tailgate latch problem. (i have searched) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tailgate latch problem. (i have searched)

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

tailgate latch problem. (i have searched)

I have a problem with the latch mechanism on the tailgate. the jaws that wrap around the pin to secure the tailgate, only one works. The bottom one works just fine as it will wrap all the way around the pin and when i release the tailgate, it goes all the way back. the upper pin does not. it wraps all the way around the pin but it only releases halfway. (see picture). you know how the tailgate will latch with one click and then you slam it and it will latch all the way? i think the upper latch is just releasing to that first click, not enough for the tailgate to be released. i can hit the upper jaw back to its place but when i close the gate and go to open it again, it does the same thing. any thoughts? thanks

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Looks kinda gummy in there. Spray the innards really well with WD-40 and work the latch a few times.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Roye77
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Looks kinda gummy in there. Spray the innards really well with WD-40 and work the latch a few times.
Ya thats about the best you can do with a latch problem. Clean it with some WD and then grease the heck out of it, if that doesn't work usually the best bet is to replace it.
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Replace it.
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Synapse
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My latch mouth wasn't catching. I wrapped some electrical tape on the bar/hinge a couple of times and it solved my problem, and the rattling. Making the bar bigger fixed it. The tape wears out after a while so I have to replace it ever so often.
Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i ended up greasing it up and opening and closing it a bunch of times. seemed to work itself out. if i still run into problems, ill try the electrical tape because that makes sense.
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jaw , latch , pin , problem , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.