tail light wiring diagram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tail light wiring diagram

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Collegegeezer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

tail light wiring diagram

Hi everyone,

Just brought my new (to me) 99 TJ home and was fixing a few things for safety. I did the front brakes which went smoothly and have started on the little things. One of which is the drivers side tail light doesnt work. it lights up fine when the brake is applied but is a no go with the lights on.

I figured it was a simple bulb, however, when I took the tail light cover off I noticed a brand new bulb. I swapped the bulb anyway and still nothing.

I have noticed that the PO installed a trailer brake extension and he hacked into the wires just inside the tailgate. I noticed that coming out of the light bulb are a purple wire, a black and (yellow i think) and a green.

anyway im hoping that it is as simple as cutting the trailer harness out and reconnecting the wires.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
john

Collegegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegegeezer View Post
im hoping that it is as simple as cutting the trailer harness out and reconnecting the wires.
john
thats what i would look at. see if he screwed anything up.
colorado jeep club member #730

stimulating the economy one part at a time!
basssolow5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
revoffroad
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it's not wired correctly that can cause your problem. I had a problem like that when I hooked up a ghetto wiring harness to my jeep. Had to take it off and get one that just clips inbetween your tailights stock connectors.
revoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

All I can say is your better off tracing back to the factory wires and working from there.

I recently had to rewire the tail lights on a 76 Bronco, It was a mess, On the Passenger side I had to cut back all the way to the center of the vehicle and wire all the back to the tail light, The PO had used so many quick connectors that all the wire was green through out and half the connections were wrong or didnt work.

Wiring is like swimming, if you cant swim STAY OUT OF THE POOL
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Collegegeezer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i figured i might as well cut the harness out and reconnect the wires. Lucky for me, the wires before and after the harness are stock so i can just match color. I picked up a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubes. Unlucky for me, the PO has left me about 1/4" of wire after the harness!!!

does anyone have a schematic that tells me what color wire is what?

Thanks again everyone!!!
john
Unread 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

go to http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se...uals/index.htm and you can view the factory service manual online. use the drop down boxes to select TJ, 99, Wiring diagrams and go to page 131/236 which is where the rear lighting section starts. See page 6/236 for wire colour codes if needed.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
DowneastTodd
1998 TJ Wrangler 

check for poor ground..which should be on the inside of the read corners of the body tub.
DowneastTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Collegegeezer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm almost certain it is a crappy ground. I am having issues such as my right turn signal is blinking really fast which would make you think a bulb is out but they are all working. My driver side tails also glow very dimly.

When i took the cover off the lens, the bolts are so rusty I have to drill them off so that said, its not hard to imagine that the ground has rotten off. I should be going outside to have a go at it today. Ill post back with some results.
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
BraedenAl
1994 XJ Cherokee 

My 94 jeep cherokee

so my dad has recently let me inherit his 94 cherokee. Well im having troubles with the right tail light. I've checked the bulb and its good. I Checked the fuses and evverthing is good. i have new sockets and wiring all the way up to the plug in above the right rear tire and it still doesn't work, some suggestions would be nice?
BraedenAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.