TeraFlex LA upgrade mod question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TeraFlex LA upgrade mod question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
EMTJEEP91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TeraFlex LA upgrade mod question

My friend is thinking of taking my old Tera LA kit that came on my jeep and making his own lift. It is just the 4 lowers and the skid plate/mounting rails. He wants to know if he could just use the mounting rails and maybe redo the existing arms with some newer joints like JJ's or Duroflexs. And then he wants to run longer uppers so that he doesn't have to run short arms and have a chance of busting them. I don't know if he can make a 4 link in the rear and 3 link in the front off of this. I know he can't adjust the lower frame mounts since they are prefabbed, so that is the problem I see with it. Is this possible?

EMTJEEP91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah keep lowers and add mc joints and run longer uppers with a 3 link front with poly, artec or ballistic link brackets... Good idea to recycle those parts... The arms are beef.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's a POS setup.....

Why don't you go check the threaded shank size and determine for yourself what else can be swapped in.

As for the uppers, can he weld and fabricate new mounts and does he understand enough about link suspension to put them in the right spot? If so, you're good to go. If not, you're not.

It's that simple. You can answer all of your questions with a little time under your Jeep.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
EMTJEEP91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's a POS setup.....

Why don't you go check the threaded shank size and determine for yourself what else can be swapped in.

As for the uppers, can he weld and fabricate new mounts and does he understand enough about link suspension to put them in the right spot? If so, you're good to go. If not, you're not.

It's that simple. You can answer all of your questions with a little time under your Jeep.
I know the kit is a POS. I hated it on my jeep for the couple weeks I had it on. He was thinking of just using the mounts itself and not really that interested in reusing the arms. They are the old style bushing arms anyways. He had a thought about cutting them off and re-welding new joint ends to them. I told that may not be the route to go even the they are stout arms.

He can weld and fab fine. I would probably end up helping him if he does go through this and I'm confident in my suspension knowledge so far. But I'm always reading up on it.

I just didn't know for sure if he could use the frame rails that came with that kit.
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sure, I don't see why not. The upper mounts are the problem....fix that and the suspension should perform much better. Don't bother with the existing arms.....just get some tube and build some new ones. Honestly, if the only thing you're keeping is the TF lower mounts, then just ditch the whole thing for a few hundred bucks and put that money toward new, better mounts and parts to build links.
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
EMTJEEP91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've been trying to sell it for a while now and haven't had any luck. Since then my friend asked if he could pick it up and use the kit. I tried to get him to go with my setup or similar but he has his sights on this for some reason. I'll try to get it through him that you can make it all new for relatively cheap.

But I guess I will have to go and make up a setup with him based off of the TF mounts for now. Until he realizes that it won't be worth it and just start from scratch.
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
EMTJEEP91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So the front arms are bent for clearance. Does that mean we have to bend the new arms too?
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP91 View Post
So the front arms are bent for clearance. Does that mean we have to bend the new arms too?
You tell me. Why are they bent? Will your new setup retain that reason or will you change it?

Again, you can answer your own questions better than we can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.