SYE Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE Install

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

SYE Install

Brown Santa delivered my SYE today and my adjustable upper control arms should be here by the end of the week. I know I need to get some better snap ring pliers. Am I missing anything ? I know I will have to wait on the drive shaft so I can measure.

I am undecided whether to remove the TC or give a try with it still in. Any advice ??

I can't wait to get rid of the TC drop.

Unread 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine still in the Jeep and would recommend it that way. I found it easier than removing the case with those six PITA nuts/studs. Here is a link that I used. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-still-695330/ I found this very helpful and a better resource than the install instructions.
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i too would suggest leaving it in the vehicle. with the 3.5" springs 35's and 1" BL and the driveshaft removed i was able to sit indian style under the jeep, it was tight but not too uncomfortable.
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine on my YJ and it was the first time I had ever torn into anything that deep before so I pulled it out and put it on a bench so that I could see and get to everything easier. I figured a couple minute struggle getting in and out was better than being uncomfortable for 45 minutes to an hour working on the TC. And yes it took me that long, reading instructions and double checking as I went so that I didn't make a mistake. Wanted to make sure I did it right the first time so I wouldn't have to take it out again. After doing it I can see where it can be done under the jeep (for experienced people) but would recommend taking it out if you are new to this type work and have never done it before.

Good Luck!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

do it in the jeep check this out
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrajcovic View Post
do it in the jeep check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hGpjCAkOvk
Well according to that it should only take 10 minutes and 7 seconds !!

I think that seals it, I'll leave it in the Jeep.

Thanks !!

Now if I could just find a D44 somewhere..........
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I took mine out and did it on a bench, if I ever do another 1 i will leave it in.
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine still installed in the Jeep. I had the rear axle up high on jackstands, so I had plenty of room underneath the Jeep to work. Once I got the back half of the case off, I brought it to the workbench to work on, and then went back under the Jeep to reinstall it.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've done both, just leave it in, it's not that much easier with it out.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've done it both ways as well, if you don't have a tranny jack or similar to help you get the TC in and out easily I'd probably just leave it in.

As far as other tools, make sure you have both a good pair of snap ring pliers and a good pair of retaining ring pliers. You'll need both kinds (ie.. there are both kinds of rings; the kind with holes in them and the kind without). I also needed to pick up the 12 point 10mm socket and the larger socket for the yoke retaining nut.

Overall it's a pretty easy job, not nearly as daunting as its made out to be. Good luck.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
irocz3489
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just for good measure, leave it under the Jeep and both kinds of pliers are a must. Don't get the supposedly "heavy duty" ones at Autozone. I used them and they sucked. But I ended up using them along with one or 2 screwdrivers and needle nose to get all the old rings off and the new ones on. Just a note of caution, wear safety glass when taking these rings off! I had one fling off and hit me right in the forehead hard enough to draw blood. I'm lucky it didn't hit me in the eye.
irocz3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
As far as other tools, make sure you have both a good pair of snap ring pliers and a good pair of retaining ring pliers. You'll need both kinds (ie.. there are both kinds of rings; the kind with holes in them and the kind without). I also needed to pick up the 12 point 10mm socket and the larger socket for the yoke retaining nut.
Personally used only lock ring pliers. Did not see anytime in process where would have need snap ring.
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine in the Jeep as well. I jacked up the rear of the Jeep with an engine hoist attached to the trailer hitch to get some big jack stands under the frame.

X2 on what everyone has said about the pliers. Don't cheap out. I bent and destroyed two pairs of cheapos before I broke down and bought a quality pair from the Matco Tool Truck.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Personally used only lock ring pliers. Did not see anytime in process where would have need snap ring.
I'm no mechanic; snap rings have the holes for the tool to be inserted into correct? And lock rings are the ones without the holes right? On my 231 the very first ring was a snap ring, all of the rest (including the new ones to install) were lock rings. Maybe there were variations in different years?
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys !
I will definitely pick up a good pair of lock ring pliers and leave it in the Jeep !

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.