Things to check after accident - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Things to check after accident

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 06-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
waterlogged

Things to check after accident

Well just got rear ended by a mini van doing about 40-45 and I was at a dead stop. This slammed me into the car in front of me breaking the new lights I just put on a few weeks ago and turning in my front bumper. The rear bumper is bent down and the tail pipe was ripped out of the hanger and bent into the side of the RR shock. She lifted the back end of me off the ground while the front was sitting on the other car's trunk. No leaking fluids, engine sounds fine. Brakes are a little squeaky and there is a frequent hop in the back end while driving straight. Think she either bent the frame or the rear axle. Felt bad for the lady in front of me. My winch opened up her trunk like a can opener. Anything specific I should check?

waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is the insurance company involved? What year is your jeep? Unless it is almost new it may be totalled. (good time to buy it back and make a trail jeep out of it)
There could be all kind of troubles with it almost too many to list. Make sure you get the insurance company involved
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I'd be checking is the reputation of the shop that is going to do the work. Let them deal with it.

Good that it doesn't sound like anyone was hurt.

Good luck.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Ask around for a good shop because if you don't you'll find the little stuff that will forever piss you off. Also try the little guys that have a small outfit, they usually need the money worse than the bigger guys so they'll usually do a cheaper quote and usually better service.

Things to check yourself, transmission shifting normally, ac working, winch still works, cruise control, also if the check engine light is on that falls into that category.

Next, ask the guy doing the quote if he can get access to after market products so you can replace the tin can bumper with a real bumper and fog lights with kc's! You can also climb under it or park it on a hill and look at the frame your self. You looking for cracks, ripples, wavieness, any distortion or bending of any component and write it down in a note book....take pictures if you can, this way you know that the shop actually fixed the problem areas and didn't solely fix the cosmetics.

Good luck, get lots of quotes so you can find the best deal!
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
waterlogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54
Is the insurance company involved? What year is your jeep? Unless it is almost new it may be totalled. (good time to buy it back and make a trail jeep out of it)
There could be all kind of troubles with it almost too many to list. Make sure you get the insurance company involved
Yeah, their insurance company will be involved. It is a 2003. Shouldn't be totalled, just a lot of little stuff. My main worry is the frame and axle.
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
waterlogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
The only thing I'd be checking is the reputation of the shop that is going to do the work. Let them deal with it.

Good that it doesn't sound like anyone was hurt.

Good luck.
Ha ha. That's a good one. Reputable shop in Florida? It will be easier to find a ship wreck off the coast.
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
waterlogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii

Next, ask the guy doing the quote if he can get access to after market products so you can replace the tin can bumper with a real bumper and fog lights with kc's! You can also climb under it or park it on a hill and look at the frame your self. You looking for cracks, ripples, wavieness, any distortion or bending of any component and write it down in a note book....take pictures if you can, this way you know that the shop actually fixed the problem areas and didn't solely fix the cosmetics.
Time for Warn front and rear bumpers. Will have to check the frame this afternoon and see. Hopefully no damage but I highly doubt it. Thanks for the responses.
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged
Well just got rear ended by a mini van doing about 40-45 and I was at a dead stop. This slammed me into the car in front of me breaking the new lights I just put on a few weeks ago and turning in my front bumper. The rear bumper is bent down and the tail pipe was ripped out of the hanger and bent into the side of the RR shock. She lifted the back end of me off the ground while the front was sitting on the other car's trunk. No leaking fluids, engine sounds fine. Brakes are a little squeaky and there is a frequent hop in the back end while driving straight. Think she either bent the frame or the rear axle. Felt bad for the lady in front of me. My winch opened up her trunk like a can opener. Anything specific I should check?
Why are you driving it?
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
SlimJimJeep

I had a 2004 Wrangler that was totaled last year because I was rear-ended by a Suburban. I was stopped and the light had just changed. There were four cars in front of me. Luckily, they had started moving. I had just taken my foot off of the brake when the guy hit me. The guy was going so fast that the Suburban was not driveable from the scene. I'm glad the Jeep was totaled because I got a 2005 Wrangler with more options. But, my wife had to get 30 stitches because I had the hardtop on and it shattered the back glass. Main thing in your case is that you're okay.
SlimJimJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
azcoyote

Congrats on being OK. That is priority one.

I saw a 2000 that got nailed and was totalled even though I could have sworn there was not that much damage. It had the axle torn off at the control arms on the front passenger side and creasing in the tub. The owners buddy bought it from the insurance company for $2500 and did a salvage title and repair. Of course, he was an autobody guy...

Walk around the body an look for creases in the metal or seams that do not line up. That combined with the damage to frame and drivetrain will probably equal a totalled Jeep. That is my bet at least... Buy back and turn it into a trail Jeep or just take the money and start over...

Oh, and let everyone here know since someone might want dibs on the totalled Jeep for their own trail rig.

Cheers,
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
tctrjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check everything you can think of yourself.

Take it to a good shop that knows Jeeps (ask around at dealership, club, etc).

Our Project Jeep (1999 TJ Sahara) was broadsided in an intersection on Christmas Eve. The front axle housing was cracked, steering royally messed up, lots of body damage, Bushwacker Fender Flares destroyed, and some frame bending.

It was in the shop forever (got it back in Early Feb) , over $10,000 on the repairs and rental vehicle, and was covered by the other drivers insurance since he failed to yield.

Here in the Rocky Mountain states Jeeps tend to keep more of their value. It helped that we were Rhino-lined and decked out. Insurance would have covered up to about $16,000 before considering totalling it - that was State Farm.
tctrjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #12
MP Curtis

Hope the insurance guy says it's totaled so you can get a new one.
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Why are you driving it?
x2

Call the Lady's ins. co, file a claim and tell them you want a rental asap. If they ask if your vehicle is driveable just tell them "No." You should have a rental that day.

Generally they will total a vehicle if the damage is 75% or more of book value.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
dieseljeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged
.................. Anything specific I should check?
Yep, who she has insurance with. It makes a difference in how hard you get to fight with them. What year & mi of Jeep?

BTW from experience I've learned the dealer is the best place for accident repair usually. It's up to you whether your local Dodge dealer can handle it though. This is pretty much a fact, and you best be asking questions before you select the shop: Most shops think the "customer" is the insurance company in matters like this, since they get paid by them, NOT you.

Last edited by dieseljeep; 06-28-2006 at 02:24 PM..
dieseljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
dieseljeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimJeep
.... But, my wife had to get 30 stitches because I had the hardtop on and it shattered the back glass. .....
How did you manage to avoid all the glass?
dieseljeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.