JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Temp/Compass Mirror Hiccup? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/temp-compass-mirror-hiccup-209040/)

ironpony 11-09-2005 06:46 PM

Temp/Compass Mirror Hiccup?

Ok, I'm a noob, and have owned my 2005 Wrangler Sport for about a week. It's a Flame Red dual top, Dana 44 w/ a Six Speed. This rig has cruise, and the "convienence" Group, which includes the snazzy auto dimming mirror. Here's the question.

Why does the Temp Compass function work perfectly at night, and not at all during the day? During the day it is black, no data. The LED map lights on the mirror also only work at night. Now it seems stupid to me that Jeep thinks I only need to know which direction I'm headed at midnight, and it's of no importance at noon. I've monkeyed with the dash light dimmer, headlights off/on, repeatedly and randomly punched it's buttons. God forbid I even read the damn owners manual. Nothing but how to "recalibrate" the compass. It seems the photo cell controlling the auto dim feature cuts all power to the mirror during the day.

So is this how they all are? Or am I proving to be the Noob I am? :drool:

Thanks for the help guys.

5150Jeep 11-09-2005 06:56 PM

I would take it to a dealer :thumbsup:

Rocky529 11-09-2005 06:59 PM

Here is a write-up from another user on this board who installed the compass mirror on his own. Maybe something in that link can help you. Otherwise, take it back to the dealer... that's what the warranty is for. :wave:

bfr 11-09-2005 07:54 PM

Mine works all the time. I would take it in. (don't mees with it they might blame it on you)

btolle 11-09-2005 08:55 PM

I have the auto dimming mirror and the digits are brighter during the day. In fact, when I back out of my garage the photocell switches and the digits get brighter. Sounds like you have a defective photocell in the mirror which should be covered under warranty.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty
04 Kubota 4WDTractor

ironpony 11-10-2005 12:49 AM

Sweet, my mirror is officially dead...

It seems to be an intermittent problem, since I've noticed it on and off sporatically. Timing was fooling me, since it appeared to function at night, and not in the day. It's obviously not getting any power now, and all fuses check out fine. Off to the Jeep Dealership it is.

I bought my red six speed dual top '05 Sport with a dana 44 used with 2200 miles on it from a reputable Ford dealership. It was traded in on an '06 Explorer as the previous owners just found it too small. I saved about $6000 off buying a new one from Jeep. And it still smells new, and that's close enough for me. It's fully loaded with all the goodies except Nav or Sirius. That, and it already has a nice proximity alarm and snazzy aluminum pedals. I thought it was a sweet deal even if red was low on my color list.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm sure I'll seek you all out again soon!

The time now is 02:20 AM.