T-case rear outpust shaft snap ring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > T-case rear outpust shaft snap ring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

T-case rear output shaft snap ring

I am in the middle of replacing my NP231J rear output shaft seal. I got the seal back on but the snap ring that goes against the seal is as far back as I can get it but has not yet found the groove & will not lock.

As this is my only vehicle & I have to go to work in several hours, I am kinda screwed unless I get this handled.

I sure would appreciate ideas.

1998 TJ Sport 4.0L

MLaborde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

this might not help but i don't remember a snap ring being on the out side of the seal

edit to say the lock ring should be up against the bearing not the seal
please correct me if i'm wrong as this is important to know
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmecha View Post
this might not help but i don't remember a snap ring being on the out side of the seal

edit to say the lock ring should be up against the bearing not the seal
please correct me if i'm wrong as this is important to know
There is a lock ring behind the seal also. It is in front of the bearing. I had to get this ring off to get the old seal off. The FSM shows this ring & discusses getting it off but doesn't mention anything about on the installation.
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

aww i never rebuilt the np231 back to stock. may just need to seat the seal better.
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
todd8888

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried to pull out on the shaft to see if it pushed in a little? Just a thought.
todd8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd8888 View Post
Have you tried to pull out on the shaft to see if it pushed in a little? Just a thought.
It won't slide.

Well, it looks like I've gone & screwed it up. I lightly tapped & tapped with a screwdriver & hammer until I got it where I thought it was seated. I guess I tore the seal. I started it up & revved it some & now it's leaking worse than with the old seal.

Is this darn ring even necessary since the FSM doesn't mention putting it back on?
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have done this recently on a t case I sold off. What todd said is right, there is a little play.... very little. You have to be gentle. At least you get another try
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I have done this recently on a t case I sold off. What todd said is right, there is a little play.... very little. You have to be gentle. At least you get another try
On my way to get another one now. Gotta drive 30 mins each way so if anyone else has ideas, my day is not done yet & I'm still looking for help.
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
BTW, how did you get the ring back on?
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got the new one, got it on, put the snap ring on with a new set of snap ring pliers I bought. Started it up & when I got underneath, the ring was spinning. I shut it down & popped the ring once more & watched it seat perfectly. But the damage was done already. It's leaking badly.

While spinning, the ring had sheared off a TINY TINY sliver of the rubber part of the seal. It was such a tiny piece that I can't imagine that it matters.

I guess I get to take it to a shop and let it sit over the weekend. I'm already $84 in the hole...

I'd try once more if I thought I had a foolproof method. I'm getting pretty quick at this.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.