TeraFlex TJ Wrangler Shift Linkage Adapter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TeraFlex TJ Wrangler Shift Linkage Adapter

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
skouklis
2006 LJ Wrangler 

TeraFlex TJ Wrangler Shift Linkage Adapter

After looking at a couple of linkage adapter to fix my popping out of 4 low I decided on the TaraFlex linkage adapter. I picked it up for around $80 bucks at 4 wheel parts. I got it home took it out of the box and thought it looks pretty beeffie. I started pulling my old linkage out and installing the new one. It said you might have to cut the new adjuster link to fit so I measured and saw that it was a rely short distance for the point that it attaches to the lever and the pivot point like 4 inches center to center so I had to cut it down to fit I thought. after cutting it down I installed it and it shifted from 4 low to for high the in to 2 then I tried to shift it back into 4 hi and it would not shift. It was binding up the lever pivot point was pointed down and when I tried to shift it would not spin to the front. After spending about 4+ hours trying to make it work. I got ahold of a fellow jeep foum friend and he sent me a pic of his and said he did not cut anything off his adjuster and looked like the linkage from the transfer case was on the drive line side Mine was on the transfer case side IDK why.

So i called my brother in law over and decided that the linkage between the transfer case and the pivot point was to long and the now the adjuster was to short so we busted out the welder and add a bolt to fix the adjuster and shortened the transfer case and reversed the end at the pivot point and this fixed it

So in the 06 is the shifter linkage different then older models?

skouklis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouklis View Post
After looking at a couple of linkage adapter to fix my popping out of 4 low I decided on the TaraFlex linkage adapter. I picked it up for around $80 bucks at 4 wheel parts. I got it home took it out of the box and thought it looks pretty beeffie. I started pulling my old linkage out and installing the new one. It said you might have to cut the new adjuster link to fit so I measured and saw that it was a rely short distance for the point that it attaches to the lever and the pivot point like 4 inches center to center so I had to cut it down to fit I thought. after cutting it down I installed it and it shifted from 4 low to for high the in to 2 then I tried to shift it back into 4 hi and it would not shift. It was binding up the lever pivot point was pointed down and when I tried to shift it would not spin to the front. After spending about 4+ hours trying to make it work. I got ahold of a fellow jeep foum friend and he sent me a pic of his and said he did not cut anything off his adjuster and looked like the linkage from the transfer case was on the drive line side Mine was on the transfer case side IDK why.

So i called my brother in law over and decided that the linkage between the transfer case and the pivot point was to long and the now the adjuster was to short so we busted out the welder and add a bolt to fix the adjuster and shortened the transfer case and reversed the end at the pivot point and this fixed it

So in the 06 is the shifter linkage different then older models?
I got Tera linkage adapter working on my 06. I did cut down the adjuster linkage a little, but nothing else.
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
skouklis
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I called TeraFlex today and talked to Ben the tech / designer of this product he said that jeep has 3 diffurent linkages and told and only one of them works. he gave me the jeep part #52078603 (30+ dollars from dealer) for the correct one. I told them that for 80 bucks they should include the right one or at least put that into the spec that not all jeep linkage will work. They are sending me a new turnbuckle because I cut mine way to short now that I shortened the transfer case linkage.
skouklis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had to cut mine way down also. I also shortened the factory link that you reuse. So far the Terraflex set up has been ok. Much better then stock. That being said I can't wait to get the Novak cable shifter I just ordered from Savvy.
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not to bring this thread back from the dead but after four years of having the same exact problem as skouklis I found another solution. At first I thought it was my fault and I just couldn't get it adjusted. But after playing with it today I used the stock upper linkage (the one that is adjustable on the stock setup with the set screw) instead of the one that Teraflex recommends you use. It is around 3 inches shorter. This enabled me to get a working shifter again. I am so relieved now...I dont have to crawl under and shift anymore. I wish Id have found this thread sooner.

And I just found this adjustable rod which is tera's solution i guess: http://www.teraflex.biz/tj-transfer-...rod.html#first
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Or just get the Advanced Adaptor one which bolts right up and doesn't require any cutting.... Or even better get a Novak but at $180 it's too rich for my blood.
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

but for those of use who already have that much invested in a shifter that is not very good. If the cable shifters had been out a few years back I wouldnt have hesitated on it. But by fixing this issue i just saved myself that much more money.
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
teraflex , tj , wrangler , linkage , adapter , 4lo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.