fduncan

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I put Monsterliner in mine this spring and I like it. I can't really tell a lot of difference in the noise or heat but I still have a piece of carpet in the back for my dog to lie on. One of the best things I've done to my Jeep.
fduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about ditching the carpet and going for a liner. What sort of prices should I expect? Also do these spray on, can I use a paint gun? I thought it would be a roll on application?
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
jshamis1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used Hurculiner that can be rolled on, but I borrowed an under coat gun and sprayed it on. The finished job after two coats was perfect everyone that has seen it loves it. I don't know how well it looks rolled on... The cost was $85 bucks for a gallon at Advanced Auto. You will need some painters tape, paper or plastic to cover what you don't want covered, and some Acetone or Xylene. All said and done I think I spent two days (one full day of prep.) and about $100 dollars. It was well worth it. I got caught with the top off Sunday in the rain. I just pulled the drain plugs and I was off! No wet smelly carpets! Good luck, prep is everything, take your time and do it right!
jshamis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, $100 is what I expected for a DIY, undercoat gun huh, have to look into that. Whats involved with prep? Mask off and a good wash? PS: Just check Ebay, they have an undercoat gun for $20... Thanks
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed liner , tj , wrangler , advice , help , pros , cons

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.