Teraflex or Savvy/Currie? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Teraflex or Savvy/Currie?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #31
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Yep.

Too many inept shops that couldn't install the axle brackets correctly... IMO
To expand on that a bit, it's not just an issue of putting the brackets on correctly, it is that to put them on correctly it takes a lot of work and redesign of the whole suspension bracketry except for the frame side.

Shock and trackbar solutions in the front are problematic and in the rear, it makes it very difficult to outboard shocks.

I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.

Unread 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
To expand on that a bit, it's not just an issue of putting the brackets on correctly, it is that to put them on correctly it takes a lot of work and redesign of the whole suspension bracketry except for the frame side.

Shock and trackbar solutions in the front are problematic and in the rear, it makes it very difficult to outboard shocks.

I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.
This is true, I'm still glad that I got the setup...
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
bmw91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And to stay on track, since I'll be on the road 90% of the time, is there any disadvantage to have JJs on both ends. I heard the whole road noise thing can be a slight issue.
bmw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw91 View Post
And to stay on track, since I'll be on the road 90% of the time, is there any disadvantage to have JJs on both ends. I heard the whole road noise thing can be a slight issue.
if you have any road noise, it will be minimal and a small price to pay for a superior product.
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #35
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The increase in road noise is not perceivable. It's not like you're dealing with metal on metal.....there is a bushing element that takes care of noise, vibration, and harshness. You'll notice the handling improvement and tight, responsive feel over anything else.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any increase in road noise wouldn't/shouldn't be noticed. Even non aggressive all terrain tires, or even just wind noise is loud enough that you wouldn't/shouldn't hear your control arms at any time unless they're damaged somehow.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #37
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
None whatsoever...
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #38
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No way. In fact, it's difficult if not impossible to make the Johnny Joints bind up at all on the road. The range of motion is really smooth, more so than the factory/Clevite bushings. They're what should have come on our Tj's from the factory...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #39
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck
Simply put if you want the best arms for your rig for ALL driving conditions both on and off road, you want JJs at both ends, period. That crap about clevite riding better is just that-pure internet BS and common myth/misconception by those who don't know any better and ASSume rubber is softer so it rides better. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Heims fail quickly under use in mud/water where the grit gets in there. I would not want heims on control arms. I'm actually sick of the heims in my front and rear anti-rocks too but no other real option there.

JJs offer the best isolation and free range of movement of any joint out there. They last under all conditions and I've yet to either wear one out myself, or see one truly worn out under normal use and maintenance. If you do wear one out they are totally rebuildable for about $9.00 roughly speaking. You don't want to go crazy with the grease gun as doing so can blow the snap ring so don't go forcing it where it doesn't want to be. Light greasing every now and then is all they need. I have well over 50K on my current set and they're still tight as the day they were installed. Nothing eliminated the front end vibe/wobble I had other than the JJs in the front upper housing kit. On road ride was better than with factory arms with the famed clevite at both ends, off road was worlds better. They isolate the axles better and allow the suspension to work as it should while allowing maximum flex at the same time.

Simple answer for a factory mount setup-Savvy/Currie arms no question about it.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Well put. Mainly about rubber bushing giving a better ride.
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
bmw91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone and hopefully this is my last question. One of the guys at the shop also mentioned that Tera has some of the thickest arms and can take a beating. It's about a half inch difference from what I understand, and aren't there more jam nuts that can loosen up with the Savvy arms? I would buy both Savvy and Tera if I could. I'm just on the fence because of everything I'm hearing. Yes more people are talking about Savvy and I'm finding tons of great reviews on them, but from the very few things I found on Tera, people seem to love them too. Also with the Tera arms, the shop always has bushings in stock if I need to rebuild one. I just want to
bmw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #41
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks everyone and hopefully this is my last question. One of the guys at the shop also mentioned that Tera has some of the thickest arms and can take a beating. It's about a half inch difference from what I understand, and aren't there more jam nuts that can loosen up with the Savvy arms? I would buy both Savvy and Tera if I could. I'm just on the fence because of everything I'm hearing. Yes more people are talking about Savvy and I'm finding tons of great reviews on them, but from the very few things I found on Tera, people seem to love them too. Also with the Tera arms, the shop always has bushings in stock if I need to rebuild one. I just want to
Clayton make some nice short arms too.
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #42
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you look in your jeeps owners manual....if you have one, it says you need to regularly check for loose fasteners periodically....it is no different with aftermarket components.

You must preform inspections/maintenance on your Jeep to keep it in good running order.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #43
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw91
The Teraflex arms are beefy but unnecessarily so. I've yet to see a Currie arm tacod'. Their joint is also not as good a Johnny Joint.
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgrip View Post
After ripping CA mount's off the frame with Terra's older CA's I went to a complete set of Currie's. No problems for 5+ yrs with D60,s and 37 Mtrs.
Same here, I had Tera's, tore one mount off, cracked the other. No comparison with the Currie/Savvy arms, springs and track bars that replaced them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Do it once and do it right.
So true, my Jeep has had four different lifts on it over seven years, I would've saved a ton of money and grief if I had gone Currie from day one.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #45
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
That crap about clevite riding better is just that-pure internet BS and common myth/misconception by those who don't know any better and ASSume rubber is softer so it rides better. Couldn't be further from the truth.
Amen. I wish there was a way to squash that rumor once and for all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.