T&R Performance big brake kit - works with RCVs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > T&R Performance big brake kit - works with RCVs

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJ

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

T&R Performance big brake kit - works with RCVs

http://www.tandrperformance.com/trbigbrkitfo.html

Anyone heard of these guys? I was waiting for a Vanco kit with a new knuckle, but with no real production dates being thrown around, this has me interested.

Maybe Blaine can tell us about any advantages of a Vanco kit over this one, or let us know of the plans with a Vanco kit. I've read post from others that said Vanco will never make a kit to work with RCVs, then I've heard that they might be working on something. I know Blaine has been pestered with this for some time, but now that there is a competitive kit on the market it would be nice to know if Vanco is going to offer a RCV compatible kit or not. And isn't this the same caliper that was offered on a prior Vanco kit? Thought I read that somewhere, maybe I'm crazy.

I have never ran the EBC greenstuff pads or rotors, but do have BM pads and Centric rotors, which I am happy with. Wonder how this kit would perform as compared to my stock setup with BM parts? If it was a kit that was put together well, with a quality knuckle, and performed better than anything I can get with my stock calipers it may be worth a try.

speed-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am curious too. I have friend who is building a Cherokee tow rig; he wants do so it like I did mine and he definitely needs a BBK.

I used the greens on my wrangler BBK and liked them a lot.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed-racer View Post
http://www.tandrperformance.com/trbigbrkitfo.html

Anyone heard of these guys? I was waiting for a Vanco kit with a new knuckle, but with no real production dates being thrown around, this has me interested.
We are working with the foundry right now, their schedule isn't under our control.

Quote:
Maybe Blaine can tell us about any advantages of a Vanco kit over this one, or let us know of the plans with a Vanco kit. I've read post from others that said Vanco will never make a kit to work with RCVs, then I've heard that they might be working on something. I know Blaine has been pestered with this for some time, but now that there is a competitive kit on the market it would be nice to know if Vanco is going to offer a RCV compatible kit or not. And isn't this the same caliper that was offered on a prior Vanco kit? Thought I read that somewhere, maybe I'm crazy.
The first thing is the greens will never perform as well as our pad. That has been proven time and time again. He'd be much better off with a Yellow offering.

The new knuckle will work with the RCV stuff with no issue. That said, we won't quit doing the adapter style for several reasons, the most important of which is the ability to upgrade from a 15 to a 16 to a 17" kit by simply swapping brackets, calipers, and rotors, or in some cases, just the rotor and bracket.

That also gives us the ability to offer a 15" kit which if you pay attention is missing from our competitors.

As far as the caliper, it is the same or very similar to the one we use on the 15 and 16" kits, but it is not robust or powerful enough to use on the 17" version. We built and tested a couple of 17" kits with a 13" rotor and the performance for the dollar spent just wasn't there in my opinion so we went to the larger 54mm dual piston caliper. That's also the same size caliper we use on the Very Large JK kit.

We went to that after building and testing a version of the JK kit that moves the OEM caliper out to use a bigger rotor. We put that on several rigs and although it outperformed the Tera kit, it just wasn't confidence inspiring.

Quote:
I have never ran the EBC greenstuff pads or rotors, but do have BM pads and Centric rotors, which I am happy with. Wonder how this kit would perform as compared to my stock setup with BM parts? If it was a kit that was put together well, with a quality knuckle, and performed better than anything I can get with my stock calipers it may be worth a try.
It should work better than stock even with the greens and from what I've seen, the knuckle is quality so no heartburn there.

For the record, in the last 7-8 years the Vanco kit has been in use which is well over a 1000 kits, the requests to be RCV compatible are about 1 per hundred kits sold. It seems a lot more due to them being a very vocal minority, but that's the reality of it.
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We are working with the foundry right now, their schedule isn't under our control.
Even a guestimate? 1 month, 6 months, year, not even in the near future?

Quote:

The first thing is the greens will never perform as well as our pad. That has been proven time and time again. He'd be much better off with a Yellow offering.
Do know that caliper and have a pad that would fit it?

Quote:

The new knuckle will work with the RCV stuff with no issue. That said, we won't quit doing the adapter style for several reasons, the most important of which is the ability to upgrade from a 15 to a 16 to a 17" kit by simply swapping brackets, calipers, and rotors, or in some cases, just the rotor and bracket.
I like the bracket for its flexibility, so long as it allows me to run my RCV axles. I have 15" wheels for now and would be stuck with the 15" kit, but who knows what wheels I will have a year from know.

Quote:

For the record, in the last 7-8 years the Vanco kit has been in use which is well over a 1000 kits, the requests to be RCV compatible are about 1 per hundred kits sold. It seems a lot more due to them being a very vocal minority, but that's the reality of it.
Understood. I also understand that you aren't working on a new knuckle to please the RCV crowd, but that it solves a supply problem for you. Either way, i just want a BBK that works with my axles.

Also, a question concerning your 16" kit. I have read a few times that it will work with some 15" wheels, as long as the shape of the wheels allow it. I have Hutchinson Rock Monster 15" wheels with 3.63" backspacing. If you're familiar with it, you see that it is a two piece wheel with the inner piece being totally flat up to the beadlock flange. Any clue if the 16" kit would work with these? I'm not opposed to a small spacer if needed.

If you aren't sure, would it be possible to buy a 16" kit when the new knuckles are ready and return it for a 15" kit if they don't fit, assuming I cover shipping?
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A reasonable picture of the inner piece of the wheel. Stole it from the JeepForum, hope nobody minds.

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do know that caliper and have a pad that would fit it?

Quote:
I like the bracket for its flexibility, so long as it allows me to run my RCV axles. I have 15" wheels for now and would be stuck with the 15" kit, but who knows what wheels I will have a year from know.
The bracket will never let you run the RCV stuff since the bracket will always use two of the knuckle bolts.

Quote:
Understood. I also understand that you aren't working on a new knuckle to please the RCV crowd, but that it solves a supply problem for you. Either way, i just want a BBK that works with my axles.
We've needed one for awhile, it just takes longer than I think it should.

Quote:
Also, a question concerning your 16" kit. I have read a few times that it will work with some 15" wheels, as long as the shape of the wheels allow it. I have Hutchinson Rock Monster 15" wheels with 3.63" backspacing. If you're familiar with it, you see that it is a two piece wheel with the inner piece being totally flat up to the beadlock flange. Any clue if the 16" kit would work with these? I'm not opposed to a small spacer if needed.
Check with that feller who drives on the wrong side. He has the Hutchinsons IIRC and the BBK. If there is a 1/2" or so on the outside of the caliper body at the closest point, they will clear if he has the 15" kit.

Quote:
If you aren't sure, would it be possible to buy a 16" kit when the new knuckles are ready and return it for a 15" kit if they don't fit, assuming I cover shipping?
Of course, we do that all the time. We've sent out many 16" kits with that option.
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fyi, NotURMailman is the feller Blaine is referring to in the post above.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

Expected. Oh well, I tried.
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Expected. Oh well, I tried.
There are several calipers with that look that have 48mm pistons. If you'd like to get them to tell you the industry pad shape which examples of would be 652 for front Ford Explorer, 833 for front Ford Sport Trac and some F-150's and all TJ's use a 477, then we will know if we have something that fits.
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
trpr4mance
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Our kits are also available with EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk HPS pads if the customer so desires, we have found that the Greenstuff is a great combination of long lasting street use and agressive offroad use. The Yellowstuff and HPS pads add more stopping power just do not last as long, so pad changing intervals will be increased. We have great inventory levels on our 15" kits and 17" kits (17" kit works with many aftermarket 16" wheels also, or factory Rubicon wheels with 1 1/2" spacers) and have been selling really good. We just released a new kit that utilizes a 12.25" rotor with aluminum hat and 4 piston Wilwood aluminum calipers, this kit has amazing stopping power; will lock up 37" with very little trouble. Will be on the website very soon. All our kits use the same USA made knuckle (just specific caliper mounting brackets for each kit) so upgrading to any of our current kits or future kits will be no problem at all.
trpr4mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What is the pad shape number for the 48mm calipers on your 15" kit.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijp4fun View Post
what is the pad shape number for the 48mm calipers on your 15" kit.
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was hoping to get a responce from trpr4mance, to see if the blackmagic pads fit in his calipers.
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijp4fun View Post
I was hoping to get a responce from trpr4mance, to see if the blackmagic pads fit in his calipers.
You might want to try some other form of contacting him. I doubt he'll be back to JF any time soon.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Roger that. He did post yesterday at 4:30 however.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.