TeraFlex or RE and State Laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TeraFlex or RE and State Laws

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-11-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
elmo510
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TeraFlex or RE and State Laws

i have been looking around and have narrowed my choices down to the Teraflex 3" super lift or the RE 3.5" super flex kit. what i am really wanting to do is put on some 33x12.5 tires for some weekend wheeling. i have heard some bad stories about the teraflex control arms so would i be better off getting the basic lift and buying a diffrent brand control arm. would i need the sye kit for either of these lifts? Also i live in the state of VA and i believe the law for lifts with jeeps is the bumper can't be higher than 23", would these lifts with a 33 tire put me over this. and does anyone have pics of these lifts with 33 tires.

Thanks

elmo510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo510
i have been looking around and have narrowed my choices down to the Teraflex 3" super lift or the RE 3.5" super flex kit. what i am really wanting to do is put on some 33x12.5 tires for some weekend wheeling. i have heard some bad stories about the teraflex control arms so would i be better off getting the basic lift and buying a diffrent brand control arm. would i need the sye kit for either of these lifts? Also i live in the state of VA and i believe the law for lifts with jeeps is the bumper can't be higher than 23", would these lifts with a 33 tire put me over this. and does anyone have pics of these lifts with 33 tires.

Thanks
- Regarding the lift law, check and be sure, don't rely on "I believe...."..
It would be a shame to spend money on something that you can't install.

- Regarding the bumper height with those two lifts and 33" tires:
* First, take 1/2 the diameter of your existing tires subtracted from the 33's. For instance, if you're running 30's now you'll use 1 1/2" -> (33 - 30) = 3 3/2 = 1 1/2"
* Next, if you're looking at the RE3.5" lift, and the above tire measurement to 4.5" ~ 5.0". If you're looking at the Tera lift, use 3.5", added to the tire measurement from above
* Lastly, measure your existing bumper height and add that number to it, and you'll have your new bumper height.

You don't need either of those two lifts to run 33's, nor would you need new control arms. The OME lift with a small spacer (3/4" ~ 1") lift plus a 1" ~ 1 1/4" bl will handle 33's, and provide a ton of flex, while maintaining a probable better than stock on and off road ride.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
doorocks
Web Wheeler

I know it's not 23 inches. Stock Full sized pickups are that high. Va. is right around the 30" mark. Probably a little less.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
elmo510
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In VA there are two diffrent catagories one for trucks and one for passanger vechicles which jeeps fall under, so for some reason it is higher for trucks
elmo510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
kizer

Found this a while back.

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...lift-laws.html
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
rkutzner

In MD I called the state highway safety office and the very helpful officer pointed me to the IN PRINT ONLINE Maryland COMAR Regulations. In MD Jeeps are listed and tagged as 'multiuse' vehicles along with trucks. Bumper height 26". Full tire covered. Regulations of the size and type of wood required for wood bumpers (hehehe....really...)

I'm at 24.5-25" with my RE 4.5 LA , 35" MTRs, and winch. The officer in MD said all they really are concerned about is people using reputable lift companies and not 'designing' their own.

But get it in print.

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
gabemerrill

just got mine inspected in Hampton Va... I've got 7 inches of lift and 36 inch tires (with stock flares) and they didn't say anthing at all about it.

HTH - Gabe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.