Thermostat? - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-19-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
2001jeep4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thermostat?

My jeep is overheating at crawling speeds 5-10 minutes or so after it warms to operating temp. Found out in stop and crawl traffic. Idling it's not happening immediately either takes a lot longer and slowly creeps up. Always runs at 210 as long as i am moving fast enough. Not leaking a drop of coolant. I already replaced the fan clutch already didn't help. Should I swap them thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Racer-X
2006 WK 

That sounds more like possibly water pump? Did you replace the fan clutch and water pump together? They have very similar service life, and a failure in one can cause a failure in the other.

Also, how is the serpentine belt and tensioner?

A new thermostat is cheap, even a good one. If there's a Stant "Superstat" for your application, get that. It's worth the extra.
aeroshots likes this.

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why my position is correct.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

In addition to Racer-X's advice, make sure your radiator fins are not clogged with dirt or mud. If they are, flush the fins out with a hose. If you swap the thermostat, make sure it has the proper specified 195 degree rating. X2 on the advice for Stant's Superstat if you can find one. If you can't, they're on Amazon.com. Make sure NOT to install a "fail-safe" thermostat which likes to fail in the open position. So-called fail-safe thermostats are not fail-safe at all.
aeroshots likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-19-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
2001jeep4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just replaced the fan clutch when the problem started happening didn't replace water pump. 99.9% of the time it tries to overheat in crawl speed. Only time I can get it to over heat at idle is after it's been driven a while. I will try the thermostat today and see what that does
post #5 of 24 Old 08-19-2017, 08:51 AM
aeroshots
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to flush

Only addition to the excellent above posts is to flush, flush again, and do it again. Especially if you do not know the history of your Jeeps cooling system. Don't forget to open up the heater to full hot and get the fluid out of there too.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
Only addition to the excellent above posts is to flush, flush again, and do it again. Especially if you do not know the history of your Jeeps cooling system. Don't forget to open up the heater to full hot and get the fluid out of there too.
Fluid is always running through the heater core no matter the control setting.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
2001jeep4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well it was staying around 210 creeped to 215 and flew to 260 I can hear the coolant boiling... So what's next waterpump?
post #8 of 24 Old 08-21-2017, 02:13 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

replace your cap. Get a 18 LB cap.

Had similar symptoms all of a sudden in traffic 2 weeks ago. Replaced Cap and no issues whatsoever now. My cap wasn't pressurizing
Racer-X likes this.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #9 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
2001jeep4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I will try the cap
post #10 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Racer-X
2006 WK 

I've used AC-Delco caps on Chevies and GMCs before.

They are decent caps. I'd trust it or a few years of good service.

No pressure cap lasts forever. They all start getting weak after a couple years, and become totally useless after about 5 years. I treat them as maintenance items, and replace the cap about as frequently as I replace the stock, paper air filter (or clean and oil the oiled media [K&N] filter, if equipped) on ours.

That's one of only 3 parts I'll just "throw" at a car with symptoms of needing it. They are cheap, easily replaced, have a limited service life, should be replaced regularly and are not really worth diagnosing. If you're wondering, the other two parts I'll just "throw" at something without full diagnostics are a fuel filter and a thermostat.

post #11 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The fuel filter in the TJ are supposed to last the life of the vehicle...
post #12 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 PM
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
I've used AC-Delco caps on Chevies and GMCs before.

They are decent caps. I'd trust it or a few years of good service.

No pressure cap lasts forever. They all start getting weak after a couple years, and become totally useless after about 5 years. I treat them as maintenance items, and replace the cap about as frequently as I replace the stock, paper air filter (or clean and oil the oiled media [K&N] filter, if equipped) on ours.

That's one of only 3 parts I'll just "throw" at a car with symptoms of needing it. They are cheap, easily replaced, have a limited service life, should be replaced regularly and are not really worth diagnosing. If you're wondering, the other two parts I'll just "throw" at something without full diagnostics are a fuel filter and a thermostat.

The fuel filter is in the fuel tank and is almost never a problem in these vehicles. Throwing a fuel filter in requires dropping the gas tank. There are a lot more diagnostic avenues significantly easier to do than "throwing a fuel filter" at it.

A lot of folks replace the radiator cap when they replace the radiator whether it was showing signs of fatigue or not. It's not often they fail at a higher frequency than the radiator itself, which typically lasts 150k miles or more. I've put 265k miles on my 2.5 liter and have only replaced the radiator cap once, and I did it because it just seemed like the thing to do, not because it was explicitly failing. My '06 has the original cap in it and it has 133k miles.

While they are cheap and also easy to replace, they seldom fail and when they do the symptoms are clear.

BTW - boiling coolant is one of those very clear signs.

Just my experience.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 AM
Racer-X
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The fuel filter in the TJ are supposed to last the life of the vehicle...
Personally, I prefer my vehicles to last longer than the useful life of a fuel filter. Some manufacturers (Jeep included) obviously disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
The fuel filter is in the fuel tank and is almost never a problem in these vehicles. Throwing a fuel filter in requires dropping the gas tank. There are a lot more diagnostic avenues significantly easier to do than "throwing a fuel filter" at it.

A lot of folks replace the radiator cap when they replace the radiator whether it was showing signs of fatigue or not. It's not often they fail at a higher frequency than the radiator itself, which typically lasts 150k miles or more. I've put 265k miles on my 2.5 liter and have only replaced the radiator cap once, and I did it because it just seemed like the thing to do, not because it was explicitly failing. My '06 has the original cap in it and it has 133k miles.

While they are cheap and also easy to replace, they seldom fail and when they do the symptoms are clear.

BTW - boiling coolant is one of those very clear signs.

Just my experience.
Get off the fuel filter, folks. If it's not obvious, I only "throw a fuel filter" at something 1) that is showing some symptoms of needing one and 2) where it's an easy toss, not dropping the tank. I don't work exclusively on Jeeps. Heck, Jeeps are in the minority in my own "fleet" or "collection". Most of my cars are designed to last longer than the life of a single fuel filter. For those that aren't (like the Jeep and a Dodge Minivan we had for 10 years or so), I keep them up enough that I'll deal with that faulty design when I have to, after a full diagnosis.

On the radiator cap. Yes, boiling coolant is very definitely a sign of a failed/failing pressure cap.

I summarily replace radiator caps every 30,000 miles. I'm probably in the minority on that, and perhaps it's a bit OCD on my part. When I was growing up, our "family vacations" were traveling all over the USA in a travel trailer (camper), pulled behind a car (a large-ish sedan, later a station wagon). We had more vacation days ruined by a weak radiator cap and/or a sticky thermostat (and getting ripped off by repair shops mis-diagnosing that and doing much more expensive repair work that often didn't fix the problem).

By the time I was 12 or 13 years old, I started just buying a new radiator cap (from my paper route money or lawn mowing money) and putting it on the car before we left. Dad eventually caught on that we weren't having the overheating and buying expensive parts and repairs on the road instead of going to Disney world, and he picked up on both the radiator cap and the thermostat as part of "preparation for vacation towing the trailer."

post #14 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

From the FSM:
Both fuel filters (at bottom of fuel pump module

and within fuel pressure regulator) are designed for

extended service. They do not require normal scheduled

maintenance. Filters should only be replaced if

a diagnostic procedure indicates to do so.

post #15 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 05:19 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say we give the fuel filter a pass. Yes, people speaking from other vehicle"s perspective can be confusing here, but I think all clarified now. Let's move on.
Racer-X likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.