Temp/Compass Mirror Hiccup? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Temp/Compass Mirror Hiccup?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
ironpony

Temp/Compass Mirror Hiccup?

Ok, I'm a noob, and have owned my 2005 Wrangler Sport for about a week. It's a Flame Red dual top, Dana 44 w/ a Six Speed. This rig has cruise, and the "convienence" Group, which includes the snazzy auto dimming mirror. Here's the question.

Why does the Temp Compass function work perfectly at night, and not at all during the day? During the day it is black, no data. The LED map lights on the mirror also only work at night. Now it seems stupid to me that Jeep thinks I only need to know which direction I'm headed at midnight, and it's of no importance at noon. I've monkeyed with the dash light dimmer, headlights off/on, repeatedly and randomly punched it's buttons. God forbid I even read the damn owners manual. Nothing but how to "recalibrate" the compass. It seems the photo cell controlling the auto dim feature cuts all power to the mirror during the day.

So is this how they all are? Or am I proving to be the Noob I am?

Thanks for the help guys.

ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
5150Jeep

I would take it to a dealer
5150Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a write-up from another user on this board who installed the compass mirror on his own. Maybe something in that link can help you. Otherwise, take it back to the dealer... that's what the warranty is for.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine works all the time. I would take it in. (don't mees with it they might blame it on you)
Unread 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
btolle

I have the auto dimming mirror and the digits are brighter during the day. In fact, when I back out of my garage the photocell switches and the digits get brighter. Sounds like you have a defective photocell in the mirror which should be covered under warranty.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty
04 Kubota 4WDTractor
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
ironpony

Sweet, my mirror is officially dead...

It seems to be an intermittent problem, since I've noticed it on and off sporatically. Timing was fooling me, since it appeared to function at night, and not in the day. It's obviously not getting any power now, and all fuses check out fine. Off to the Jeep Dealership it is.

I bought my red six speed dual top '05 Sport with a dana 44 used with 2200 miles on it from a reputable Ford dealership. It was traded in on an '06 Explorer as the previous owners just found it too small. I saved about $6000 off buying a new one from Jeep. And it still smells new, and that's close enough for me. It's fully loaded with all the goodies except Nav or Sirius. That, and it already has a nice proximity alarm and snazzy aluminum pedals. I thought it was a sweet deal even if red was low on my color list.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm sure I'll seek you all out again soon!
ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.