Symptoms of a bad rear axle shaft bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Symptoms of a bad rear axle shaft bearing?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Symptoms of a bad rear axle shaft bearing?

I've been chasing a 65mph vibration for what seems like years. I've got it down to a minor annoyance ratehr than a undrivable nightmare. I've done everything from changing tires to rebuilding both driveshafts. The only standard thing I haven't done is try to have the driveshafts rebalanced.

When I was changing out my rear discs and pads yesterday I noticed that I get a sort of rumbling sound coming from the right hand rear axle shaft about where the outer bearing is. It only seems to happen when the right wheel goes in reverse.

My question is, what would the symptoms be if this bearing went bad? Could this be the culprit in my vibration woes?

I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Constant howl/growl. Does the shafts spin true?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Seemed to. There was no noticable wobble when I was turning it.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
browning
2007 KJ Liberty 

i just changed my rear right side axle shaft bearing ,bearing retainer and seal ..my bearing was bad and i could see oil all over my tire and brake shield ..look under your jeep if u see oil you have a bad bearing or a BENT axle shaft like me ..i had to change my axle shaft and everything is good now ..

ps. no way will the oil seal hold back the diff. oil if the bearing is shot ..

Last edited by browning; 07-17-2010 at 02:20 PM..
browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

COuldn't the oil simply be the sign of a bad seal, whether it is caused by a bad bearing or not?
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
browning
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
COuldn't the oil simply be the sign of a bad seal, whether it is caused by a bad bearing or not?
to change the seal ..the bearing retainer has to be removed with the bearing .before you get to the oil seal ...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the exact same symptoms. I installed a Dana 44 axle. I started will all new seals and bearings. The right rear axle seal leaks and I have a growl that is most noticeable at 65mph.

I suppose it could have been a defective bearing. It was only in for a week or so before I noticed the leak. I noticed the growl at 65 after a few days. I haven't got it fixed yet. I'm waiting on a new retainer plate and I'll replace everything.

How can you tell if your axle is bent? I don't see anything noticeable.
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not wanting to take any chances I ordered a replacement shaft. I didn't see anything obvious.

I ordered the shaft through Q-tec. It was backordered so I've been running for about about three weeks without giving the axle/bearing much attention. Previously each time I noticed a leak I would remove it and try to tighten it. This time I've let it continue to leak.

Today, I noticed a very slight squeal. It goes away when the Jeep is under load and comes back while coasting. It stops completely when the Jeep is stopped. As I approach a stop light you can hear it clearly. While coasting and with the transmission in neutral, it seems just a little louder.

Any chance this is a symptom of a bad axle bearing?

I plan to change everything tomorrow. Hopefully the high speed rumble and squeal go away.
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the new Alloy USA shaft today. The axle requires threaded wheel studs. The shoulder for the retaining ring is sharp so there was a little trouble getting that on. I checked the retaining plate to make sure it was flat. I reinstalled and the rumble at 65 was still there. Hopefully the axle will stop leaking and I can start checking other things.

I suppose if the axle doesn't stop leaking I'll have to replace the housing. Ugh.

Tags
axle , bearing , rear , shaft

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.