TB whistle, see ya. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TB whistle, see ya.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TB whistle, see ya.

Well I ordered a 62mm throttle body and was talking to the guy about the dreaded whistle with what I have now. He said that the gasket is usually the cause of the problem. So this morning I went out and pulled it apart. Sure enough my gasket had been sticking out into the throttle body by about a 1/16 to1/8 of an inch. Now I do have a Helix spacer on, but that gasket was back far enough to not cause a problem. So after putting everything back together, it was time to test it out. What do you know it actually worked. If I really listen, I can here yet a faint PFFT sound. I do have a K&N intake on it, and you can still here the vacuum sucking sound from that. But the whistle I was getting around 2,300-2,400 RPM is gone.

Here's a pic of where I cut.

Don't know if this will help anyone else out, but it helped out in my case.

Metzgerhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

cool, i've got a spacer and a 62mm TB waiting to be installed. have you run the 62mm w/o the spacer? does the spacer do anything?

also what gasket do you use? my spacer came with some, but they look crappy. any ideas?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
cool, i've got a spacer and a 62mm TB waiting to be installed. have you run the 62mm w/o the spacer? does the spacer do anything?

also what gasket do you use? my spacer came with some, but they look crappy. any ideas?
I do not have the 62mm yet(just ordered), I am still running the stock TB with spacer. As far as the spacer doing anything, that is noticable no. But when you look under the hood it looks nice.

I used the gasket that came with the Helix spacer. And the one that I cut was probably still the factory one on the throttle body.
Metzgerhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
lyon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Used the search engine. Once again another 5 year old thread. Anyway, I figured I'd revive this incase anyone had any other ideas in the past few years on what the problem might be. I tried this method on my bored tb with no luck. Same annoying whistle. I've ground down every sharp edge, sealed everything on the tb and no progress. I knew I should have kept everything stock.
lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can you even tell that TB makes a difference?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
lyon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It has very little better throttle response. That's about all they do. Oh, they whistle too. I noticed that I had a little smoother idle too, but I probably would have gotten that if I had cleaned my old one. I found lots of people claiming how great they were so I didn't even bother with my old one, I just got a bored one. Biggest PITA. All it likes to do is whistle. I'm currently looking for a stock one to put back on and melt down the one that's bored out.
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

TB spacers do NOTHING....sorry

It's a jeep not a sports car.

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyon View Post
It has very little better throttle response. That's about all they do. Oh, they whistle too. I noticed that I had a little smoother idle too, but I probably would have gotten that if I had cleaned my old one. I found lots of people claiming how great they were so I didn't even bother with my old one, I just got a bored one. Biggest PITA. All it likes to do is whistle. I'm currently looking for a stock one to put back on and melt down the one that's bored out.
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzgerhund View Post
If I really listen, I can here yet a faint PFFT sound. I do have a K&N intake on it, and you can still here the vacuum sucking sound from that.
That "PFFT" sounds is mostly from the dust bouncing down the intake right after it clears the K&N filter.

On a more serious note, lose the K&N filter or at a minimum, put one or more pre-filters on it to keep the dust/dirt out of your engine.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
That "PFFT" sounds is mostly from the dust bouncing down the intake right after it clears the K&N filter.

On a more serious note, lose the K&N filter or at a minimum, put one or more pre-filters on it to keep the dust/dirt out of your engine.
What!!? You mean those K&N filters you can see the sun through dont filter well!?
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
lyon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.