teraflex vs rubicon express - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > teraflex vs rubicon express

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
darius28z
1998 TJ Wrangler 

teraflex vs rubicon express

i just bought my first jeep 98 tj 4 banger auto ive wanted one for a long time . it has 79800 miles on it, one owner and stock for the most part all tho its already talller then most wranglers ive seen stock im not sure if the older gentleman i bought it from put one of those rubber budget kits on. the tires currentley are 30's . ive been going to all the local 4x shops in my area for 3 inch lift kit prices and tires. i want to run 31's bfg all terrains . it seems im kinda stuck as to witch kit to go with. one shop swears by the teraflex 3.5 flex it will cost me 1300 installed including shocks and about 1000 for the tires and rims,2300 total. the other shop a chain brand 4 wheel parts said that kit was crap the bushings were crap and wear out fast he suggested the rubicon express kit 3.5 flex he said it was much better and it does seem to include a few more parts the other one doesnt they also said in this price ill get the allighnment and tire coverage . tires and rims 1000 pretty much the same kit installed 1700 overall 2700 out the door. ive told both im just interested in intermediate trails so no serious stuff but i live in colorado and there are some lakes to fish that require upgraded suvs both said these kits will get it done while maintaining my stock type of ride and providing me with lots of fun. what do yall think and anyone with pics with similar set ups with that tire size would be great thanks for ur help.

darius28z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
VikesTJman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had my TJ stock with 31's and still accomplished what many upgraded SUV's were doin. You gotta remember, it's a wrangler. It's a different breed. You don't need a lift more than likely where you're goin. I'm from MN so i know about the lake thing and landings and trails. PO very well could have just put a small budget boost on, and that would do just fine. If you want a lift, i would actually go with Teraflex. RE has had some bad readings with bushings. Although they are a good brand altogether. I would still go with Teraflex. To be completely honest: Every company has taken a hit from the economy, and has began using more filling in their bushings to offset cost. It's more about What company is producing more lemons at the time. Hard to tell between those two. My build link has my stock BFG's i had on there. I got through so much stuff i didn't think i would. You have a 4 banger, but it's auto. Low miles, and all you need is a little more of a heavy foot to get what the 4L gets. You don't need a lift for 31's. You have all the clearance you need with no rub. If you get a lift, You might as well spend an extra 40 bucks or so and get 32.5's with the lift. That's all BFG's cost for that much more. BFG AT's are what you are looking for too. Great offroad, and same on road, and last for freakin ever. So if you get a lift, long arm keeps a good ride. With the 3" lift, short arm should be almost as good. You don't need new wheels either. All you need is that 5x4.5 bolt pattern, unless you are looking for a new style and they got it.

My Jeep Build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...13/index3.html
VikesTJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
darius28z
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ty this helps a bunch im reading and learning as much as i can before i start dropping the cash.
darius28z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
VikesTJman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would get more from other people too. Much better from some people that have actually put these lifts on before i would spend that kinda pretty penny. No problem!

My Jeep Build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...13/index3.html
VikesTJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you choose neither?

Teraflex has had quite a few problems and RE had the recent bushings problems.

Are you planning on doing an SYE, rear driveshaft, and adjustable upper control arms in the rear? Or are you going to drop the transfer case?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OME is a much better kit IMHO.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
limeking
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am running a 3 teraflex basic kit with JKS lower control arms, front track bar and disconnects, and Bilstein 5100 shocks, no problems and I love the ride.

Jeremy : )
2004 Lime Rubicon, NV3550, JKS arms, and trackbars, UCF tummy tuck, LoPro and engine skid, 3 in tera springs 33 KM2s
1994 Red Wrangler, 2.5 in lift, 31 in no names, 4.0 ax15 30/35
limeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the TF 3.5 with short arms and other the crappy procomp shocks that I have I love it!! Flexes like a beast and I got it used so all sagging should be done!! I think its actually a 4 incher as they dont make a 3.5 but I dunno if they did before and stopped. Either way mines great and the joints in the arms are all good, plus for 350 bucks I couldnt say no...
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The shops you are talking with are setting you up to screw you. You do not need that much lift with 31" tires. In fact it will look very odd with that small of tires on that big of lift. If you do have a Budget Boost you can run the 31" tires you want to run just fine. That will only cost you the price of the tires and maybe wheels if you need more backspacing.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you look in everyones profiles that posted above that are running a 3" lift kit, they are also running 33" tires. The rubicon comes from the factory with no lift an 31" tires also.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard good things about the terflex springs.

I am currently running the RE 3.5" longarm. I had the 4.5" shortarm a year ago, then dropped to 3.5" springs a month ago, and long arms a week ago

I only had bushing issues in 4 of my 8 control arms. But RE sent me replacements (that I never installed cause I went LA)

The RE kit rides pretty good. The springs are a bit stiff (made for a heavy Jeep) But overall, pretty happy with my decision.

If I did it again, I'd go currie or clayton.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.