A tale of loss and woe. Or, Tintable UPOL Raptor writeup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A tale of loss and woe. Or, Tintable UPOL Raptor writeup

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A tale of loss and woe. Or, Tintable UPOL Raptor writeup

I suppose I could go on, sharing my pain with you all. I could talk about how long we had been together, all the things we'd been through. I remember her first project like it was yesterday. The sounds, the smells, Oh how tragic is life.

But I know you lot. I know you don't really care. Oh, you'd let on like it mattered to you for a while, but in the end, you woudn't really care about the pain and agony of the final moments of life of my beloved air compressor. You would want to know about the Satin Beige Mettalic tinted UPol Raptor liner she gave her last breath for.

Ok. I'll ablige. But as you read this and look on the pics, remember the one who gave the ultimate sacrifice that my tub could be Satin Beige Mettalic.

Fortunately she is dead and gone and will never know that a hot, new, young model was puffing away in her place before her tank was even drained...

Moving on.

I started by tacking down the unistrut seat risers. When you unbolt the seat, they become a pain in the butt. They are permanent now.

At some point, something punctured through the rear passenger fender and right into the tub!

in

out (or in, depending on how you look at it)

I filled that with silicone and beat it down a bit and sprayed right over it.

The tub I did the standard sand/scuff it down. Wire wheel on the rust, mask it off, ear plugs and rolled up paper towels in the boltholes.

I had already purchased the Satin Beige Mettalic (2008 GM Truck color, if you are wondering). Mixing is easy. Heres the stuff.

Don't crank down the quick connect on the gun or it will crack. Like this.

It worked fine, just leaked air right there and, with the latex gloves on, spraying left handed sounded like a herd of munchkins at a farting convention.

As you can see there is a measuring cup, for which the wife will never forgive me. You need to have a ten percent color base in your mix. It's a 1000ml bottle so that gives you 100ml of base, or about a half a cup. I went a little heavy on mine. Measure out a half cup of base and pour it in, fill it to the ring in the bottle with activator, cap it and shake it like it knows how to boo-gie. I timed it at about five minutes of shaking it. It seemed to mix it well so I'm going to go with that.

One bottle

Two bottle

Three bottle

At this time my compressor gave a last wheeze of death rattle and settled into the sweet here-after. Call Pop, Get a ride to Tractor Supply, buy 'nuther, back in bid'nes.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

your a funny mofo! great job.

-2006 Impact Orange LJ-

THE HARDEST THING ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK WOULD BE PRENTENDING NOT TO BE EXCITED
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The fourth bottle was good for touching up misses and going back over the spots that were too light. I had just enough. Sprayed the ammo can with my strap and jumper cables and stuff too.

Here's the finished product with some Krylon Fusion thrown in for good measure

Sunday I put on the RC 3.25 and tires. Top gets here Monday. I'm all a-twitter

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
JMayer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

R.I.P. Looks good, though. She didn't die in vain.
JMayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Pmort
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That makes me want to do mine!
Pmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
alecmcmahon

lol, i cracked my gun in the same spot when i tightend the fitting down.
Unread 07-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Ben in NC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great job-I painted mine last year and it is holding up perfect. It sure made me feel great when it was finished and looked as good as rhino/line-x and cost about $400 less.

If your on the fence about doing this-go for it. Once you have the seats out and prepped you have it licked-the actual painting dummy proof unless you get it on something you shouldn't have.....
Ben in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

poor air compressor...

but it turned out really well, i'm hoping to doing this in the next couple of weeks
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You're Jeep has a gunshot wound.Nice job on that liner.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
frontlinedude
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice write up, looks good, let us know how it holds up.
35"x13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T
Herculined
frontlinedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prryan45 View Post
You're Jeep has a gunshot wound.Nice job on that liner.
It sure looks like it! Musta been a sniper in the ditch and a really unhappy bloke in the back seat!

tales from the bard side
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
scavanau
2000 TJ Wrangler 

...I'll be damned, uni-strut for seat risers. Great idea. Cheap, and tougher than nails.

Out of curiosity, which side was the entry on the mystery hole?
scavanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
...I'll be damned, uni-strut for seat risers. Great idea. Cheap, and tougher than nails.

Out of curiosity, which side was the entry on the mystery hole?
Passenger rear wheel well.

tales from the bard side
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
scavanau
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Entry, as in did something enter from the outside, or did something exit from the inside?
scavanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #15
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Entry, as in did something enter from the outside, or did something exit from the inside?
Something came in from the outside and poke-de-hole in the tub. The steel was folded into the interior of the Jeep and a little dimple was raised. Looks like somebody slid into a bit of rebar or something. It's too messy to be a bullethole.

tales from the bard side
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.