Teraflex Long Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Teraflex Long Arm

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 02-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
GPERSCREEPERS99

Teraflex Long Arm

I was wondering if anyone has this? I am trying to figure out how it works with lower long arms and Short Upper arms? I also noticed that Skyjacker has a long arm kit that does this as well.

I am not looking for opinions of people who don't have it I want real world opinions of people who own this upgrade. Thanks

I am also not intrested in buying this I am just curious.

12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have an old style Teraflex long arm kit. I found it used off a show Jeep (it had never been off road, and barely on road) at an amazing price. I have the adjustable upper control arms. It works very well. I installed it, and I installed my friends RE longarm kit on his Jeep at home. I like the way the RE is setup a little better, but my Jeep flexes as well, as my friends on the trail, and better on the RTI ramp. On road it drives better then his Jeep. It drives a bit better then stock (I drove it stock for a couple of years, then with a bb for a few years after that). I have read a lot of bad things online about the Teraflex lifts, but having had one on my daily driver for a few years both on and off road I have seen absolutely no problems.

Not all of my suspension is from Teraflex. I use a RE front adjustable track bar because after snapping the bolt on the Currie trackbar I wanted to change to the RE that moves the bolt to a horizontal position and hinges for better flexing. I also use RE shocks (which are actually made by Edelbrock). I use JKS quick disconects, because I like them better then the Teraflex ones.

I grease the bushings once every month or two. I also plan on going to a 4 link rear eventually.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I dont have either long arm. I did have the skyjacker short arm double flex. and it sucked.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
GPERSCREEPERS99

Thanks for your replies. I have always wondered and decided I would ask it just always seemed odd to me that you still used short arms up top and long arms for the lowers.
Unread 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Paradiddle

Ummm - the short arms connect to the long arm in the majority of long arm kits out there - they do not connect to the frame. I believe they call it a radius arm design.

Sure the tera isn't the same?

That said I wouldn't touch anything Tera with a 10 foot turd.
Paradiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
RockPirate

I am pretty sure he is talking about this kit. It retains your short uppers and switches your lowers to long arm.

-----------------------------------
RockPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
GPERSCREEPERS99

That would be correct Bryan. Everyone else got it except for paradiddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Ummm - the short arms connect to the long arm in the majority of long arm kits out there - they do not connect to the frame. I believe they call it a radius arm design.
Sure the tera isn't the same?
That said I wouldn't touch anything Tera with a 10 foot turd.
Unread 02-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
NH Rudi

I have a 4" TeraFlex Long arm with their short upper arms. It works great for me on and off road. I have not had any TereFlex component failures. I've been running it now 38,000 miles. I would not hesitate to purchase another TereFlex suspension system.
Warn Bumpers
NH Rudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
bluejeep00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i got a three inch teraflex system short arm but i want to go to the long arm, mines been on for five or sixs years and i love it and havent had a problem and id recomend teraflex
33 12.50 15 turxes mt's on 15 by 10 steel rims
cut fenders tuffy overhead cb no backseat
looking for any cheap parts
bluejeep00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The issue Paradiddle has with Tera wasn't born out of a vacuum. There are a number of us early TJ owners that flocked to Tera when the TJ was still new. At that time, Tera was pretty much the only game in town for a while.

In my small circle of SOCAL TJ owners that ran Tera's control arms, we all had problems in one form or another. The problem with Tera's arms don't readily occur unless you REALLY wheel your rig in tough terrain. For those of us who did wheel our Tera stuff in tough terrain, pretty much all of us locals had our control arm brackets ripped away from the axles. Why? Because Tera's control arm design, primarily from having just used bushings at both ends, creates enormous stress where the control arms are welded to the axles. In my case, I had two control arm brackets torn away from the axle tubes at two different times. Once I trashed the Tera double-bushing control arms, no more torn control arm brackets or welds. Tera's latest upgraded design for their short arms gets rid of the dual bushing design that causes so many problems for those who wheel their rigs hard.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Paradiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPERSCREEPERS99
That would be correct Bryan. Everyone else got it except for paradiddle.
Only Teraflex would sell that. Jeez...no wonder you guys don't like it.
Paradiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have all Currie brackets on my axles with weld on skid plates on my lower brackets. Maybe that is why I have never had any problems.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.