Ten TJ Steering Upgrades compared - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ten TJ Steering Upgrades compared

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Reply
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 14,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
I think that was the point he was making. I trailer mine, almost always when going off-roading be it competitions or trail riding
I'm curious what competitions you've been participating in? Would give me some context to your opinions and the performance of your vehicle.

__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #32
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
Lol. Didn't read the article yet, but I take it Currie/Savvy weren't at the top of the list?
So I'm chatting with a local high performance radiator builder who I've been bothering to supply a reasonably cost effective all aluminum TJ radiator that is bolt in with a higher level of performance than OEM at roughly the same price point or slightly higher.

Then I broached the subject of doing one with a direct bolt on electric fan conversion so I could put this issue of folks thinking I have something against electric fans to bed once and for all.

It didn't go as well as I had hoped. He asked if I was high, insane, loony, or some combination thereof and wanted to know if I was aware of how hot it gets here in the summer? When I replied in the affirmative that I did know because I only live about 10 miles from his shop, he told me to stick with the mechanical because nothing will move as much air as it will.

He then made some comment to the effect that electrics work where it doesn't matter and when it does, they don't.

His words, not mine.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,111
local stuff, mostly people who like wheeling and don't believe it takes a $50k rig to wheel in (wheeling, not racing, they are very different), lots of classes from full size to mod to buggy. Just a lot of Jeep and 4x4 people who like to wheel who get together once a year and have a very friendly contest.

this video is from 2 years ago (I finished 2nd behind TNT Customs XJ that year in my class)-
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 14,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
So I'm chatting with a local high performance radiator builder who I've been bothering to supply a reasonably cost effective all aluminum TJ radiator that is bolt in with a higher level of performance than OEM at roughly the same price point or slightly higher.
CBR?? I'm at 135k with the "crappy" OEM radiator and have been wondering when I'll need a repalcement. Sign me up!!!
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
DivineKaos
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posts: 506
I think its pretty free game to look a gift horse in the mouth when its not a gift, and is spreading misinformation.

Your right, its free. Unfortunately for you, you posted in a public manner, in which case you are 100% deserving of our responses.

I could also jump off a bridge for free, and I'd hope Imped would talk me out of it while Jerry and Blaine are trying to figure out the best way to make me do as many somersaults as possible on my way down.
__________________
"A man has to know two things in life, limitations and priorities. You let your priorities get in the way of your limitations." - MrBlaine
DivineKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineKaos View Post
Blaine are trying to figure out the best way to make me do as many somersaults as possible on my way down.
As long as you're on a good line....
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #37
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

So I'm chatting with a local high performance radiator builder who I've been bothering to supply a reasonably cost effective all aluminum TJ radiator that is bolt in with a higher level of performance than OEM at roughly the same price point or slightly higher.

Then I broached the subject of doing one with a direct bolt on electric fan conversion so I could put this issue of folks thinking I have something against electric fans to bed once and for all.

It didn't go as well as I had hoped. He asked if I was high, insane, loony, or some combination thereof and wanted to know if I was aware of how hot it gets here in the summer? When I replied in the affirmative that I did know because I only live about 10 miles from his shop, he told me to stick with the mechanical because nothing will move as much air as it will.

He then made some comment to the effect that electrics work where it doesn't matter and when it does, they don't.

His words, not mine.
Well that's certainly a strange little non-sequitor. It really seems to stick in your craw that I know the secrets to making eFan work well on a TJ in 118* heat.
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #38
KaiserJeep
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Off topic, but I don't completely understand your point with this.

Does anyone hate to ride in or drive their Jeep? Why would someone own something they hate?

I don't know anyone who tows their Jeep because they hate to drive it.

I know plenty who tow their Jeep because their tow vehicle offers more cargo space, seating, comfort, etc.

You said it yourself, Jeep is general purpose. Why use general purpose to go across the country if you have the ability to use something more specialized for the trip? I don't think that makes you a fool at all.

Or maybe I'm missing your point entirely?


Yes please!
If your intent all along was to own a superb, high performance off-road machine, then why would you not buy a tube-frame chassis and build that? You could equal the trail performance of an extremely modified Jeep at half the cost. It would be even cheaper after you sold the Jeep and applied that money to your hobby.

If you wanted to tow an off-road machine across several states, would it be more practical to own a tow vehicle and trailer that carries a 5000+ lb Extreme Jeep, or a below-2000lb tube-frame?

My point was, that for most things in life, there is "enough" and then there is "over the top". There are lots of people who take a Jeep "Over-the-Top" when it comes to mods, then can't stop themselves.

One extreme case I know of is a nearly 70-year-old man, who had 3 wives but never was happily married. He has no less than three Jeep hulks behind his house, all of which were so far from what a Jeep is supposed to be that he could not sell them when he got tired of wrenching on them. Now they are carcasses, picked over for parts to build his latest dream. He has 8 foot fences to keep the neighbors fro realizing he has a Jeep graveyard.

He is a regular on this Forum. He used to be my mentor at work, I know of what I speak. He lost his balance in life IMHO.
__________________
Gary
1967 Kaiser Commando
2001 Grand Cherokee WJ
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post

Secondly, you have come back for a second time and confirmed that you really did intend to complain about something you got FOR FREE. You have also confirmed your bad manners and bad judgement for attempting to blame ME for the content of an online article written by somebody else, and by continuing to complain about something you never paid for.
Lots of things are free, doesn't mean they're perfect and beyond scrutiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post
If your intent all along was to own a superb, high performance off-road machine, then why would you not buy a tube-frame chassis and build that? You could equal the trail performance of an extremely modified Jeep at half the cost. It would be even cheaper after you sold the Jeep and applied that money to your hobby.

If you wanted to tow an off-road machine across several states, would it be more practical to own a tow vehicle and trailer that carries a 5000+ lb Extreme Jeep, or a below-2000lb tube-frame?

My point was, that for most things in life, there is "enough" and then there is "over the top". There are lots of people who take a Jeep "Over-the-Top" when it comes to mods, then can't stop themselves.

One extreme case I know of is a nearly 70-year-old man, who had 3 wives but never was happily married. He has no less than three Jeep hulks behind his house, all of which were so far from what a Jeep is supposed to be that he could not sell them when he got tired of wrenching on them. Now they are carcasses, picked over for parts to build his latest dream. He has 8 foot fences to keep the neighbors fro realizing he has a Jeep graveyard.

He is a regular on this Forum. He used to be my mentor at work, I know of what I speak. He lost his balance in life IMHO.
Not sure why any of that bothers you. People are free to spend their money however foolish they wish. If someone likes Jeeps and wants to spend a ton of money building it however they wish, they're free to do so. Not sure why there is anything wrong with that.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #40
TroubleNEO
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amherst, OH
Posts: 1,254
The best part is all the pointless pictures with the silly and often pointless captions under them. This is about what I would expect out of a JP article with Randy in it.

__________________
Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
TroubleNEO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #41
tuckerjt
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 54
I have two main issues with your misinformation that I have not seen questioned yet. A Jeep cannot be built to be high performance? Better not tell that to the guys at Savvy or Poison Spyder. Also a tube buggy can be built for half of a comparable Jeep? In what world do you live?
tuckerjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #42
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerjt View Post
Also a tube buggy can be built for half of a comparable Jeep? In what world do you live?
What he is talking about that's very true, you can, we are talking about mods, so. . . A guy buys a Jeep, he lifts it, does the SYE, then an 8.8, then a 60 up front and a 60 or 14 in back, then an atlasII and a 5.7 hemi or 4.3 vortec, then it's all custom linked and air shocks or coilovers, comp cut, stretched, armored up, at that point, you would have been way way cheaper to build a tube frame instead, or buy one, CL and KSL and e-bay often has buggy frames. When all thats left of the Jeep you bought is what is now a $8000 - $15000 tub and frame, you would have been better off just building the buggy instead.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #43
tuckerjt
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post

What he is talking about that's very true, you can, we are talking about mods, so. . . A guy buys a Jeep, he lifts it, does the SYE, then an 8.8, then a 60 up front and a 60 or 14 in back, then an atlasII and a 5.7 hemi or 4.3 vortec, then it's all custom linked and air shocks or coilovers, comp cut, stretched, armored up, at that point, you would have been way way cheaper to build a tube frame instead, or buy one, CL and KSL and e-bay often has buggy frames. When all thats left of the Jeep you bought is what is now a $8000 - $15000 tub and frame, you would have been better off just building the buggy instead of
Maybe so, however, I am confident that a comparable buggy could be built for less than half. More expensive, probably, but not a hundred percent more. Way cheaper is a misnomer here. The cost of the frame/vehicle becomes a small percentage of the total cost in a build such as the one you outlined.

Edit: Also, if you are doing engine and driveline swaps, I know of three clean, relatively rust free, straight, rolling TJ frames and bodies for three thousand or less.
tuckerjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #44
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerjt View Post
Edit: Also, if you are doing engine and driveline swaps, I know of three clean, relatively rust free, straight, rolling TJ frames and bodies for three thousand or less.
http://www.rockware.net/rover2.html - Rock Ware RockRR Bare Chassis $2800

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...buggy-kit.html - older thread, $950 chassis

A little more, $4400 but still half the price of a TJ and it's an Artec, good fab shop - http://www.artecindustries.com/Ultra...sis_p_281.html


Ibex "Goat built" tube chassis, $2299 - http://goatbuilt.com/ibex-2-seat-chassis/

For sale in Dec, $2900 - http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=252261

That's 5 I found in under 5 minutes without knowing where to look.

The point was, and is, it's cheaper to build a buggy than to buy a TJ (not just a frame and tub) and build a truggy.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
tuckerjt
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post

http://www.rockware.net/rover2.html - Rock Ware RockRR Bare Chassis $2800

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...buggy-kit.html - older thread, $950 chassis

A little more, $4400 but still have the price of a TJ and Artec, good fab shop - http://www.artecindustries.com/Ultra...sis_p_281.html

Ibex "Goat built" tube chassis, $2299 - http://goatbuilt.com/ibex-2-seat-chassis/

For sale in Dec, $2900 - http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=252261
Very good, you manged to beat my price on a chassis by about two thousand in one instance, and match it in every other instance. Face it, you can build a similarly capable Jeep for less than double what a tube buggy would cost.
tuckerjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.