Tailgate Bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tailgate Bolts

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tailgate Bolts

Ok so I got 2 of the 4 out. The other 2 the torx stripped and i need to drill them out i guess. Any recommendations on how to do this? Oil my drill bit to keep the heat down? And is there any way around not retreading...i dont have a thread kit yet...any recommendations on that?

inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

drill a hole in the bolt then weld a L-shaped piece of metal in it and twist to loosen it out. saw some guy do that on a tailgate thread where he made it fold down

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydog78 View Post
drill a hole in the bolt then weld a L-shaped piece of metal in it and twist to loosen it out. saw some guy do that on a tailgate thread where he made it fold down
no welder grrr
Unread 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just drill the head off...the head will literally pop off once you've gone far enough. Do this to all of them and take the hinge off and then grab the stud with a pair of pliers (actually your fingers can usually do this) and just spin them out.

Works every time. Just use a sharp bit and use plenty of oil. I believe you need a 5/16th bit (been awhile since I've done this)

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Just drill the head off...the head will literally pop off once you've gone far enough. Do this to all of them and take the hinge off and then grab the stud with a pair of pliers (actually your fingers can usually do this) and just spin them out.

Works every time. Just use a sharp bit and use plenty of oil. I believe you need a 5/16th bit (been awhile since I've done this)
thanks apex ill try after dinner!
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got it off wow, it took like 30 min of drilling on each bolt. Now the nuts no longer exist behind. I want add a beefier back panel and some grade 8 nuts All I can say is torx suck after that experience, If you want to do a flush mount bolt or screw used allen!!!! The second pic is taken from behind my rear passenger wheel looking up at where i would mount the tail gate nuts. there is no room on the lower 2 and I dont even think I can get to the far bolt hole*so much stuff in the way for my big hands).grrrr, any ideas?
imag0067.jpg   imag0068.jpg  
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i'm having the same issues, I'll work on it tomorrow. Does anyone know the bolt/thread size to re-install the tailgate?
tjsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my back support for my upper 2 bolts of the tailgate just bent when i tried to remove the bolt with vice grips...i had already drilled the head off
image_069.jpg  

Tags
tailgate , bolt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.